IGNORED

ColecoVision HSC Winter Knockout Tournament - Round 4 *Popeye*

Popeye

Popeye.png

Put yourself in Popeye's place. You've got a daffy girlfriend who goes by the name of Olive Oyl. Right now, she's got you running in circles, chasing hearts and notes all over the place. (Well, blow me down!)

Then, there's that blubber-brain, Brutus, who's out to get you. (He's meaner than mean!) While you're dashing around, he's taking shots to knock you overboard.

And if that's not bad enough - you've got that nasty ol' biddy, the Sea Hag, pelting you with bottles. And vultures diving right for your head. (Yikes!)

Now you'd think with all this going on, you could rely on your spinach. NO CHANCE! It's there one second - gone the next. (When you do grab it, Brutus is in big trouble!)

So go ahead, put yourself in Popeye's place - if you think you can handle all the action!

Game Information

Game Name: Popeye

Released by: Parker Brothers, 1983

Original arcade game by: Nintendo, 1982

CV HSC High Score: N/A

TwinGalaxies High Score: 54,460 by Tom (Nov 2004)

Settings: Game/Skill 3

This game was suggested by: Random Selection

Contest Starts/Ends

Commences: Sunday, 22 January 2012 at 1:00AM EST

Ends: Sunday, 29 January 2012 at 1:00AM EST

Tournament Rules

Anyone can jump in and play a Knockout round game if they like (this includes players who have been Knocked out of the tournament!). This is just for fun and to show off high scores though and will NOT to be counted in the contest.

You need not win, just not finish LAST! Let the battle begin...

Final Positions

1. patbb 97,750

2. jblenkle 82,960

3. ed1475 78,640

4. skosh 73,330

5. cparsley 62,700

6. JacobZu7zu7 24,560 - ELIMINATED

Player List

JacobZu7zu7

jblenkle

patbb

skosh

ed1475

cparsley

roadrunner (eliminated Round 3)

ColecoDan (eliminated Round 2)

Ikrananka (eliminated Round 1)

Edited by Ikrananka

Wait until you get to Level 4 (a repeat of Level 1)....Brutus gets very aggressive...

With my new video mod console!

the 3rd level is very hard on skill 3.

It's true.

But I don't have any problems with the 2 first screens even on the 2nd time

I often use the passage to go from right to left and left to right.

Once Brutus is moving in your direction just go through the passage pickup the items and go back next to the passage and wait for Brutus to come your way again. Rince and repeat.

On the 3rd level I used a new "patern".

I go a round the level and pickup the letters mostly on the top floor and the bottom floor.

Usualy when I'm at the bottom brutus makes a double jump down, this is when I go on the top floor.

And I basically do the same thing again.

I almost finish the 6th screen.

Sccore: 77,040

post-25394-0-20440000-1327618786_thumb.jpg

The hardest thing about this game for me is the way to do well goes against all my instincts. My instinct is to go for as many points as I can get on each level. A better strategy is just to survive each level so you have more Popeyes to take into the later Levels of the game (when I think you get more points). If you concentrate more on staying alive than getting points, you seem to be able to get a bigger score.

Popeye - 82,690

post-9212-0-89352000-1327713668_thumb.gif

Just missed getting through Level 6...

Wow!!!!! :-o