IGNORED

Help repairing SMS controllers

bennybingo

I just got my first Sega Master System and the console works fine, but the controllers work intermittently....actually, hardy at all.

I searched on the AA forum and also google, but haven't found any walkthroughs on how to clean / repair these, so I figured I would ask here directly. Any help would be appreciated!

I just got my first Sega Master System and the console works fine, but the controllers work intermittently....actually, hardy at all.

I searched on the AA forum and also google, but haven't found any walkthroughs on how to clean / repair these, so I figured I would ask here directly. Any help would be appreciated!

Open clean button contacts with q tip and alcohol... clean inside of plunger with DRY q tip just removing the dirt... this fixes like 90% of them

• Like 1

Thanks! Are there any tricky aspects to getting these back together after cleaning...I just want to avoid any "oops" moments.

There's really not much to them, pretty much the same thing as putting a nes controller back together... just make sure all of the plungers line up with the contacts... if you mess it up then no harm just take it apart and try again I really don't think there's anything you could do in the taking apart and putting back together that will hurt those things short of striping a screw... and if you need anything stronger to clean the contacts I always use brasso... but everyone has their own thing, its the same as cleaning the contacts on a cart... post when you're done im like 99% sure that'll do the trick if not the board may be cracked or it has some other pretty much fatal problem...

Good luck!

• Like 2

Try using a piece of metal across the contacts when you have it plugged in - that should at least give you a better idea if it is the wire harness. If the metal works you can try supergluing some tinfoil on the inside of the plungers over the carbon - worked great on my universal remote control. The only caveat with wire harness replacement is to make sure your new one has all the wires and you know which wires go where (colors may vary).