IGNORED

Looking for PS3 System Recommendations

jasonbar

Howdy-

At a used car dealership promotion, I won a new TV yesterday! (47" Vizio LCD, 120Hz, wi-fi). Given that my current TV is a 25" JVC tube that I bought in 1993, this is quite a leap in TV technology for me. This necessitates some other upgrades in my audio/video rack.

At the top of the list is a PS3 to act as a good Blu-Ray player. Oh yeah, & it also plays video games & stuff too. Getting a PS3 will break my tradition of owning no consoles that are currently sold in stores, so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to details on the current systems.

Here's my question/dilemma. I prefer to minimize my console count. I currently have a fat PS2 that's modded to play imports, & it also plays PS1 US & import games.

It would be *great* if I could get a PS3 that plays PS3 games, PS2 US & import games, & PS1 US & import games. Am I dreaming?

My research has revealed that only a few of the older, bigger PS3 models could play PS2 & PS1 games (with perfect compatibility? or just *good* compatibility?), & these probably command a premium accordingly.

But, the newer PS3s are in much smaller cases & have much bigger hard drives & have some audio/video improvements. Are there any mods on current (or current-ish) small PS3 consoles that will let me play my US/import PS2/PS1 library?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

-Jason

Sounds like your going to want to hack a slim. Currently I don't think there is ANY hardware hacks to play PS1\PS2 import games on a slim. Software, there could be.

Search for PS1 emulators for it. PS2 emulators like PCSX2 probably don't exist for a hacked PS3. Then again I dont have a hacked PS3 to be into current events for it. So I have no idea.

Best bet:

Buy a slim.

Keep the hacked PS2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree getting on getting a slim and keeping that hacked PS2 (have tried to hack my PS2 for ages without luck). Personally, I have one of the fat ones that was probably made before the slim came out, and I haven't had any problems, but of course, it doesn't play PS2 games outside the ones being sold on the PSN.

I've had a chance a number of times to trade that in for the 60 gig model... but I'm leery about the age of the drive and I hear those get awfully warm.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. OK, I'll go with a new PS3 & keep my modded PS2.

So, how about hard drive size? I don't expect to play a whole heck of a lot of games. What are your recommendations on hard drive size? Does every game you pop in install onto the hard drive? What all does the machine put on the hard drive?

Thanks,

-Jason

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. OK, I'll go with a new PS3 & keep my modded PS2.

So, how about hard drive size? I don't expect to play a whole heck of a lot of games. What are your recommendations on hard drive size? Does every game you pop in install onto the hard drive? What all does the machine put on the hard drive?

Thanks,

-Jason

I have the original FAT 20GB PS3, plays PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, upgraded to 120GB with Linux install, also I have the FAT 40 GB upgraded to 300GB,

The more HD space the better, with 40GB I was running out of space pretty fast. GT5 installs 8GB, other games are less, but when you buy more games and each game installs some content then it fills out fast.

Also, game patches use even more space.

I recommend min120GB, most slim PS3 have that.