IGNORED

horizon ram disk question

Willsy

Hmmm... Well, my SAMS card already had 32k on it, and so does the RAM disk (i think). I bought the RAM disk from Bud Mills at the Chicago Faire. It's heavily expanded with stacks of chips piggy-backing each other. Any idea which IC is the 32k? Need a photo?

Mark

Hmmm... Well, my SAMS card already had 32k on it, and so does the RAM disk (i think). I bought the RAM disk from Bud Mills at the Chicago Faire. It's heavily expanded with stacks of chips piggy-backing each other. Any idea which IC is the 32k? Need a photo?

Mark

If you plug in the RAM disk without any other expansion do you see 32K ? Please post a photo...

Okay, an update.

With the SAMS card removed and the Horizon card inserted (duh!) my system does a very good impression of a house brick. Ascetically more pleasing than a house brick, and certainly heavier, but a brick, all the same.

If I insert the Horizon card and the SAMS together then all is well. Nothing goes bang, and there is no fire. A bit like a house brick.

It's tempting to assume therefore that the Horizon doesn't contain the 32K. However, am I jumping the gun? There are no batteries installed in the RAM disk and no ROS loaded. Not sure how to do that yet. That's the next step!

Here's a pic of the board. The board is dated 1986. As you can see, it's very heavily hacked.

Of the DIP switches, only switch #0 is in the on position. All the rest are off. What does that mean? Anyone?

Blimmin' neat board though, eh?

Mark

post-24932-0-22656800-1327271398_thumb.jpg

post-24932-0-65091100-1327271432_thumb.jpg

And while I'm at it, can anyone supply a ROS (with an appropriate installer program, which I assume is an ED/AS #5)?

I don't have any ROS disks. Bob sent me something but I couldn't get it to do anything.

Thanks

Mark

The pictured Horizon Ramdisk is the original board upgraded to 256k, the 32k ram modification is not present.

Looks like the dipswitch is set for CRU >1000 - switch 1, not the best choice. (try >1400, switch 5 or >1500, switch 6 if available).

The current Horizon ROS (CFG is the loader) is here:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/utils/ros814f.dsk

The manual for the ROS is here:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets%20and%20manuals/Hardware/Horizon%20-%20Bud%20Mills%20Services/ROS8-14%20and%20rambo%20manual.pdf

... aren't these cards a dime a dozen?

Gazoo

Mark,

I have a few of this same model that I picked up from Bud. One of the two is "Eunice #2" and probably came from Eunice Spooner's system. The one's I received were untested and in unknown state of operation, per Bud. The CRUs were all in the first position so it seems likely Bud tested them once upon a time. That little switch makes the card 'visible' when "up" and 'invisible' when "down". Looks like the great Gazoo got you hooked up with the good stuff needed to load and operate the card.

Thanks! I see my board has a sticker on it that says Eunice #3 - so there you go! I hope it works :-o - Bud certainly said that it did! I didn't notice that little switch until you mentioned it (just checked the photo I took earlier). Hmmm... Well, I have a Fred Kaal HDX system in my PEB so I could probably load the ROS directly from my PCs hard-disk... It's getting a bit late though!

Mark