IGNORED

Report: Microsoft Points to disappear by year's end

Metal Ghost

Good riddance! I can't tell you how many times I didn't buy something simply because of the points. I am just not willing to buy points I have no intention of spenging and the cost of what I want rarely matches an amount of points you can purchase. Just to name a few... I didn't buy Duke3D, Torchlight, and some addons for no reason other than points. If I could purchase those things for their dollar amount I would be willing to buy from XBL more often.

Recently, Microsoft

updated

its pricing structure for Microsoft Point bundles, and now sells online packs in 400 point ($5) increments, which makes the bundles more accurately match the standard pricing structure for games on Xbox Live. (Prior to this change, online bundles were only available in 500 point increments.)

What was the old point to $ ratio.

I have always disliked MS points as I always seem to have an odd number of them left that I can't spend on anything.

But you guys have raised an interesting issue that I hadn't thought of: you can find bargains on point cards that probably won't happen with a "cash only" system, meaning content is going to cost me more. Saving $10 or more on point cards and Gold membership cards is always a desired event.

I'm really curious as to how a non-point system will work.... how will you pay for items? Right now, if I want to buy XBLA points or renew my Gold membership, I log onto Amazon and buy an online code for them. I then redeem that code on XBLA. Reason I do this is because I refuse to give MS (or Sony or Nintendo) any CC information due to prior (and continuing) hacking problems.

If this rumor is true, I'm really interested into seeing how MS will handle transactions.

Mendon

I have always disliked MS points as I always seem to have an odd number of them left that I can't spend on anything.

But you guys have raised an interesting issue that I hadn't thought of: you can find bargains on point cards that probably won't happen with a "cash only" system, meaning content is going to cost me more. Saving $10 or more on point cards and Gold membership cards is always a desired event.

yeah, it's especially great when you combine discounts. Get the 4000 points for $35. Then buy a game at 50% off with the free money.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, they could do it like Nintendo does it. They require you to type the credit card info in from scratch every time you want to buy something. It's annoying, but when I buy stuff directly from the Nintendo eShop, for instance, on my 3DS, I don't feel as iffy about it as I do with services that require you to link your credit card information. Plus, now Nintendo (at least on the portables) allows you to shell out only what you need, and not in $5, $10, $20, etc., increments.

I think I've said this a dozen times before... Microsoft isn't getting my credit card number. If we can't buy point cards, there had better be $ cards or I just won't be able to buy anything.

using a CC for single purchases is different than for recurring payments. When they had the UFC match for free, they wanted some form of payment even though it was $0.00. So I put in Paypal. Then after purchase, I removed the Paypal option and it was completely gone. My friend bought MS points with his CC on his Xbox and there is no remnant of his CC on file on either the Xbox or xbox.com.

maybe they could implement the best of both worlds.

have the new pay-as-you-go dollar amount.

but have a new banking system with Microsoft points. Microsoft can give incentives that by purchasing points and having stores of points, you can maybe earn interest in the form of points. that would encourage users to bank points and would allow Microsoft earn the interest off unused money. users can still buy discounted points through the various outlets like before.

I think people would gravitate toward that kind of system and it would benefit everyone by including the fringe that want to pay exact dollar amounts.

So long as I can use something pre paid to buy what little DLC I want I don't mind this. However, Microsoft can not have my CC number. I don't like putting that thing out there at all. This is why I use PayPal as much as possible. One place has the info and can pay the other places I need with a little more secutiry.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...