IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

Yep - same deal with River Raid - need to be a bit more careful and take my time. Works OK now on my Harmony and in Stella...have replaced the ROM on my site and have redownloaded it and tested it on my Harmony and Stella again.....

Apologies again people...

EDIT : Just amended the Demon Attack ASM to use the relative jump instead of the absolute JMP as suggested by Nukey and it seems to work OK - the ROM is uploaded onto my site (and redownloaded and tested in Harmony and Stella!)

It will be some time before I'm good enough to spot these tricks myself Nukey!

Edited by davyK

No probs man - but believe me - if you have a programming background and you have some knowledge of assembler this isn't all that hard to do - the real hard work has been done by those creating the disassamblies in the first place...all I am doing is making a few tweaks..hope you enjoy them.

Its amazing how much better some of these games are at 60Hz - especially an action game like Demon Attack or Asteroids - the increased speed and display actually makes them feel like new games....and it's actually a bit annoying to think I paid £30 for some games back in the early-to-mid 80s for a pretty poor version of them.

Edited by davyK

• 4 months later...

Here's a PAL60 version of Space Invaders..Wow - this really makes a big difference - faster and lovely big clear graphics....

http://www.davykelly.com/SpaceInvadersPAL60.bin

I did this using DiStella to create a basic disassembly (which cleverly has a good guess at what is data and code) - then by using the Stella debugger I can identify where the colour values are in the ROM and change to the PAL equivalents. So you can expect to see some more now that I don't need quality assemblies to do this!!

• Like 2

Just finished a PAL60 version of Atlantis. This was one of my favourites back in the day. I clocked this even on game 2 when I was a teenager.

This one took a bit longer because there are lots of colours to remap - it being an Imagic game with their trademark use of colour - even for them this was a colourful one.

Same deal - looks better and plays a bit faster.

http://www.davykelly.com/atlantisPAL60.bin

Edited by davyK
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya. I was just wondering would you consider doing PAL 60 version of Kevin's hacks found here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/page__hl__%20galaxian%20%20arcade

I've asked him in that thread if he could possibly do it but I'm aware that he's already done a lot of work on some of these ROMs and asking him to do more might just piss him off!

PAL 60 versions of, for example, Galaxian Arcade would be great...

Working on Keystone Kapers at present - nearly completed that one....will look at the Galaxian Arcade hack after that...

EDIT:just looked at the ASM of Galaxian Arcade - has already been done - just need to reasssemble it with certain flag values set...

Edited by davyK

No probs - enjoy - the real work was done by Nukey Shay and Kevin on this...excellent job - didn't know about this one - I can see me putting some time in on this one as well.

Putting the final touches to Keystone Kapers is proving a bit of a bitch - some colour values seem to have double use and changing them to PAL equivalents is causing some really odd little problems - nearly there though!

Edited by davyK

hmmmm....thought I had checked that thread...

Still - it's good for me to doing these as I'm learning a little bit each time.

EDIT: Just back from looking through that thread - an awesome resource there. Its funny comparing your PAL60 version of Keystone Kapers to mine - I got the floor colours matching the 2 tones of yellow for the fake 3D look (you have yellow and gray) but you got the radar display using the 2 tones of yellow and I couldn't get that going - have yellow and gray instead on the radar display!!!

Had just the aeroplane to go (still white in my version) but yeah - some real weird effects when changing colour values due to data sharing - at one point I had the escalators moving around on the radar scope - weird.

I also had my colours for escalators and radios dark green too - but I moved to using the purple/blue colour as its closer to the actual PAL version. Think my cop is closer to the PAL version too but then I was stumped at the aeroplane....

excellent tip there about the branch - will check that out. (and the rest of the supercharger hack thread). I take it this thread is for people with a Supercharger and not a Harmony cart?

Edited by davyK

I've removed the conditions that caused the original games to fail on an unmodded Supercharger (when the program counter or a data byte trips $FFF8...which is used by the Supercharger for it's own bankswitching). Most often, it was just a matter of relocating a data table or program routine by reclaiming romspace earlier in the program...but there are a few other reasons that a game may fail. Mystique/Playaround games used a checksum routine on startup which read all 4k bytes, for example ($FFF8 included).

Some may include other alterations as well. Such as correcting a scanline count to an even or stable number (color is lost in PAL if using an odd count). Or additions of my own (like 2600/7800 console detection so the B&W console switch works properly).

The romfiles in the thread are playable on anything that can load 4k roms.

• 4 weeks later...

PAL60 version of Keystone Kapers. Nukey Shay did this previously so there's a link to that in the hacks thread....

Here's mine which is a bit different - small compromises are made in both versions re accuracy because this game uses a lot of shared data...still they are both so close as to make no real difference.

Here's my version for what it's worth http://www.davykelly...KapersPAL60.bin

As usual the PAL60 version runs faster and the image is larger and the game is all the better for it.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

As it is the only way for us PAL gamers to play at original speed & (nearby) colors, I converted some more roms to PAL60.

Stargunner only has adjusted scanlines to 262, to prevent going PAL-TVs into BW.

Someone should dedicate a webpage for all the PAL60 hacks around.

Beamrider_PAL60.bin

ChampionshipSoccer_PAL60.bin

MissileCommand_PAL60.bin

Mouse Trap_PAL60.bin

Stargunner_PAL60.bin

StarMaster_PAL60.bin

StarVoyager_PAL60.bin

StellarTrack_PAL60.bin

VideoOlympics_PongSports_PAL60.bin

• Like 1

No, no, carry on if you're enjoying it. I've downloaded every one and stuck them on my Harmony. In fact, the only reason I saw your last post was because I was checking for Beamrider updates. :)

PS: I hit the Like button on the above post.

• Like 1