IGNORED

Phear

atari2600land

This looks great. I hope this surfaces one day, would love to give this a go on my Jag.

It makes me wonder if there are many 'hidden treasures' out there; playable prototypes that someone has squirreled away in a collection, never to be seen by anyone else....

• 3 weeks later...

I've played Tetrisphere on the N64. To be honest, IMHO it wasn't all that great of a game, so I don't think the Jag really missed out on much.

Yup. But this is the Jag forum where people have convinced themselves that WMCJ is actually a good game if you give it enough time. A C game on the N64 becomes an A+ game on the Jaguar.

• Like 3

At this point it is more of a curiosity with an interesting story behind it no matter how good the game is in the end. The fact that Nintendo saw something on Jaguar at a trade show and made an offer the developers could not refuse on something they labelled Tetris is an interesting fact. The other side is the existence of a playable version on the Jaguar. Would it be a system seller? Doesn't matter. Would you like to try it out on your Jag? Hell yes.:)

It is somewhat similar to what happened to Rayman only that this just got multiplatform. I also heard that worms was proposed for Jaguar and declined until it proved a hit on other platforms but not so sure about that. In any case this title has an interesting story.

• Like 3

... A C game on the N64 becomes an A+ game on the Jaguar.

Thought that sentiment sounded familiar and yep... post #22. :lol:

Knowing it was supposed to be released for the Jag, but snagged from Atari, I bought Tetrisphere upon release thinking it was going to be great. Must have been, since Nintendo really, really wanted it for their latest/greatest system right? :ponder:

I'm not much of a puzzle game fan but I thought Tetrisphere was awesome, and I played the hell out of it. It had some of the best music on the N64 (not a huge feat, I concede), trippy visuals, and the combo building versus need to clear blocks quickly was a cool mechanic.

I'd just love to play the early Jag build to see how it handled the geometry. Snark aside, as mentioned...it must have displayed potential.

• Like 3

Yeah thank you for clarifying, I see it wasn't started on the Jag and you could be right with me confusing it with the psx but still... I will have to check some articles since I still think there was at least the info that Atari first rejected the title... But it is so long ago maybe I really confused it.

• Like 1

Worms being initially rejected by Sony for being 2D,is the more common tale..

When it comes to Jaguar rejections, if you go off UK Press claims,like those featured in Edge,ST Format etc, it's hard to know where to start :-))

So much at the time was reported by UK press as fact, that had so little grounding in reality, you had likes of Atari UK's Darryl Still writing in to set the record straight at times.

I only played Worms on Amiga and PS1 myself, only aware Jaguar version isn't as butchered as the MD version, but differs from PC version in areas.

If you do find the Jaguar story, i would love to hear it.

I'm always curious to hear which titles Atari were offered and declined and why.

Well I think I also read it in a magazine but the search on the net so far led me to this site in German that mentions the game. Here is the Google translate of the sentence but as I do not know the original source it is still open for debate:

The title "Worms" of Team17 was originally intended exclusively for the Jaguar (via the publisher Telegames), which Atari rejected for unknown reasons. So there is the game today for various platforms, at the time of Jaguar also for Sega Saturn, Commodore Amiga and Sony PlayStation.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.atarimuseum.de/jaguar.htm

Well I think I also read it in a magazine but the search on the net so far led me to this site in German that mentions the game. Here is the Google translate of the sentence but as I do not know the original source it is still open for debate:

The title "Worms" of Team17 was originally intended exclusively for the Jaguar (via the publisher Telegames), which Atari rejected for unknown reasons. So there is the game today for various platforms, at the time of Jaguar also for Sega Saturn, Commodore Amiga and Sony PlayStation.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.atarimuseum.de/jaguar.htm

I don't think I've ever heard Worms being originally targeted for the Jaguar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_(1995_video_game)#Development . It was Amiga all the way, which makes sense, considering the interface was not optimized for game controllers (despite multiple console ports).

• Like 2

Yep,reading the German magazine quote,it looks like a classic case of some crossed wires along the way.

We know how Worms came to be on the Amiga via Team 17, who were a staunch Amiga developer and how Amiga version was the original version.

It reads as if there was confusion who would handle the Jaguar version, Team 17 themselves?,rather than handing it over for Atari to farm out to someone like Imagitec Design?,but that just left the issue of who would produce and distribute the game itself, Team 17 with Ocean Software at that time, later moved to Microprose..

Reason Sega Saturn version of Project X never arrived was because coding started with Team 17 with Ocean,time it was nearly finished they were with Microprose, neither wanted to publish the title on Saturn..

I'm honestly not clued up on how Telegames aquired Jaguar Worms, so just best guessing...

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

There's actually quite a lot of good info on Team 17 and their Jaguar support, online,along with supporting Saturn and PS1.

Sony wouldn't allow then to port old Amiga titles to the Playstation..

Rollcage,whilst annouced for Jaguar was PC only and wasn't that great,gameplay wise,so canned.

It was more profitable, per unit to work on the Amiga and CD32, rather than pay the licence fees to release and manufacture discontinued Saturn and PS1..

You've also this exchange:

Team 17:Our hands are tied as regards the titles we produce on Jaguar, our Publisher on console is Ocean and we basically develop what they consider will sell well. We have canned our current Jaguar projects for the moment, because of the machine's poor user base.

Poster)However, I would like to suggest that since there is so much similarity between the Jag and Amigas, that some of the games which are not graphics intensive, could be easily ported to the JagCD at minimal cost.

Team 17:They couldn`t be easily ported as the original Amiga games were written in Assembler language, not C and therefore it would take quite some time to port them.

Poster)While we desperately want new games that take us to new places, there is always a demand for good inexpensive games. (I would love to have a Breakout or Asteroids for example) The problem is that these games would be too expensive to develop, and the prices would be the same. However, porting from the Amiga onto CD would greatly lower those development costs. You could even put two to four on one CD. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from using your expertise to develop cutting edge games on the Jag, but I know that takes time.

Team 17:I don`t think Atari would actively encourage such practices to be honest.

Poster:Considering the slow pace during late spring and summer, I would still imagine 300,000+ users before the christmas season starts. Good quality games sell to a very high percentage of Jag owners. (T2000, AvP, and Doom are all still selling strong here) I hope that I have given you plenty of things to consider. I appreciate your taking time to read this, and I look forward to playing your games.

Team 17)I am not at liberty to comment with regard Jaguar sales. It`s very different over here where the Jaguar had a slow start after a lot of early promise and some of the games didn`t really live up to their billing. The Jag faces heavy competition now from the jazzier Playstation and also the Saturn.