IGNORED

SIO2Arduino

Farb

IMHO: It would be less strenuous to just have a status file on the SD card to remember the last .ATR used. Still it would need the ability to reset to a safe image just in case of course. It would be nice to chain configuration on the Atari too. Something like the Arduino feeds an ATR that disables BASIC and on completion of the first program switches to an ATR that needs BASIC disabled.

After I had implemented the EEPROM write code, it did occur to me that I could also just write a "status" file on the SD card to do the same thing :) (will probably change to use SD card status file).

In any case my first attempt at saving the "current" ATR name in the EEPROM was only partially successful (only worked if the ATR was in the root folder, since no directory path was being saved).

I also added a "reset boot image" switch (using INPUT_PULLUP to avoid using an external resistor), which also kind of worked.

Disabling BASIC does not seem to be a problem when booting an image from SDRIVE (for me at least (600XL)).

However the majority of ATR / XEX I try do not seem to load properly (although the ones that do load, always load consistently). Not sure if I need to change bootloader address or something.

• 2 months later...

A bit more information would help.

"It does not compile" is a wide field

of possibly reasons.

Please apppend the code you used

and "copy n` paste" the error message

of your compiler. An information about

the version of your IDE would help too.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The file system access libraries (FAT) have been changes since SIo2Arduino project was developed in a way that the compatibility with old versions was broken.

There are two ways to solve the problem:

1) Downgrade the Arduino IDE

2) Rework the SIO2Arduino code

It would be great if anybody had time and knwoledge to do it (2) and could publish it here :)

Best Regards

Marcin

Edited by TheMontezuma

A bit more information would help.

"It does not compile" is a wide field

of possibly reasons.

Please apppend the code you used

and "copy n` paste" the error message

of your compiler. An information about

the version of your IDE would help too.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The file system access libraries (FAT) have been changed since Sio2Arduino project was developed in a way that the compatibility with old versions was broken.

There are two ways to solve the problem:

1) Downgrade the Arduino IDE

2) Rework the SIO2Arduino code

It would be great if anybody had time and knwoledge to do it (2) and could publish it here :)

Best Regards

Marcin

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

Dear Marcin,

good to hear from you again.

Long time ago since Classic-Computing

last year :-)

Yes, you're right. The Fat Library has changed.

Afaik, the FatUtil.h is implemented into the Fat

lib itselve now.

I had a similar problem with an MP3shield

some weeks ago, but found a newer sketch

already adapted.

Don't you think there is the "older" version

of the Lib somewhere?

I'll thinker with it.

Stefan

I just can´t get it working...

Even with an older IDE and the SDFat of Osgeld.

:?

I thought that was much easier.

But I have to admit, I dont understand the

whole sketch with all the *.h /.cpp files

It just goes from error to error, whenever

I think I figured it out...

Damn. That MP3 shield had almost the same problems. :roll:

Stefan

ok I finally got this to compile with arduino 1.0.1

what I did is removed my old sketchbook which is the arduino folder under my documents, I just zipped it up for backup and deleted it

downloaded 1.0.1 from

https://code.google.com/archive/p/arduino/downloads?page=2

and let it create its own sketchbook (arduino folder under my documents)

made a folder called libraries and stuck the SDfat library I posted earlier

started 1.0.1

Loaded the SIO2Arduino project from the file open menu so it doesnt try to open it up in 1.8 which is what I have installed and defaulted

and it compiled (I really hate that it links libraries to a sketchbook folder that has the same name for every version ever made, it was much easier to manage different versions of crap back in the old days when it was in the arduino program folder, just for situations where you have old code, old libraries, and a new setup that wont play ball with either cause "change")

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi Farb,

thanks a lot for this really nice piece of software - it helped me a lot to understand the workings of the SIO bus as well. I got your project working with the current Arduino IDE using this fork of your project:

https://github.com/battlecoder/SIO2Arduino

I'm planning to use this as one of the use cases for my little Atariduino-Shield for the upcoming ABBUC hardware contest.

Now a little bit off-topic:

In addition, I want to show the shield's use for accessing the Arduino via the SIO port and the R: device. I saw in your code that DEVICE_R1 is listed as one of the valid devices, but I haven't got any of the known R: drivers working in such a way that it actually sends a R:-related command frame to the SIO chain where I could process it at the Arduino.

During the boot process, I see the command frame without any problem, but no matter what driver I use (PRCONN.HND, RS232.SYS, ATARI850.HND or any other from Itay's ICE-T disk) no R:-related command seems to send anything to the SIO port, although PRCONN.HND allows me to use OPEN, GET and PUT in Basic on R: withouth any error.

As you mentioned a few pages before that you are toying with the idea of adding serial device support to SIO2ARDUINO, I was wondering if you have any idea which driver would be suitable for that purpose or how else R:-related data could be posted over to the Arduino?

Thanks a lot again for your great work,

F.

• 2 weeks later...

As you mentioned a few pages before that you are toying with the idea of adding serial device support to SIO2ARDUINO, I was wondering if you have any idea which driver would be suitable for that purpose or how else R:-related data could be posted over to the Arduino?

I had toyed with the idea but quickly ran into memory limitations even with drive emulation so didn't take it any further. Unfortunately, I didn't get far enough down that path to even answer the questions you are asking :-(

FYI, there is no longer any active development happening on SIO2Arduino. I've been contributing to the SDrive Max project which also runs on Arduino hardware but has additional support for enhanced density and cassette files. At this stage, we've gotten its ATX compatibility higher than SIO2Arduino and are continuing to increase it.

• Like 1

Hi Farb,

thanks for the response, I will have a look at SDrive Max which also looks great, but I really liked that SIO2Arduino works on a plain Arduino Uno.

As for my problem, I found out that I have to use the RVERTER handler and with this one, I can communicate fine between the Atari and the Arduino via my Atariduino shield. I wish I had known back then how relatively easy it is to do serial communication over the SIO port without expensive devices such as the 850.

Here's a little demo (sorry, German voice-over only) for this year's hardware contest, and it also runs SIO2Arduino with just a few code modifications, too (not shown here though):

• Like 2