IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

1) I've played quite a lot of Scramble, so I'll get to playing this when I can, and give my opinion on how the game plays, and how the difficulty ramps up.

2) Definitely need separate laser and bomb buttons for the game, no question about it.

I've played a lot of Scramble. It's the first game that I wondered "what was at at the end" when I was a kid. I had my mom buy me the Tomy handheld so I could finally see it. :lol: But I've gotten much better at the arcade game through the years naturally. :P

1. For the people who have played this extensively, how does the difficulty ramp up once you destroy the base?

1) Primarily: Your fuel depletes a LOT faster. The more times you kill the base, the faster your fuel depletes

2) More rockets actually launch throughout the game. Not exteremely much though.

3) The game however does not get faster. The game scrolling doesnt speed up, etc.

2. I remember when I played this, I always used to hit the 'bomb' and 'laser' buttons simultaneously. Do I need to separate the two here? Or can I use one button for both (i.e. more controller compatibility)?

Needs to be separate. But I don't see too much of a problem combining them.. it'd still be playable. The handheld version was that way anyway :lol: If you could give the option for both that'd be optimum. But if you had to choose ONE way.. then it has to be separate.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I'm going to steal the button auto-detect from the Asteroids code so the system knows which controller you are using. :)

@NE146: Thanks for the specifics :) I'll make sure to implement that. I think for the 'Easy' mode, I'll make none of the rockets launch at first.

@NRV: Thank you for the links - although I had already looked at both of those pages :)

@Rybags: Those two extra columns (232 pixels instead of 224 - one column on either end) were the scrolling columns. They were there to make sure that 224 pixels are always on the screen. The problem is, with using 320 mode,4 shots, 2 bombs, and 2 enemies (there are supposed to be 4) I am already over using Maria (it shows as me using 425 Maria Cycles and the maximum stable cycles is 417). And that is after making some cutbacks: No masking for the scrolling (don't have a 'black' color to spare anyway), and two enemies have to share a display list with the other two (I noticed there are only four 'sprite' enemies on the screen at one time on the arcade, and this 'sharing' limitation will only be noticeable in the UFO stage).

So that is why I have 232 pixels horizontally (320 mode moves in two pixel increments so moving 4 pixels on either side = two extra columns)

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Hi Guys:

THANK YOU! :D

Update:

Player can now shoot and drop bombs, and kill what's on the ground. Things left:

- Launching Rockets

- 'Sprite' Enemies (i.e. UFOs, Meteors)

- Sound

- End of round (at the moment you just go on forever repeating the base level)

I need to try this on the real thing, but for tonight I'm done :)

P.S. I also changed the copyright to 'Stern' from 'Konami' as it was licensed by Stern for the U.S.

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus

As far as the difficulty ramp goes, so it's just the frequency of the rockets launching (and the scrolling somewhat quicker) that changes?

Yes... frequency of rocket launches as well as their travel speed and oh yeah... because of your ships involuntary speed up, you also go through fuel quicker, forcing you to hit the gas tanks more often.

I'd have to really sit and spend some time playing the arcade again, but I'm pretty sure by level 3, those rockets blasting up towards you are real fast. I also remember the fuel tanks becoming less available by then. Either that or your ship was just burning up that much more fuel as you hastily speed toward your demise. :lol:

Edited by save2600

As far as the difficulty ramp goes, so it's just the frequency of the rockets launching (and the scrolling somewhat quicker) that changes?

Yes... frequency of rocket launches as well as their travel speed and oh yeah... because of your ships involuntary speed up, you also go through fuel quicker, forcing you to hit the gas tanks more often.

I'd have to really sit and spend some time playing the arcade again, but I'm pretty sure by level 3, those rockets blasting up towards you are real fast. I also remember the fuel tanks becoming less available by then. Either that or your ship was just burning up that much more fuel as you hastily speed toward your demise. :lol:

I played a lot of Scramble and I really don't think the game speeds up at all. Nor do the rockets fly up faster. At least that I could ever tell.. All I know is the fuel depletes faster.

But then again who knows.. :P

Edited by NE146

Man, every time i check back on the forums Bob has whipped up yet another awesome 7800 port. These days, about 80% of my 7800 play time is spent on something Bob has written.

It's a damn shame he wasn't programming this shit back in the 80s! The 7800 might have stood a chance.

Oh, and (as usual) I WANT ONE lol.

This looks awesome! I need a copy of this when it is available. I was wondering what was coming next.

Bob's games have been my favorite homebrews, and this year he has been cranking them out.

The games are awesome! He doesn't over charge for a cart or require payments months in advance.

Homebrew developer of the year!!!