IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2012 (Season 5)

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Star Castle (solidcorp version) - 5 min.

Intellivision:

Beamrider - 17 min.

D2K Arcade - 17 min.

Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball - 25 min.

SNES:

Adventures of Kid Kleets - 35 min.

Ardy Lightfoot - 238 min.

A.S.P.: Air Strike Patrol - 8 min.

Big Sky Trooper - 5 min.

B.O.B. - 118 min.

Bust-A-Move - 29 min.

Kirby's Dream Course - 37 min.

Mega Man 7 - 5 min.

Mr. Nutz - 20 min.

Shaq-Fu - 159 min.

Sunset Riders - 41 min.

Super Bomberman - 15 min.

Super Bomberman 2 - 20 min.

Tetris Attack - 28 min.

WarpSpeed - 5 min.

3DO:

Rise of the Robots - 5 min.

Slayer - 4 min.

Total Eclipse - 164 min.

Trip'd - 31 min.

I'll be going on a trip soon that won't leave me much time for gaming (until July), so I guess I'm getting it in while I can! :) I started the week with the 3DO, trying out a few couple games, getting pretty fair in Total Eclipse, and playing a few rounds of Trip'd with my girlfriend.

Then, tons of SNES. After beating Sunset Riders for the first time in co-op mode (albeit on the easiest possible settings), I then played through Ardy Lightfoot, beating the game in one evening (I took a 2-hour break at one point). I'd played it a year ago for 15-20 minutes, and liked what I saw. It's a nice platformer, certainly not perfect but well worth an evening's playthrough.

Partly inspired by a thread on NintendoAge -- in which they're trying to beat every US-released SNES game within a calendar year -- I've kept working on B.O.B., and I'm now about two-thirds done (I think). I beat the Genesis version earlier this year, and the gameplay is extremely similar (though crisper on the SNES). At first the level layouts didn't seem familiar to me at all, but eventually things started to look familiar, and my prior experience helped me to clear some tricky levels very quickly.

I also worked on Adventures of Kid Kleets, a rather mediocre platformer that was released as Soccer Kid on other consoles. Then I went after the SNES version of Shaq Fu, which is dramatically inferior to the Genesis version in almost every way, except one: it's shorter. :D It's actually missing almost half the characters! I beat Easy on my first attempt, and was also able to 1cc Normal on my first try, but couldn't beat Hard though I was able to get to the final boss.

In between all this, I tried out a bunch of different games, including several puzzle games for competitive play with my girlfriend. She pretty much owned me at Bust-A-Move, whereas I dominated Tetris Attack, and the Super Bomberman games were roughly a draw. She also had me soundly beaten in Kirby's Dream Course until, at the very last minute, I sank a shot that gave me the win.

Finally, I played a couple games of the newly released Star Castle binary, and a few different intellivision games including HSC selection Beamrider, new release D2K Arcade, and the infamous Spiker (via Cuttle Cart 3). As is well-known, rare games are often mediocre, but Spiker actually is a decent enough game in co-op mode, though the computer absolutely flattened us.

• Like 1

I haven't played anything in the last week (June 4th through 10th). I've worked on "Hello World" Rev. 6 for the Videobrain, and then I was invited to play keyboard in an upcoming gig by Helmi's Nightmare. Problem is, it's a full concert, and it's already the coming weekend, so I had one meeting and one rehearsal with them and also spent some hours figuring out the chords for the songs we're going to play. I guess I won't have much time for playing this week either since there are three more rehearsals scheduled before the gig on Saturday.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 23, running from June 4 - 10. We logged 2192 minutes of eligible play, playing 35 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 706

2. Ardy Lightfoot (SNES) - 238

3. Total Eclipse (3DO) - 164

4. Shaq-Fu (SNES) - 159

5. Toki (Atari Lynx) - 120

5. Mega Man 4 (NES/Famicom) - 120

7. B.O.B. (SNES) - 118

8. Adventure Island 3 (NES/Famicom) - 45

9. Sunset Riders (SNES) - 41

10. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color) - 40

Pre-NES top 10:

Not enough entries to make a top 10. (No prizes for guessing what game would've taken the top spot!)

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (793)

2. Atari 2600 (711)

3. 3DO (204)

4. NES/Famicom (165)

5. Atari Lynx (120)

6. Neo Geo AES/MVS (65)

7. Intellivision (59)

8. Game Boy Color (40)

9. Sega Master System (25)

10. Atari 5200 (10)

Ray Bradbury (R.I.P.) once said:

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out."

But when your cup's being filled with bombs, what's a fellow to do? Take the #1 spot on the charts, that's what.

• Like 1

Okay, I played A8 Xenophobe for 1/2 an hour last night and, for some reason, (Half Life) Paranoia for the DC for 20 minutes.

Other games played since Sunday:

A8 Pooyan: 20 minutes

A8:Crystal Castles: 1/2 hour

Yesterday (June 13th):

CV: Burgertime, 10 minutes

CV: Pepper II, 20 minutes

CV: BC's Quest for Tires II, 10 minutes

7800: Plutos, 20 minutes

7800: Beefdrop, 20 minutes

7800: Chuck Norris MIA, 1/2 hour

7800: Ninja Golf, 1/2 hour

My times for Monday - Wednesday:

Atari 2600:

Video Chess - 48 min.

SNES:

B.O.B. - 431 min.

Sunset Riders - 19 min.

Super Bomberman 3 (J) - 12 min.

Beat B.O.B. -- thoughts here. Great game! I also beat the Atari at Video Chess on Levels 1-3, all with the White pieces (and running Stella at 10x the normal framerate to speed things up).

BTW, as a general heads-up, I'll be doing some traveling over the next couple weeks, and am not sure if I'll be able to update the tracker in a timely manner. Chances are I will, but if things are delayed, that's why!

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (June 11th through 17th)...

As I said last week, I didn't have much time for gaming this week. However, I did play one game:

Commodore 64:

Bubble Bobble - 16 min.

I actually played this game in order to record the sounds it makes and convert them into an MP3 file. Even though I didn't really need that much material, I played one game until all lives were lost. This is a pretty good arcade conversion, only the animation is on the choppy side... probably in order to have enough time for calculating the masses of bubbles and their movements which are allowed to appear on screen.

Lynx:

Toki - 2 hour. For the HSC. I'm currently sitting in 2nd place.

SMS:

The Ninja - 1.5 hours. For the HSC. I believe I won the round. Fun game for 1986.

5200:

Q*bert - 10 min. For the HSC. Just to put in a score. I hate Q*bert and seriously suck at it.

ColecoVision:

Maze Maniac - 45 min. For the HSC. Currently sitting in 1st place. It's a homebrew game.

Intellivision:

Beamrider - 20 min. For the HSC. Took me about 2 hours to get the emulator up and running to the point where I can actually play a game. :(

Arcade:

Snow Bros. - 10 hours. For the HSC. Great game, and I won the round with over a million points. Played 2-players with my little nephew today too. He approves.

NES:

Snow Bros. - 30 min. Half-decent port of the arcade game.

Mega Man 4 - 1 hour. Played with my little nephew. Made it to the end of Dr. C stage 3, continuing from a saved game from last week, but then realized that there were some secret items we missed. So we quit to play some Snow Bros. instead. Will have to go back to find the wire item and the floating dog thingy.

Genesis:

Snow Bros. - 1 hour. Arcade-perfect port of the arcade game. You should have this if you own a Genesis.

And then my controller broke. :( The most important button on it has gone flakey. I have another controller, but it's not nearly as good. Grrrr, this controller hasn't even been used that much since I bought it. My NES controllers still work from 25 years ago.

Here's the summary for Week 24, running from June 11 - 17. We logged 2967 minutes of eligible play, playing 44 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Snow Bros. (Arcade) - 600

2. B.O.B. (SNES) - 431

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 408

4. Video Chess (Atari 2600) - 393

5. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Game Boy) - 135

6. Toki (Atari Lynx) - 120

7. Ninja, The (Sega Master System) - 90

8. Dragon Warrior II (NES/Famicom) - 75

9. Snow Bros. (Genesis) - 60

9. Mega Man 4 (NES/Famicom) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 408

2. Video Chess (Atari 2600) - 393

3. Beamrider (Intellivision) - 45

3. Maze Maniac (ColecoVision) - 45

5. Chuck Norris: Missing In Action (Atari 7800) - 30

5. Crystal Castles (Atari 8-bit) - 30

5. Ninja Golf (Atari 7800) - 30

5. Xenophobe (Atari 8-bit) - 30

9. Beef Drop (Atari 7800) - 20

9. Maze Craze (Atari 2600) - 20

9. Pepper II (ColecoVision) - 20

9. Plutos (Atari 7800) - 20

9. Pooyan (Atari 8-bit) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (849)

2. Arcade (610)

3. SNES (487)

4. NES/Famicom (165)

5. Game Boy (135)

6. Atari Lynx (120)

7. Atari 7800 (100)

7. Sega Master System (100)

9. ColecoVision (85)

10. Atari 8-bit (80)

As a famous commercial once asked, "Do you have B.O.?" Well, our top three games all do, but it doesn't seem to be hurting them. (Actually the top game has "bro", which is possibly worse than B.O.)

• Like 1

I guess you've decided that all 7800 games are "pre-NES"? Does it go by system or game release date?

edit - I think I asked this before. It makes sense to go by system release date, to allow for homebrews. So I guess you're going by the original 7800 release and not the re-release?

Edited by BillyHW

I guess you've decided that all 7800 games are "pre-NES"? Does it go by system or game release date?

edit - I think I asked this before. It makes sense to go by system release date, to allow for homebrews. So I guess you're going by the original 7800 release and not the re-release?

Exactly, yep -- both I, and cvga before me, have gone by the 1984 release, which predates the 1985 US release of the NES. It's a tricky thing and somewhat of a judgment call, but fortunately the 7800 is one of very few "edge cases" that need resolving.

• Like 1

It's been another single-game week (Sorry I'm a bit late, this is for the week of June 18th through 24th):

Arcade:

Chicken Shift - 156 min.

Chicken Shift is a unique game which is played with only two buttons, red and blue. On the first screen, there are eggs being laid by chickens, sliding down slides and through pipes you have to move to the correct position. In the second screen, eggs come jumping out of their box and walking down to the "Eggzit". You have to move pads up and down in order to guide them. On the third screen, the little chicks are walking in from the lower right, and you have to shoot each one into a different nest where they become chicks. In that screen, there are red and blue flippers built into the ground which let you do that. All in all, there are three variations of the first screen and two of the others, after that the game only becomes faster and faster. I've reached the third variation of the first screen, so I've basically played every screen variation there is.

I would put this as a pre-NES game. It came out in 1984, and it's an 8-bit game, although the graphics are pretty good, and the sound resembles the SID on the C-64, but is generated a different way... by 6 analog sound chips putting out one voice each. The sound is a bit cacophonic at times.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

It's been another single-game week (Sorry I'm a bit late, this is for the week of June 18th through 24th):

Arcade:

Chicken Shift - 156 min.

Chicken Shift is a unique game which is played with only two buttons, red and blue. On the first screen, there are eggs being laid by chickens, sliding down slides and through pipes you have to move to the correct position. In the second screen, eggs come jumping out of their box and walking down to the "Eggzit". You have to move pads up and down in order to guide them. On the third screen, the little chicks are walking in from the lower right, and you have to shoot each one into a different nest where they become chicks. In that screen, there are red and blue flippers built into the ground which let you do that. All in all, there are three variations of the first screen and two of the others, after that the game only becomes faster and faster. I've reached the third variation of the first screen, so I've basically played every screen variation there is.

I would put this as a pre-NES game. It came out in 1984, and it's an 8-bit game, although the graphics are pretty good, and the sound resembles the SID on the C-64, but is generated a different way... by 6 analog sound chips putting out one voice each. The sound is a bit cacophonic at times.

Looks interesting. We should try this in the MAME HSC sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKIhfGK1Io