IGNORED

Trashmania: Remix (Now with beginner's guide!)

Animan

Trashmania: Remix Cart release  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Trashmania: Remix is released on cartridge, would you be willing to buy it?

• Yes
    • No (if you want, you can explain why in the topic)
    • Maybe

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

What began as a totally different game has evolved into a new Trashmania-inspired game. (Trashmania being an earlier homebrew of mine from 2 years back.)

Trashmania: Remix Gameplay Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZFBL1xov0

*video is of an older version, but still relevant.

Trashmania: Remix for Beginners:

Trashmania_Sida_A.png

Trashmania_Side_B.png

NOTES ON THE LATEST UPDATE CAN BE FOUND HERE.

default.bas.bin

post-23192-0-25981700-1328050502_thumb.png

Trashmania - Remix (Latest Build Dec 03 2012).bin

Edited by Animan
  • Like 4

I like the gameplay and the initial speed. Entertaining.

The player slows down a bit much when the last trashcan is grabbed. I find it difficult to impossible to avoid the red dot.

Scoring sometimes blocks out. Also would like to see the green playfield at least a line or two from the top.

Keep at it. Looks promising.

Edited by jdrose

Small update:

-Sound effects have been added in. (I like how the "trashcans reappear" sound effect turned out).

-Instead of a hole appearing, a green block appears (this is the dumpster).

-Some timing issues are fixed.

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing the score bar to display garbage on occasion. Any ideas?

default.bas.bin

What? Nobody has anything to say?

There isn't much to say yet. Walking back and forth isn't fun to me.

Looks like the dumpster can disappear forever if you bring down only one can at a time.

About the score, have you read this stuff:

http://www.randomter...ands.html#score

To change the score, some examples of valid operations are:

score = 1000

score = score + 2000

score = score - 10

score = score + a

Be careful when using the last one. It will compile, but upon execution, a must always be a BCD compliant number. If a non-BCD number is in a, part of your score may end up garbled.

Been busy with school, but had some time to add/change a few things.

-Fixed scorebar bug (thanks RT).

-Fixed the dumpster bug where sometimes it would not show up.

-Playfield heights feature has been removed so I can use Playfield (technically, they can both be used, but both the colors and heights would be fixed. I want to have different-colored levels). House graphics have been changed to compensate.

-Currently, the houses are blue, and the dumpster is green.

-Instead of missile0 being used for enemy, i'm now using the ball.

-Using Playfield colors, the enemy will now cycle through purple and yellow colors when it's in the middle section of the screen.

-Minor sound effect changes.

default.bas.bin

• Like 2

Yet another small update, but it introduces a major feature... Hologram Joe.

Quite simply, dispatch Hologram Joe with the Fire button, and he'll lure away the enemy. That is, until the enemy kills the decoy. After that, you can simply dispatch him again.

Later, I plan on making it so Hologram Joe is an item that randomly shows up on the screen that you can pick up and use.

I also took the time to test this game on real hardware (via Harmony Cartridge), and it looks and sounds very nice (so far).

Anyway, enjoy!

default.bas.bin

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

Ok, here's a bigger update.

-Multiple Levels! At the moment, it only cycles through different color schemes. You advance to the next level after delivering trash to the dumpster 10 times (doesn't matter how much trash to deliver).

-Enemy actually kills you!

-When you are killed, a game over tune will play, and you press the reset switch to reset.

-Enemy gets faster in each level.

-Title Screen before you start the game. Nothing too crazy, but I plan on adding music later on...

-Hologram Joes can only be acquired by delivering trash to the dumpster. You can only use him once until you deliver more trash, so use him wisely! If you deliver trash while Hologram Joe is still activated, he'll disappear, and you'll have another one to use.

-You can't go through the houses anymore.

ACrystal2011 had an interesting idea of Hologram Joe costing points. I might consider it later on :) .

Enjoy! And leave feedback!

default.bas.bin

• Like 1

OK, here's another update. This might be the last one for a little bit, since I have a lot going on this week.

-Title Screen Music. Randomly-generated title screen music! I love how it turned out. It also sounds a lot better on real hardware, I think.

-Fixed timing problems when you go to dumpster.

Enjoy! And once again, give feedback!

Trashmania-Remix.bin

• Like 1

After playing a bit more I think it needs some something to make it not always the same. Maybe have it so after you return enough trash cans in goes to a new level where the cans are in differant places so you have to change your strategy.

I partly had that idea in mind when I made it so the dumpster appears in a random location at the bottom. I'll try your idea when I have time to.

• Like 1

Ok, was able to squeeze some programming time in today.

-On the Title Screen, flip the B/W switch, and now YOU are in control of the bass lead line! Move the joystick in a different direction to select each note, and hold the fire button to have it play that note. I'm just having too much fun with this music generator!

-The other addition is doors! In levels 2 and up the houses will close their doors every second or so, and will be closed for a longer period of time as you progress. When the doors is closed, you can't grab the trashcan. You just sit and wait until it opens again. I tried messing with the doors randomly closing, but it felt a bit unfair (in a bad way).

Enjoy! And as always, leave feedback!

default.bas.bin

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1