IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 3, ROUND 4

Austin

You're getting there, man! Just remember to hug the right-side wall on that level you died at (it makes it easier to avoid those enemies that come out at diagonals, as well as avoid the massive ships that come up from behind on the left portion of the screen). :)

#(%& You, Raiden. :mad:

I can't complain too much because I beat my old score, but I expected to at least get towards the end of the third loop. Nope.. Couldn't even get to the final level on the second loop. And I spent the last couple of hours playing (there were several failed sessions prior, like when my system just outright crashed on me during my first attempt at the second loop).

(just a quick hint, by the way: you may as well toss in the controller if you die halfway through the second loop)

post-24675-0-23940300-1327569804_thumb.jpg

PS, I was recording the gameplay footage for this one and plan on doing a commentary on it. I'll post it here when I have the full run uploaded to YouTube in the coming weeks.

#(%& You, Raiden. :mad:

I can't complain too much because I beat my old score, but I expected to at least get towards the end of the third loop. Nope.. Couldn't even get to the final level on the second loop. And I spent the last couple of hours playing (there were several failed sessions prior, like when my system just outright crashed on me during my first attempt at the second loop).

(just a quick hint, by the way: you may as well toss in the controller if you die halfway through the second loop)

post-24675-0-23940300-1327569804_thumb.jpg

PS, I was recording the gameplay footage for this one and plan on doing a commentary on it. I'll post it here when I have the full run uploaded to YouTube in the coming weeks.

lol we don't feel sorry for you Austin ;)

Has anyone tried it with the laser instead of the spread shot? I always mean to give it a run with it but always fall back to the spread.

Bosses and big enemies go down quicker, but it's more difficult overall because of all the enemies at later stages that come from the sides.

During these little marathons of yours Austin when, on average, are you dying for the first time? I've basically reset the game if I don't make it to level 6 without dying. I found that If I don't have full spread shot for those next levels it's pretty much useless to continue. I wonder though if you are able to recover from dying in like stage 4-5 and continue? I've restarted the game several times in the 700,000 - 800,000 point range because I died for the first time and just found it pointless to waste my time continuing. Is there a certain level that you try to make it to without dying? What say you?

*EDIT* and if you say "through the first loop" I am going to punch my computer ;) ......seriously

Edited by GKC

Through the first loop. ;)

In all seriousness though, on this last playthrough I recorded, I made a terrible mistake and died twice at the stage 5 boss. It wasn't too bad getting my powerups back from there (the beginning of stage 6/the first space level). I also died a couple of times on stage 7 because of my lack of power-ups. That stage is simply brutal if you are not powered properly. Never just stop altogether, unless it's at, say, stage one or two. Even if you are powerless, try to play it safe, use your bombs to survive, and work towards building your ship back up. All you need is at least two red power-ups to have a far better chance at surviving. You have to think about it this way--you might lose a couple of lives here and there, but you are likely to gain them back as long as you are not dying frequently. Simply finishing the game alone will get you a million points. You are guaranteed to get two extra lives with that bonus, so think about it that way. :)

All this talk makes me want to try and do this again, heh!

Has anyone tried it with the laser instead of the spread shot? I always mean to give it a run with it but always fall back to the spread.

Bosses and big enemies go down quicker, but it's more difficult overall because of all the enemies at later stages that come from the sides.

So... would it make some of the bosses easier if you grabbed a blue power-up to toggle to laser before the boss then grab a red power-up at the start of the next level to switch back to spread? You'd stay at full power when you change colors, right?

Edited by boog

what time do I have til to post a score? I've had a busy week and haven't had much time to play this, but I'm going to play a few credits tonight and tomorrow... should have a score I'm happy with by Sunday evening...

You have until tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

So... would it make some of the bosses easier if you grabbed a blue power-up to toggle to laser before the boss then grab a red power-up at the start of the next level to switch back to spread? You'd stay at full power when you change colors, right?

It sounds good in writing, but realistically it's safer to use the red shot. It's still powerful as it is (much more so than in the arcade), and with it maxed out you can stay far away from the boss to make dodging easier, while still hitting it. Some bosses can be pushed out of the screen entirely thanks to the scrolling, and they won't shoot when this happens. With the blue shot, you will usually have to get right in the bosses' line of fire at all times. Another thing I should mention is you don't want to be having to switch weapons again on certain stages, especially at those later ones where air-based enemies come in quickly from all sides (stage 7 in particular).

Good to play some Raiden again. This version always seemed a little sluggish to me, at least compared to Super Raiden on the PC Engine (that's the only other version I'm familiar with) but it's still a really good game. Anyway, my score is well below the awesome 3 million Austin put up (holy crap, that's a great score!)

post-24937-0-00208100-1327803590_thumb.jpg

Good to play some Raiden again. This version always seemed a little sluggish to me, at least compared to Super Raiden on the PC Engine (that's the only other version I'm familiar with) but it's still a really good game.

I broke out the Raiden Project for the PlayStation a couple of nights ago, and yes, the Jaguar version is definitely sluggish in comparison. The biggest culprit in the Jag game is that there is a bit of movement inertia that's not present in the arcade game. You can also fire quicker in the arcade version, likewise with the PC Engine versions, IIRC.

Great job, man! :)

Thanks Austin. I gave it one more run this afternoon and made it through the first loop with 8 lives still left. I died for the first time with about 3 hits left on the last boss :mad: I was so disoriented after that that it was a blood bath on the second loop. I never regained my mojo that I had. I only ended up with 2.6 mil as a score. It's safe to say that I am, at the moment, all Raiden out. You win this round Austin. :thumbsup:

Is it just me or does the difficulty in the second loop get cranked up to 11 or what? The enemies don't seem to be any harder to kill but their shots seem twice as fast. Or maybe I was seeing things?

Edited by GKC

Is it just me or does the difficulty in the second loop get cranked up to 11 or what? The enemies don't seem to be any harder to kill but their shots seem twice as fast. Or maybe I was seeing things?

You are correct, the bullets come at you faster after each successive loop. Ironically, they still come out at the same "rate" though. Basically on boss fights in particular, despite the bullets being faster, there is greater spacing between them so they are actually easier to dodge.