IGNORED

Dave's "you guess the verdict!" challenge!

davidcalgary29

Frank is one of my clients. Poor guy -- he's a terrible driver and he's got himself into trouble once again. Last July, Frank was nearing an intersection when (according to him) he saw a driver ahead of him slow down. He also slowed down. He did a check, thought the driver in front of him was proceeding, and drove forward. Unfortunately, he rear-ended the driver in front of him, causing much hysteria, hand-wringing, and self-analysis. Frank has been charged with the following traffic tickets:

1. Careless driving ("driving without due care and attention...")

2. Failing to provide insurance.

Driving conditions at the time of the accident were:

1. wet. It was raining.

2. Visibility was rather poor.

3. Frank's English is "Benigniesque" and he's often confused by instructions (e.g. "Frank --you have to come in to see me! I'm your lawyer! Hello? (Frank hangs up))

GUESS THE VERDICT!

In Alberta, traffic law follow the rules of Canadian Criminal Law. In other words, the Crown Prosecutor has to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that ol' Frank is guilty as sin.

HINTS:

1. It is permissible to plead guilty to lesser traffic charges.

2. The maximum fine imposed for both tickets is $1000.

THE PRIZE:

I'm running his trial next Thursday. Can you guess what the verdict will be? The winner will win either a boxed "Gates of Zendocon" OR a loose "Toki" for the Atari Lynx. Ties will be decided by a flip of the coin OR by the closest correct guess for the number of traffic tickets that Frank has on his driving abstract!

Contest closes Thursday, January 16!

Didn't someone make a Crazy 8 homebrew or something? Why don't you take that game and an Atari into the courtroom, set everything up and let Frank's fate be decided by 1.19 Mhz of raw power. :-D

Here's my take...

Frank will bring proof of insurance, thus having that charge dismissed.

He jacked up the other car from behind; that's a fact. Pleading "rain interferance" and the fact that he brought in proof of insurance, he'll have that charge reduced to guilty at a reduced fine of $500.

For the tie-breaker, I suspect Frankie Goes To HollyCourt has about 6 tickets total, most being normal driving infractions. :-D

"Don't let 'the man' beat you down, Frank!" ...Stupid drivers...

ò¿ó        smile_to_atari.gif

Bad news! Frank has bronchitis, and couldn't make it to his trial today.

My application to adjourn was accepted, and Frank's trial will now be heard on March 31st!

To compensate for the delay, I'm adding these additional prizes:

1. an original, boxless copy of "Castle Wolfenstein" for the 8-bits; and

2. an original, boxless copy of "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" for the 8-bits.

• 2 months later...