IGNORED

Do old saves work with Fallout 3 (Game of the Year Edition)?

Random Terrain

I now have Fallout 3 (Game of the Year Edition), but I played the older version first for a little while, so I have some saved games. Now that I have installed the stuff from the second disc, do I need to start all over again, or will my old saves work fine? I don't want to miss out on anything because of an old save messing things up and 'cock blocking' new content.

Thanks.

All GotY is is the original game with an addon disc. So there is no reason for the save not to load. It is no different from putting in the original disc with all the addons downloaded from Live. I played this game for a few weeks before Skyrim was released. I wish I had started earlier because I keep getting an itch to get back to Fallout 3. Too many games and too little time.

• Like 1

All GotY is is the original game with an addon disc. So there is no reason for the save not to load. It is no different from putting in the original disc with all the addons downloaded from Live. I played this game for a few weeks before Skyrim was released. I wish I had started earlier because I keep getting an itch to get back to Fallout 3. Too many games and too little time.

I know how you feel (too little time). I got Skyrim during the break from my in-laws, but I couldn't really play it because the text is unreadable on standard def TVs. Now that I am home, real life looms large.

Anyway, I am glad some asked this about this as my original Fallout 3 disc is cracked, and the GOTY edition is around the $20 range these days.

Yes, the "Vanilla" game saves will work with the GOTY version of the game. Here's the kicker. The GOTY saves will work with the original game as well....however, you won't have access to GOTY stuff (which could be whole levels, certain inventory items....I should load a save from somewhere in a GOTY specific area on an old game and see what happens....probably crashes)

• Like 1

Yes, the "Vanilla" game saves will work with the GOTY version of the game. Here's the kicker. The GOTY saves will work with the original game as well....however, you won't have access to GOTY stuff (which could be whole levels, certain inventory items....I should load a save from somewhere in a GOTY specific area on an old game and see what happens....probably crashes)

No. Oblivion had the ability to load saves that were created with addons and expansions enabled, which is all GOTY is, without issue. It will warn you that content enabled when the save was made will be unavailable. I believe that if you load a game where you are physically located within an addon it will load you in the place where that addon would be located which was often an open area in the game. In the case that something was added in a totally different place like Mothership Zeta or something then I think there is some common location that it will drop you. I would be interested to know where you find yourself if you saved in a place totally outside the wasteland like that and then loaded the game with the addons disabled.

This reflects the difference between a GOTY Morrowind for Xbox and a GOTY Oblivion or Fallout. With Morrowind the expansions were built in and the xbe was different. You could upgrade your original save to GOTY but you couldn't go the other way. Now that we live in a world of console DLC they simply take the original release, apply any patches that were released, and pack the same addons that are available for download in so that the XBE is exactly the same whether you are playing the original game or the GOTY. With the original game they had to provide a way to continue playing without addons or the removal of addons would break your game. Since GOTY is just the same stuff with different packaging the behavior is the same.

Nifty. I only played Morrowind on the PC (buggy as hell, chugtastic and crashaholic as it was)

Yeah, after trying Oblivion again, I tried loading an oblivion save (for one of the game saves from shivering isle, I think) and yeah, it just dropped me in the lake.

I can't seem to even find any fallout games, it seems I lost all that when my old xbox died on me, and I had already lost interest in the series by the time I got GOTY for it, much less by the time I'd have to replay though the game on my new system.