IGNORED

Hello, new guy here.

DrTypo

Hello,

first let me introduce myself: I'm 34 year old guy from France.

I had and still have a few Atari machines:

- Atari 800XL: I started playing games on this machine when I was a kid. My parents sold this machine a long time ago.

- Atari 1040STf: played a lot on this machine and started programming in STOS. It is currently gathering dust.

- Atari Falcon: I learned assembly on this machine. It was also gathering dust until I got it back running a few months ago. It is funny to see it connected to a 22" LCD monitor.

- Atari Jaguar. I'm in the process of undusting it.

At the time, the Jaguar was for me a bit of a disappointment. However I was intrigued by its hardware. It was frustrating not to be able to program it.

I became aware of the homebrew community around it, however I was reluctant to invest time and money to get starting developping on it.

Then Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 was released! While still not perfect, the emulation is much better than before.

Now I started developping on it. I'm discovering the Jaguar's hardware and I find the machine very interesting.

But I'd like to develop on the real thing!

Problem is that the options seem to be extremly limited, almost non existant:

- Alpine Board: very rare. Extremly expensive. There is a full Jaguar Alpine dev kit on ebay for 4500€!!!!

- Skunkboard. Last batch ordering was closed last year. Shipping now. The chance of getting one seems low.

- BJL mod: I can't do the mod myself. It seems there is a possibilty of getting a BJL modded Jaguar.

- JagCF: not available yet.

So here it is.

If anyone is selling a Skunkboard or a BJL mod Jaguar, I'm interested.

Regards,

--

DrTypo

Edited by DrTypo

DrTypo, i do have a bjl jaguar here for sale if you are interested. It does not come with the transfer cable but the system is modified to allow upload of homebrew software. Also there is a company state-side that does sell Alpine development setups for around $600 USD. Not cheap, but does the job and has a debugger.

These are probably both the easiest devkits to obtain while the skunk is probably the hardest to get ahold of now.

I'm interested in your bjl jaguar. I have a few questions:

- I see that the cable needed is a DB25 cable. I would need an adapter to use it on my PC. Does the transfer software work on a Win7 64 PC?

I could use the Falcon I guess but the setup would become cumbersome...

- Could I use my french power supply on a US Jaguar?

- Does the company selling the Alpine setup has a website? I didn't manage to find it on Google.

Regards,

--

DrTypo

I'm interested in your bjl jaguar. I have a few questions:

- I see that the cable needed is a DB25 cable. I would need an adapter to use it on my PC. Does the transfer software work on a Win7 64 PC?

I think so, but you need either a parallel port on the motherboard, or a PCI/PCIe/ExpressCard parallel port. USB parallel ports don't work.

- Could I use my french power supply on a US Jaguar?
Yes.

- Does the company selling the Alpine setup has a website? I didn't manage to find it on Google.
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Hello,

thanks for the answers. I tested the bjl loader I found over here, just to see if the program starts on Win7 64.

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/advert-g2.htm

It doesn't, it's a 16bit app.

It runs under DOS Box though. Would the parallel port work through DOS Box?

The loader program also starts on my WinVista 32 PC but I'd rather use my newest PC.

--

DrTypo

These are probably both the easiest devkits to obtain while the skunk is probably the hardest to get ahold of now.

The Skunkboard is currently available for commercial pre-order, so I dunno about that statement. Visit GoatStore.com.

I'd wager at this point there are a lot more Skunkboards out there than Alpines, too, they can't possibly /still/ be the most rare solution?? :)

The Skunkboard is currently available for commercial pre-order, so I dunno about that statement. Visit GoatStore.com.

I'd wager at this point there are a lot more Skunkboards out there than Alpines, too, they can't possibly /still/ be the most rare solution?? :)

At the time that was written, the new surplus of the skunks had not been announced yet.

At the time that was written, the new surplus of the skunks had not been announced yet.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't calling you out! :)

My thinking even then was there were about 350 of them out there already at that point... that's got to help at least the used availability compared to Alpines.

Besides, I've been telling people to get on the list for surplus for a month, even if I didn't outright say they'd exist (because I wanted to be 100% certain before I would let Dan announce them). ;)

No worries either way!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

What's about the idea of testing the home made homebrew directly on Jag CD, now we have easy tool than Jiffy or ULS?

The very best solutio would be a Jag Cd which can read CD-RW instead of only CD-R to prevent having to burn a brand new CD-R each time we want to test the result on a real Jag.

Special dedicace: Merkki pour ton jeu Shoot em up ^^

Moikka Turrsi; en tieda mutta ajatelen etta sina on suomalienen. On ranskalainen mutta asuin sumoessa ja pidan paljon suomesta.

Valitetavasti en puhun sujuvasti suomea :(

I catch the Jaguar virus when I get back to France otherwise I would have been very please to get to know you while I was Finland, assuming you're finnish as I suppose.

Edited by Felyx

Hi,

What's about the idea of testing the home made homebrew directly on Jag CD, now we have easy tool than Jiffy or ULS?

The very best solutio would be a Jag Cd which can read CD-RW instead of only CD-R to prevent having to burn a brand new CD-R each time we want to test the result on a real Jag.

Special dedicace: Merkki pour ton jeu Shoot em up ^^

Moikka Turrsi; en tieda mutta ajatelen etta sina on suomalienen. On ranskalainen mutta asuin sumoessa ja pidan paljon suomesta.

Valitetavasti en puhun sujuvasti suomea :(

I catch the Jaguar virus when I get back to France otherwise I would have been very please to get to know you while I was Finland, assuming you're finnish as I suppose.

He's Canadian. Close enough I guess! :P