IGNORED

Pascal on the 99/4A

apersson850

Wasn't something to that effect part of the demo for the PC99 utilities?

Yes, the PC99 utilities can read the directory and access the files of a Pascal disk, but it has to be in PC99 format. My problem is that I'm not able to convert the v9t9 dsk image I have to PC99 format. TI99Dir grays out that option for that specific disk... Is there another utility that converts dsk to PC99 out there? My understanding from the presentation was that the PC99 format includes a lot more detailed information about the disk being emulated than the v9t9 format.

Problem solved! It turns out that the PC99 utilities can import sectors from a v9t9 disk image and convert it to a PC99 disk. I can now access the files from PC99 without issues.

The process is buried in the documentation, so my bad...

Okay, I misunderstood, you were trying to go from one format (v9t9) to another (pc99).

Is there another utility that converts dsk to PC99 out there? My understanding from the presentation was that the PC99 format includes a lot more detailed information about the disk being emulated than the v9t9 format.

In TIImageTool I can copy files from one image format to another, but this is file-based only. I did not need to create sector copies yet, but this should be simple (if anyone is interested, of course). This could be interesting also for converting between HFE and DSK.

The PC99 format seems to encode much more information, however, the format itself is too restricted to really preserve that specific information. In particular, you can encode the sector sequence, but there is not much freedom for setting the gap contents and lengths. I recently noticed that all the PC99 images from MAME and from TIImageTool failed to be validated by PC99, because I thought I could use the real CRC instead of the pseudo CRC (F7F7). This has been fixed in the meantime.

• Like 1

Seems to me there are a couple of other apps to convert them, too. In particular, I believe TI99-PC from Paolo Bagnaresi will.

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/howto/ti99pc.html

I am playing around as time permits to do a app, either web or otherwise to do about the same thing as Paolo's application, only with a modern interface, maybe with more options. But don't hold your breath, it may be awhile, though I have started a skeleton of it.

Edited by RickyDean

I used TI99-PC extensively around 2001.
As I recall it became difficult to find PC's that were old enough to have the MODIFIED FREQUENCY MODULATION HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER(I discovered the hard way was required to achieve all disk formats)(or was it a FREQUENCY MODULATION HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER?)and yet new enough to run WINDOWS 95.

It has not anything to do with simulated disk images, but I have Pascal software which will convert p-system text files to Dis/Var 80, and vice versa. These programs run under the p-system.

The disks for the p-system have the special p-system's disk directories. They are read and written by direct sector access from the computer. The file PASCAL you can see from the normal operating system is just a dummy space marker. It occupies the entire disk, to prevent overwriting the p-system files from the normal operating system. Otherwise it wouldn't see any files on the disk.

No Idea but I almost got my hands on one for $200

I bought mine a little over a year ago for $179.95. At the time, it seemed oddly precise. Some time later, flipping through some old 99'er magazines or product catalogs or something, I realized that was the list price for it new in 1984 or so. Apropos.

• Like 1

I have 2 DS/DD drives, can I copy all the files and run everything with a 2 disk system? The executables the compiler creates can you run it without the Code card?

Thanks

Yes, as long as the programs you need are on one of the disks, you should be good.

And no, the executables cannot run without the pcode card because they are not true binaries but rather pseudo code that needs interpretation by the pcode system.

Yes, as long as the programs you need are on one of the disks, you should be good.

And no, the executables cannot run without the pcode card because they are not true binaries but rather pseudo code that needs interpretation by the pcode system.

Anyway to get the compiler to give assembly source code that I can compile with the EA?