IGNORED

How to instantly destroy a game disc

Albert

So I had Dragon Age in my 360 S and decided to move the system from a horizontal position to a vertical position so it wasn't taking as much room on my desk. As I start to raise it, I hear a blood curdling screeching sound from the 360. I immediately put the 360 back down horizontally but it was too late. I took the disc out, only to find this:

dragon_age_destroyed.jpg

The visible ring close to the edge is a new addition. Needless to say, the game no longer works. I have to say, what a CRAPPY DESIGN where you can so easily ruin a $60 game. Didn't even get to play through the game once. I guess I'm just used to other optical drive solutions where moving the unit around while spinning will NOT physically damage the disc (such as the Sony Discman and various laptops I've owned).

..Al

Is the scratch in the disc deep enough to catch a finger nail on? If not try resurfacing the disk you might be able to save it. I had this happen to my copy of Zone of The Enders for the PS2 and it killed the disc. I never bothered throwing it away and tried resurfacing like a year later when my buddy bought a resurfacer, worked like a charm and the game is completely playable again.

Its why I don't own a 360 Al. I actually did at one point, but the first one red ringed on me, trade for another model, that one red ringed, got another one and then the hard drive I had died . . . after that I said enough, and just gave up.

I know my local game store resurfaces discs for $2.50 a disc. It might be salvageable . . .

Did it mess up the X-Box itself?

No, Fable 3 worked fine after that.

..Al

So the reader is heavy duty, but the disc stabilizing (or whatever it is called) stinks? I wonder what would happen if I tried that on my PS3? I would try it, but I am scared I would have even worse results than Al. I am really curious as to what internal part would gouge a disc like that.

So the reader is heavy duty, but the disc stabilizing (or whatever it is called) stinks? I wonder what would happen if I tried that on my PS3? I would try it, but I am scared I would have even worse results than Al. I am really curious as to what internal part would gouge a disc like that.

They obviously knew about this issue ahead of time. They could have added a gyroscope or some other sensor that stops the spinning disc if the angle of the Xbox change significantly. Laptops have had similar sensors to protect hard drives for years.

..Al

They obviously knew about this issue ahead of time. They could have added a gyroscope or some other sensor that stops the spinning disc if the angle of the Xbox change significantly. Laptops have had similar sensors to protect hard drives for years.

..Al

I'm surprised they didn't add that now that you mention it. I've shifted my PS3 slim with no adverse affects before.

Move a high speed optical drive's orientation while its spinning. Oops, you got what you sort of deserved... :P

As I said before, I've moved other optical drives while spinning with no adverse affects, so I didn't expect anything to happen in this case. I didn't even move the system quickly. Given that the system is designed to sit either horizontally or vertically, Microsoft knows damn well that people would change the orientation of the system while it's running. It's a crappy design.

..Al

As I said before, I've moved other optical drives while spinning with no adverse affects, so I didn't expect anything to happen in this case.

I'd only dare do that with clipped in systems, so you're braver than me.

Given that the system is designed to sit either horizontally or vertically, Microsoft knows damn well that people would change the orientation of the system while it's running.

Like it or not, they actually specifically tell you not do to that while it's powered on.

I'd only dare do that with clipped in systems, so you're braver than me.

I wasn't really thinking about it, I just wanted to move the system, checked to see which side had the feet to stand it up vertically, and moved it. It's not something I do on a routine basis (and certainly not something I'd do with a 360 again!!)

Like it or not, they actually specifically tell you not do to that while it's powered on.

Yeah, well, I didn't learn about this until after the fact.

..Al

I wasn't really thinking about it, I just wanted to move the system, checked to see which side had the feet to stand it up vertically, and moved it. It's not something I do on a routine basis (and certainly not something I'd do with a 360 again!!)

Yeah, well, I didn't learn about this until after the fact.

..Al

I remember some big bold text in the documentation not to move your 360 while a spinning disc is in place.

Would you turn your desktop PC or laptop from horizontal to vertical while installing software?

• Like 1

I feel for you man, that's definitely a disappointment.

Not to harp on the subject, but in my personal experience the only systems where I'd feel comfortable to move a spinning disc is with drives where you actually press down the disc and it 'clicks into' the drive. Examples include any laptop I've ever had or the Gamecube, a Sony Discman as you mentioned, etc.

I can't remember, but doesn't the PS2 have discs set into the tray just like the 360? If so, I'd have to guess the same thing would happen in that as well.

I remember some big bold text in the documentation not to move your 360 while a spinning disc is in place.

Would you turn your desktop PC or laptop from horizontal to vertical while installing software?

Yes, I have turned my laptop on its side while the disc has been spinning, with no ill effects. Same thing with various CD-based music players (and many years ago with them!) I have no need to turn my desktop computer from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa), since it's only designed to sit in the vertical orientation.

Sure, there may be a mention of this in the manual, but who reads manuals for consoles these days? This is poor engineering and/or the desire to use inexpensive optical drives on Microsoft's part. I've certainly learned my lesson, to be sure, but I doubt I'll buy another Microsoft console after my first one RROD'd and now this.

..Al

Not to harp on the subject, but in my personal experience the only systems where I'd feel comfortable to move a spinning disc is with drives where you actually press down the disc and it 'clicks into' the drive. Examples include any laptop I've ever had or the Gamecube, a Sony Discman as you mentioned, etc.

The last several laptops I've owned (MacBooks and MacBook Pros) have a slot drive, same as the PS3 and Wii.

I can't remember, but doesn't the PS2 have discs set into the tray just like the 360? If so, I'd have to guess the same thing would happen in that as well.

Yes, the PS2 (at least the original, I have no idea about the smaller model) has a disc tray.

..Al

This is a known issue, that they never addressed. It sucks that it happened to you :(

However, I do have a solution. Rent the game/borrow the game from a friend, and install it to your hard drive in the 360. That way it just needs the disc to verify/start the game. Problem solved :)

EDIT: The ps2 slim has a clip in for the DVD, just like a laptop does.

Edited by keilbaca

However, I do have a solution. Rent the game/borrow the game from a friend, and install it to your hard drive in the 360. That way it just needs the disc to verify/start the game. Problem solved :)

Yep that's a great idea to try if a resurface fails. I'd recommend installing any game that you'll be playing for a considerable time anyway, saves you time and wear and tear on the DVD mech.

• Like 1

Did it mess up the X-Box itself?

No, Fable 3 worked fine after that.

..Al

Ps3 doesnt ruin your disc like this..you can play catch with a ps3 and the disc is still in tact when spinning and it will play flawlessly..unless you malicously beat the thing...

X360 is notorious for this ring of death on their discs...and the red ring of death on their systems....

I think wii will also eat your game disc if I recall correctly from personal testing