IGNORED

HSC Round 4.17: Holiday Season Craptacular

VectorGamer

Black Hole 1,980

Yeah, this game blows

Cops N Robbers 24

Took awhile to get used to the controls but not bad :)

Desert Gun 5,500

This is a great game! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Donkey Kong 16,000

Overrated

Frogs 3,300

I like these short quick games. :)

Pool Shark 44

Another great game!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Donkey Kong overrated? Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion-lol. I personally love the game, it's gotten better over time and so have I. I was only 11 when it came out, and I thought I was pretty good at it at the time(hehe boy was I wrong!). I think my personal best was right around 93,000. I recently got 420,300 & love the challenge of this game. Every game is so random, but I didn't know about controlling barrels when I was a kid. There are other tips/tricks that have made me get better at this game. Watching the King of Kong & seeing Steve Wiebe & Billy Mitchell both play it side-by-side has helped immensely.

I am submitting my score I got tonight with 305,400. Sad thing is, I got to 204,000 before losing my first life. My goal is to eventually get to a kill screen, but I'm a long ways off still. It's hard actually playing it on an emulator using the arrow keys and the ctrl as the jump. I wonder if I actually had an arcade-style joystick if I could get an even higher score. Eventually I will invest in one.

post-2353-0-51273800-1325132421_thumb.png

Donkey Kong overrated? Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion-lol. I personally love the game, it's gotten better over time and so have I. I was only 11 when it came out, and I thought I was pretty good at it at the time(hehe boy was I wrong!). I think my personal best was right around 93,000. I recently got 420,300 & love the challenge of this game. Every game is so random, but I didn't know about controlling barrels when I was a kid. There are other tips/tricks that have made me get better at this game. Watching the King of Kong & seeing Steve Wiebe & Billy Mitchell both play it side-by-side has helped immensely.

I am submitting my score I got tonight with 305,400. Sad thing is, I got to 204,000 before losing my first life. My goal is to eventually get to a kill screen, but I'm a long ways off still. It's hard actually playing it on an emulator using the arrow keys and the ctrl as the jump. I wonder if I actually had an arcade-style joystick if I could get an even higher score. Eventually I will invest in one.

While I won't go head over heels for it, I find that Donkey Kong is a fun game that takes pinpoint control and has decent gameplay. Like PacMan, it has stood the test of time and is still played on a regular basis by classic gamers everywhere.

@acelkin - I would have to believe that if you got yourself either a custom cabinet (similar to Cynicasters) or an X-Arcade console (similar to mine) then you would be roaming around in 500,000 territory in Donkey Kong, FOR FUN! 305,400 is an amazing score for using such a lousy controller such as a computer keyboard!!

My personal best on DK is level 5. Shooting to get to level 6 for this tournament.

My goal is to eventually get to a kill screen, but I'm a long ways off still.

Please see Brian Kuh. I hear he knows quite a bit about kill screens. He's bloody obsessed with them, that's all he thinks about!! (Too bad he still has yet to get one!)

In case you didn't know, Brian Kuh is one of Billy Mitchell's disciples in the movie The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters.

Edited by M.A.M.E Offender

lol yes @M.A.M.E. Offender I own KOK and think that whole Brian Kuh thing is hilarious! Have you seen the shirt? Might have to pick one of those up ; ) I would be kidding myself to try & say my goal is the world record, so a kill screen would be maybe an obtainable goal, probably not, but we'll see.

@ Rmaerz I told you I'm not a very good point-presser, in fact, it nearly ruined 'my' game! hehe I saw the high score was over 40K & said forget it. I'm lucky to get 7-8K on the first board. I believe my highest on the barrel challenge was 28,000 something, which is right around 7k per guy. Now I try & point press for the first 3 levels, after that it's all survival mode & just trying to get through as many boards/levels as possible. Using a solid joystick to control the barrels definitely would help.

post-2353-0-12132000-1325203251_thumb.jpg

Bigbee99 that's a good score on Satan's Hollow-tell me your strategy. I always try & build the bridges right away & on every level, but I think it distracts me too much as the game gets really hard (for me) quickly. I think if I just focused on clearing the waves of enemies I'd do better.

Mr Toast-I actually use my Logitech Dual Action for this one, one analog stick for moving & then the 1/2/3/4 buttons arranged to fire for each direction. Have the same setup for Robotron, seems to work pretty good, but it's another one I'm not very good at. I am not sure what strategy to take on this one either, do you go after all the treasures on the early levels & then take what you can get as the game progresses?

Bigbee99 that's a good score on Satan's Hollow-tell me your strategy. I always try & build the bridges right away & on every level, but I think it distracts me too much as the game gets really hard (for me) quickly. I think if I just focused on clearing the waves of enemies I'd do better.

Mr Toast-I actually use my Logitech Dual Action for this one, one analog stick for moving & then the 1/2/3/4 buttons arranged to fire for each direction. Have the same setup for Robotron, seems to work pretty good, but it's another one I'm not very good at. I am not sure what strategy to take on this one either, do you go after all the treasures on the early levels & then take what you can get as the game progresses?

I use 1 controller too.

The d pad to move and 4 fire buttons to fire.

Works great on 2 controller games like Smash TV, Total Carnage, Robotron, Black Widow.

I just try to get a couple treasures and move on to the next level.

I cross the bridge on the 4th level. When you cross the bridge and kill the devil, it ups your gun from 2 shot on screen to 4 shot. After that I focus on the enemies and build the bridge between levels until the game loops back to the 1st screen with only 8 enemies. Then I take my time and build the bridge again. I use the bridge to skip the levels with a lot of enemies when I can.

Satans Hallow 64670

B

Edited by bigbee99

Frog,: 4,400

post-25394-0-08786200-1325351430_thumb.png

DK: 18,100

Note: I can do better, usually around 100k

post-25394-0-62880300-1325351430_thumb.png

Subs: 20

post-25394-0-50975900-1325351669_thumb.png

Space Dungeon: 24,135

Note:Excellent game, a mix of robotron and frenzy.

post-25394-0-73867000-1325351849_thumb.png

Pool: 42

Note: I like this one a lot too.

post-25394-0-97161100-1325351897_thumb.png

Desert Gun: 10,400

Note: anybody know if the 4 things at the bottom does anything?

post-25394-0-56505100-1325351918_thumb.png

Cops and robbers: 42

Note: very fun.

post-25394-0-97203800-1325352112_thumb.png

Black Hole: 6,800

post-25394-0-36324000-1325352181_thumb.png

Altair: 4,910

Note: I have some problems to control the direction of the ship!

post-25394-0-17459800-1325352246_thumb.png

The only score I'm missing is Satan's Hollow ... my lease favorite game of the 10.

post-25394-0-84646600-1325351762_thumb.png