IGNORED

is round up the only STAMPEDE clone

Marius

Oh the speed now is good. Strange... first it wasn't, now it is...

One other thing: there is something going wrong with the skulls and the black cows.

They now appear randomly, but they should appear only after catching a complete bunch of darkbrown cows.

First a skull, then a black cow.

There is a pattern in this, it is not random. Can you please take a look at that again?

Thanks!

It is so strange... now it acts normal. There must be something weird with the game I downloaded. i will take a further look into it. Sorry for all the misunderstandings from my side. Feel a little bit stupid now haha

Edited by ProWizard

I have been playing it now for hours, and it is a great conversion phaeron! Thanks a lot.

There is one slight difference, which bugs me a tiny bit:

On the 2600 version a cow that is passed only PARTLY on the left side of the screen in a cattle, is 'restorable' when you hit the cattle, and then this halfway passed cow will run.

On this port as soon as a cow hits the left border, it's immediately lost.

It should be this way:

As long as a cow is partly visible, it can still be 'caught'.

I hope I made my explanation clear (I'm not a native English writer). And I hope you could investigate that.

But, even when it stays this way: this is a GREAT port, which I'm very happy with!

@kenjennings

In that case you are right. I mean this:

When you have a row of two or three cows and the first cow is partly passed (even passed a part of the screen border) you can rescue this one still on the 2600.

As soon as a cow is 100% passed the screen border it is lost.

This is different in this conversion.

@goochman

What you describe is in round up. Not in stampede. In stampede you lose a cow as soon as it is crossed the screen border.

In this conversion you already lose a cow as soon as it touches the screen border.

(I think this Reply describes the differences between 2600 version and this port best)

@phaeron

I'm just curious: did you see my comment(s) about the issue I have with the passing cows? The game is already very cool the way it works now!

I hope you can take a look at it one more time for that passing thing, since it seems that the game is a bit too hard now (at least when you are used to how it works on the 2600).

On my Atari 8bit I have a great game called Round Up.

On my Atari 2600 I had a similar game called Stampede.

But: I like Stampede a bit more... there is this 'bull' you have to avoid, which isn't in Round Up.

Those games look terrible (old, older, oldest) but the gameplay is really good for a lot of fun.

I could not find a real Stampede for Atari 8bit.

Does anyone have a more similar like the 2600 version for me?

Thanks

M.

I vaguely remember playing a stampede like game on my 400. I know I didn't buy it or copy it so I'm thinking it was a type in game. I subscribed to Analog at the time. Anyone remember this being a type in?

I have tried the game today, and this one is indeed better, although I still notice a difference between 2600 and XL/XE.

To be sure, I have observed the game on my 2600 (without playing, just watching) and I can report now:

On 2600 the cow is actually lost when it is passed for 100% the screen border. As long as the cow is visible it is fine-scrolling from right to left.

As soon as it is completely invisible you hear a beep and the cow is lost.

On XL I see this happening: the cow is moving from right to left, it now passes the screen border for about 60% then it suddenly disappears and the beep is heard.

One side-effect of the adjustment of the horizontal placement is now that the colors of the cows on the right side of the screen is made too late. So the cows appear on the right side, and in short while they turn from color x into color y (which probably happened outside the screen before).

Anyone else having this? Or is it a TV-adjustment issue?

It's a complication of the way the 2600 displays sprites and emulating that on the 400/800.

On the 2600, Stampede uses the playfield to mask 8 color clocks on the left and right sides of the screen. This is needed to hide the HMOVE bars on the left and the entry of the cows on the right. TIA doesn't support partially offscreen sprites -- they wrap straight from the right to left sides within the 160 color clock active display region.

In the port, the GTIA playfield is used to display the cows, so they clip within a 160 color clock window as well. However, with the playfield being used for the cows, all four players being used for the cowboy, and two missiles used for the lasso, there isn't much left available to use to mask the playfield down to 144 color clocks. There are two missiles available (M2/M3), but currently they are sharing the cowboy color with P2/P3. It might be possible to reconfigure the player graphics to free up P3/M3 for masking, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

• 8 months later...

Game seems to lock up after a bit... Any updates?

That's odd... This summer I have been playing this game for hours (yes, I'm nuts...) and I haven't had any lockups at all.

Only thing I have to add is that I play the version before the last one, since I can't get used to those sprites that changed colors while they were already on the screen.

Perhaps the issue you describe is in the latest version only...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

OK, I'm necro-bumping a dead horse here, but (for myself) I've taken phaeron's Stampede conversion and made it into an 8K CAR version, just so I could put it onto a real (EPROM) cartridge.  Nothing fancy, it just dumps the XEX version into memory and runs it.

I patched it up to make it "couch compatible" a little, as you can now start the game with the trigger button (just hold it down briefly).  You still must use the "option" key to set levels.  I did this rather quickly, and mostly just for myself.  So any accidental bugs are my own fault, but I think it's OK.  Posting just in case someone else might want it too...

stampede.car

• Like 2