IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

Well I just tried it out (not the newer version you just put up) and yeah way too many rockets come out on that stage. Funny thing is.. it almost makes it easier since they all just blast off nice and early and you can shoot them. :lol: In the arcade game you sometimes didn't know if they were going to shoot out or not. I guess it's probably fixed though in the version you just posted. :)

Another thing I noticed is there seems to be a lack of Fuel tankers in the maze.. maybe my memory is off but I remember a few more of them before the barren section of the maze starts. I guess that'd be an easy thing to check in Mame though.

I also purposely died after killing the base, since in the arcade game you can do that without penalty and sure enough it's in there fine.

This is an awesome port man :) I would have loved to have this back in the day.. frigign awesome job.

Thanks, guys

OK, here's the deal. The Stern layout is *slightly* different than the Konami one, what I see on quick inspection are:

- On the Stern Version, there is a Fuel tank where the very first Bonus Item is on the Konami version (just after the very first mountain)

- On the Stern Version, there are 3 fuel tanks missing during stage 4 (the buildings) where they exist in the Konami version

- On the Stern Version, there are 3 fuel tanks in the final corridor just before the base (thanks NE146!) that are missing from the Konami version.

- On the Stern Version, there are bricks where it says 'KONAMI' at the top of the building in the Konami version.

For some strange reason, the layout for the Stern version is all over the place in the arcade ROM where it was linear in the Konami version. Plus there is some sort of protection I think.

I imagine the Fuel tank layout is changes in the Stern version to help with the much quicker fuel depletion.

Not sure what I am going to do just yet, I don't want to duplicate data for everything but those places, and I don't want to modify the code to stop and read from somewhere else at a certain point because I'm so close to limits as it is.

I'll figure it out. :)

Bob

Hi Guys:

This is now a 48K Game.

If you select 'Hard' (Stern) difficulty, it now chooses the Stern layout of the terrain.

Let me know if you have any issues. I'm going to bed. :)

Thanks,

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Ah yes, HSC, I forgot. So HSC_48k now I guess? ;)

And NE146 is definitely right, when I was watching the previous in-game footage, I was thinking far too many rockets were launching in stage four, and always before the ship got to them. Sometimes they don't launch until near the left side of the screen. It makes stage four easily the hardest one in the game because most of my deaths are from getting a rocket enema!

I've not played the Konami version of the game before, so I didn't know there were layout differences between the Konami and Stern versions. I'll hopefully give the new version a go sometime tomorrow...

Thanks guys :)

Just one thing - Prosystem 1.2 at least doesn't give seem to give seperate bomb/fire mode.

Could it be changed so the second button allows starting and overrides the 1 button mode?

If ProSystem 1.2 doesn't work in two button mode, it's not going to detect a separate second button :(

I wish GroovyBee would release this version of ProSystem so the HSC and two-button detection would work.

Thanks,

Bob

Ok - Mayhem / NE146 - There were still too many rockets launching on the 4th stage, so I figured it would be better to skip random rockets from being added to the 'rocket launch list' than try and deal with it at the other end. So, for stage 4, it is much better now at not launching all rockets.

Thanks for the feedback,

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

This is another one I never got to play in the arcades, back in the day. Actually, I didn't play a whole lot of coin-ops in the arcades, as I was a bit young and didn't earn much pocket money (and preferred candy and browsing comics shops...one owner had a cocktail PONG , set on free-play....oh, sorry for any sticky pages?) , but I used to watch my older brother play often as I would tag-along. My main gaming was on the 2600, the C64, later the Atari and Tandy computers (someone gave me the Ti99/4A, for free!)

Anyways, from what I can see, this looks awesome, yet again! ;) Hope you are in more agreeable times, soon, Bob. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

Had a chance to play quite a few games... it plays well, and certainly captures what Scramble is about. The collision detection is quite tight, although I don't know if that's a symptom of how it has to be programmed. A few times, especially in the fireball phase, it said I hit something when I'm sure I'd have gotten away with it in the arcade. Or it's just my failing reactions. Certainly the euro pad ain't friendly on diagonals for phase five and trying not to hit the walls...

Only spotted one potential bug so far, and it happened more than once so I figure it can't be a fluke. During phase five (maze and fuel tanks), I managed to shoot a fuel tank that wasn't the closest to my ship without shooting the one that was, and ended up crashing into said closest fuel tank because it hadn't registered as being shot. Is there a gap between the front of the ship and where the bullets spawn, so technically the bullets could have spawned "past" the fuel tank in question (I was somewhat close to them)?

Edited by Mayhem

Thanks, Mayhem

Thanks for the information. I just tried the arcade version, and did you know that anything under the nose of the ship doesn't count as a collision with the terrain? Try it with the first mountain try to get it where the ship's nose is just above the mountain's peak. The bottom of your ship will pass it unharmed.

I have replicated that here.

As far as what you described about phase five, I've never seen that happen to me in all of my testing :( But, I looked at it. I am starting the shot right at the edge of the player's ship, so there shouldn't be a gap but maybe it's possible that with the shot moving forward at the same time the terrain is moving in the opposite direction, maybe there's an occasion where it could pass (the shots move 2 pixels per frame - which is actually 4 because 320 mode moves 2 pixels at a time) so I guess if it happens to be on a frame where things are being shifted...

Anyway I tried to rectify that here as well. Let me know if it still happens.

Thanks again,

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Thanks for the information. I just tried the arcade version, and did you know that anything under the nose of the ship doesn't count as a collision with the terrain? Try it with the first mountain try to get it where the ship's nose is just above the mountain's peak. The bottom of your ship will pass it unharmed.

Interesting.. maybe that's why I kept crashing in the maze my first 2 tries through the game. :lol: I actually did think the collision detection was really strict but then chalked it up to just me using an Xbox D-pad. I readjusted and was able to get through it the third time through. That's definitely news to me though. :)

Hi Guys:

There isn't going to be a CIB version sold, as the game carts and boxes come from two different countries. :( The box itself comes from Marc (Germany). You can contact him to purchase a box.

The manual I always post so people can print them (I don't have a printer that can handle mass printing of manuals).

That being said, I think I may have a few cart cases coming my way - I also have to get some 27512 eproms (I don't have enough), so it should be soon. :)

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus