IGNORED

Mega Drive>Genesis

Zeptari

I found a mega drive game in the wild, and guess what? It works on

My model 2 genesis just fine. The game: Kid Chameleon

Bonus: the end label is in color (colour)! Much better loking then

The genesis plain old white text.

Anyone else have any megadrive games that play fine in a genny?

-rick

I think most of the MD games will play on a Genny, with the cart port mod; afaik there was no region locking, as S. American MD games will also play with no problem on the Genesis. There are S. American titles that were never released anywhere else, great to have Mercado Libre out there, and many of them are super cheap to buy, shipping is the issue.

Kid Chameleon showing up in the States with a Mega Drive label is a known "thing". I don't remember what the exact explanation was -- it may have been a Canadian version? -- but my copy also has the Mega Drive label.

My Japanese games will play perfectly, but both of the PAL games I've owned had region lockout. In both cases you could use a Game Genie, so not a big deal with Worms, but it makes Soleil unplayable since you can't save through a GG. :( Gotta region-mod my Genesis someday...

http://videojuegos.m...-drive_Desde_51

there is the website, some are way overpriced but some are very cheap. LOTS of clone hardware, gotta love AtGames (kinda but not really)

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-135887562-sega-genesis-mega-drive-lote-16-cartuchos-juegos-_JM

I really wish somebody here would buy this lot. Google currency converter says this is $30USD before shipping.

Edited by nathanallan
  • Like 1

I think most of the MD games will play on a Genny, with the cart port mod; afaik there was no region locking, as S. American MD games will also play with no problem on the Genesis. There are S. American titles that were never released anywhere else, great to have Mercado Libre out there, and many of them are super cheap to buy, shipping is the issue.

Region locking was only done by cartridge shape.

Individual games could check the region, but it only had US/JP and 50/60 region options. Some Japanese games would change menus between Japanese and English based on the input, and US Gauntlet IV would refuse to run on a Japanese unit.

The Sega CD is another matter. Not only does its ROM check the console region, but the region locking on discs was done with special code that was actually a different size for each region.

Region locking was only done by cartridge shape.

Individual games could check the region, but it only had US/JP and 50/60 region options. Some Japanese games would change menus between Japanese and English based on the input, and US Gauntlet IV would refuse to run on a Japanese unit.

The Sega CD is another matter. Not only does its ROM check the console region, but the region locking on discs was done with special code that was actually a different size for each region.

Sorry, but I have some US games that will not play in Japanese mode and vice versa. It comes up with the wonderful message, "This game developed only for blah blah blah". After a quick check of a handful of games I found these:

Asian that won't play in US mode:

Shining Force II (JPN)

Ragnacenty (KOREA)

Light Crusader (KOREA)

The Story of Thor (KOREA)

US that won't play in JPN mode:

Soldiers of Fortune

Sonic Spinball

Tinhead

Tiny Toon Adventures Buster's Hidden Treasure (No error message but sits at Konami logo)

As far as S. American games go, I have no idea.

I think Bruce's point was that the cartridge locks out the console, rather than the other way around. All the Genesis does is tell you what region it's from; the rest is up to the cart. Yes, there's TMSS, but that's not used for region protection.

The Sega Master System is an example of a console that locks out carts -- if it doesn't have a certain header (which isn't found in Japanese games), it won't boot the cart. Similarly, the NES looks for authentication hardware in the cartridge, and refuses to boot if that hardware's not detected.

• 10 years later...
On 12/22/2011 at 2:12 AM, Zeptari1 said:

Anyone else have any megadrive games that play fine in a genny?

-rick

Genesis is just the name they gave to the Mega Drive in the US, other than South Korea the entire world called it Mega Drive, it's the same console.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, M-S said:

Genesis is just the name they gave to the Mega Drive in the US, other than South Korea the entire world called it Mega Drive, it's the same console.

Yeah I totally get that.. I was just giving @bloodreptile a hard time with a 10 year bump for a physical megadrive release of xenon 2.