IGNORED

Atari Lynx HSC Rules Of Play

roadrunner

Hello all. I'm adding this topic so I basically don't have to repeat the rules in every round of the HSC, also, this topic can be used to discuss the rules themselves, make recommendations or suggestions regarding the rules and regulations.

Rule #1: However you play the game is fine as long as you're playing the actual Lynx game and not a port or other version. This basically means the game must be played on actual Lynx hardware or emulator that supports Lynx roms.
Rule #2: Default difficulty for each game unless otherwise specified; no easy unless it is the default setting.
Rule #3: Any controller scheme is fine.
Rule #4: Save states are not allowed.
Rule #5: Screenshots win you two ranking points extra. This is the equivalent of finishing one place better than you did. 
Rule #6. Do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invincibility. etc. Also no continues unless otherwise specified. Only games started at the beginning count.

Rule #7. Please do not abuse bugs in the games!

Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work. For instance, in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid, then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending. Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "Forbidden" tactics as I become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that I was not aware of please let me know! (Note: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the contest, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional. If you have trigged the bug accidentally, I would urge you to voluntarily remove your score and post a new one.)

Rule #8: Rolling the score.

Once someone gets good enough at a particular game, it's entirely possible for them to play forever! On a number of weeks we've run into a problem that a number of people were good enough to do this. The problem then is how to decide who get's the # 1 place. I don't want to force people to play a game for 10 hours straight just so them can roll the score that one extra time to get a few extra points. I want people to enjoy the game, not get sick of it. So, in the case that multiple people are skilled enough to roll the score, then they're just tied for first place. The person with the highest score who didn't roll the score will be considered as the 2nd place and so on.

However, even though you won't get any extra points for obscenely high scores, I highly encourage you to record the game and send it to the people at Twin Galaxies. I'm sure they'd love to see it!

Rule #9. Tie Breaker: In case of a tie in the overall point standings the winner will be decided by rounds won.
Rule #10. No threatening remarks or foul language will be tolerated. Any thing i deem unacceptable will be deleted from the post. Based on previous rounds, i don't think this will ever be a problem.
Rule #11. No old scores allowed, all new scores must be posted.
Rule #12. Screenshots required for record breaking or record setting scores.

Scoring:

"Rounds" will last for one month only!

For 2024, we will be setting medal targets on a per-game basis.

• Platinum medal: 4 points
  • Gold medal: 3 points
  • Silver medal: 2 points
  • Bronze medal: 1 point

(Thanks to Shaun Musgrave of the Evercade Discord's Cadeys Challenges for the template for this system!)

If you skipped the last HSC season, you start with an X rank point bonus score. (Still doing the math on this one!)

Rule # 9. "Acting Champion" Disclaimer:

In the event the original champion or point leader is unable to fulfill his/hers duties as champion/ point leader, the person with the next

highest point total will take over as champion and/or point leader.

LOL! :)

When i was the 5200 HSC mod, near the end of the season our point leader got banned.

So the person who was in second place in the standings ended up as the champion.

That's how that rule came about. :)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Saving @roadrunner's original rule set here for reference:

Hello all. I'm adding this topic so i basically don't have to repeat the rules in every round of the HSC, also, this topic can be used to discuss the rules themselves, make recommendations or suggestions regarding the rules and regulations.

Rule # 1, However you play the game is fine as long as you're playing the actual Lynx game and not a port or other version. This basically means the game must be played on actual Lynx hardware or emulator that supports Lynx roms.

Rule # 2. Default difficulty for each game, no easy unless it is the default setting.

Rule # 3. Any controller scheme is fine.

Rule # 4. Save States are not allowed.

Rule # 5. Screenshots preferred but not required. Though i would like to see screenshots, they are not required, even myself, have a hard time getting screenshots when i'm trying to get a quick game in here or there.

Rule # 6. Do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invinciblity. etc. Also no continues. Only games started at the beginning count.

Rule # 7. Please do not abuse bugs in the games!
Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without
much work (An example of such "point scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one
small asteroid, then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while
skipping alot of the actual content. Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores,
but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "Forbidden"
tactics as i become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that i was not aware of
please let me know! (Note: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the contest, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that
they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional.
If you have trigged the bug accidentally, i would urge you to voluntarliy remove your score
and post a new one.)

Rule # 8. Rolled The Score, Once someone gets good enough at a particular game, it's entirely possible
for them to play (for all ensive purposes) forever! On a number of weeks we've run into a problem
that a number of people were good enough to do this. The problem then is how to decide who get's the # 1 place. I don't want to force people
to play a game for 10 hours straight just so them can roll
the score that one extra time to get a few extra points. I want people to enjoy the game, not get
sick of it. So, in the case that multiple people are skilled enough to roll the score, then their
just tied for first place. The person with the highest score who didn't roll the score will be
considered as the 2nd place and so on.
However, even though you won't get any extra points for obscenely high scores, i highly encourage
you to record the game and send it to the people at Twin Galaxies.
I'm sure they'd love to see it!

Rule # 9. "Acting Champion" Disclaimer:
In the event the original champion or point leader is unable to fulfill his/hers duties as champion/ point leader, the person with the next
highest point total will take over as champion and/or point leader.

Rule # 10. Tie Breaker
In case of a tie in the overall point standings the winner will be decided by rounds won.

Rule # 11. No threatening remarks or foul language will be tolerated. Any thing i deem unacceptable will be deleted from the post. Based on
previous rounds, i don't think this will ever be a problem.

Rule # 12. No old scores allowed, all new scores must be posted.

Rule # 13. Screenshots required for record breaking or record setting scores.

Thanks guys,
-roadrunner

Scoring for each round:
Accumulated points are garnered from what position a participant finalizes in on each round utliizing the same formula as the 5200
HSC uses:

Highest Score: +11 points
2nd Highest : +10 points
3rd Highest: +9 points
4th Highest: +8 points
5th Highest: +7 points
6th Highest: +6 points
7th Highest: +5 points
8th Highest: +4 points
9th Highest: +3 points
10th Highest: +2 points
11th and onwards (Participating): +1 point