IGNORED

Oh, noes! My PS3=RLOD!

SlowCoder

Yep, it's dead. :sad: Red Blinky Light O' Death. I'm pretty sure it's a heat problem, because it may run a couple minutes before cutting off. I may go the the heat gun method to reflow the solder, and try to revive it. If I can't I can at least say it's had a good life. Many 1000's of hours of game play and movie watching. It's been flawless up to this point.

It's not a BC model, but the 40MB phat chassis, which I like MUCH more than the newer slims.

What really sucks is that I just recently upgraded the hard drive to 320GB, and bought a driving wheel to practice driving in GT5. AND, it's my NetFlix machine. Until I can get a new one, I'm out.

I'm not particularly interested in paying Sony to "fix" it. Before I do that, I'll just buy another one. That way, if I do manage to fix it, I'll have 2!!! :D

Last weekend I splurged the last of my Christmas money and got a new 160GB model. Can't say I'm impressed by the console's appearance. Sure, it's smaller and "sleeker", and takes up less shelf space, but it totally lacks the original PS3 look. It looks like a toy!

I have a Zyxel x550nh router, and spent most of my 1st and 2nd evenings trying to get this PS to talk to it wirelessly. My first PS3 didn't have any problems whatsoever. I ended up having to reflash my router, and clear my config. Not sure, honestly, if I should blame the new PS3 or the router. Never had any problems with the router before this.

Anyway, I guess I'm back up and running, but just a little less happy, and a lot more poor. :(

Huh, that sucks how your PS3 died. have you tried fixing it? if its just an overheating you could put some new thermal paste and clear out the vents, I've heard that work. with overheating problems. I think the YLOD is where there is a hardware failure where you have to use the heatgun. you should try it for trying's sake, even though you already got a new one.

I like the slim ps3's look better, the original one just looks like a fat ass after looking at the slim.

Huh, that sucks how your PS3 died. have you tried fixing it? if its just an overheating you could put some new thermal paste and clear out the vents, I've heard that work. with overheating problems. I think the YLOD is where there is a hardware failure where you have to use the heatgun. you should try it for trying's sake, even though you already got a new one. I like the slim ps3's look better, the original one just looks like a fat ass after looking at the slim.

No, I haven't fixed it yet, but the heat gun route is the plan when I do. I already took it all apart, cleaned it up, and applied new paste. It'll work for a couple minutes before it peters out again.

Right now, I'm running with the slim, so it's not a high priority. It's just one of many projects I currently have on my plate ... both work and fun.