IGNORED

Good PS3 Minis

gospeedde

I've recently begun exploring this section of the psn. The following two are really enjoyable so I figured I'd give them a shout out and ask if anyone else has some mini love they'd like to share.

Where Is My Heart is a great little puzzle game. While it may be the girliest game I have ever played, it is still really fun and quite challenging at points. Essentially it takes a standard platform level and cuts it up into squares and rearranges the squares so that when you walk to the right you don't necessarily end up in the square to your right, which makes collecting all the hearts in a level fairly challenging. You control three creatures and can stack them on top of eachother on certain blocks to use the top creature's special power. The orange once can pop out of the level, spin the squares, and then pop back in to a different square. The black one can see hidden parts of the level, not just platforms only he can see or jump on, but holes in the wall they can all walk through. The brown one can double jump, and when you turn his power off the other two guys show up next to where he is. Even though there are only a few things to do, it can get really complicated (in a good way).

Zenonia is an action RPG reminiscent of the Final Fantasy III (or VI?) era (particularly in the look of the knights, I think). Classic 2D rpg goodness. You , to noone's surprise, play a boy whose father (who may not have been his real father) dies and he has to travel the land fighting monsters to save the kingdom (I may have met the "princess", not entirely sure yet). You pick up quests to get gold and experience, but there is also a good/evil element thrown in so there are ramifications for completing certain quests. There is also a crafting piece that I haven't quite figured out yet and It has some gamer humor thrown in as well. One girl says "I'm just an NPC, we can't be together" when you talk to her. It is, in general, a pretty good game and well worth the money (though it doesn't take much to be worth $7), but I have run into a few glitches. Both times were when I went to talk to someone who would have moved the story forward. Save before major decisions and you should be ok. I also think I broke it by trying to accept too many quests at once. There is a max you can have, so it won't let you take the one you're trying to add, but it honks something up to try. It kept telling me I had more to do in the area and wouldn't let me leave, even though both my active quests took place in the next area. Yay for loading to a prior save point. Still fun, but if this happens a lot (or in places where I don't want to go back to my last save) I may not finish the whole game.

I would recommend both for the ps3. I don't have a psp, so I can't recommend anything for that, but I think Zenonia would be good on the psp too. The screen might be too small for Where's My Heart, but it is hard to tell if that is true or if my brain just wants the picture to be bigger since it is so hard to figure out.

Anyone else have a mini to recommend?

Two of my favorites are Freekscape: Escape from Hell, by Brazilian developer Kidguru, and Mighty Flip Champs! DX, by WayForward. They're both very good puzzle-platformers (pretty addictive for speedrunning, too), though they don't play similarly, nor do their visual styles look any bit alike. I also have to give a shout-out for the poorly received side-scrolling shooter, Ace Armstrong vs. the Alien Scumbags!, which has good design overlooked because many players simply can't get far enough into the game to see it (it was so hard that the game received an update to make it slightly less punishing). In particular, my favorite parts are the bosses of Stages 3 and 4, as well as Stage 3 itself. From the same developer as Ace and OMG-Z, Laughing Jackal, the Fighting Fantasy gamebook conversions, Talisman of Death and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, have been a great way to [honestly] play gamebooks without having to rely solely on the luck of the dice.

onmode-ky