IGNORED

HSC & KO : Season #3 - Game #5 (KO Game #5) - Blockade Runner

HERE'S A WINNING TIP: FLY DOWN/AWAY FROM ASTEROIDS AT FULL SPEED (HOLDING POSITION), DON'T WORRY ABOUT EVERY RED SHIP, THEY DO HIT YOU, BUT THEM ROCKS WILL DO YOU IN, IF YOU CANNOT FLY INBETWEEN THEM.

GET EVERY ICE CRYSTAL YOU CAN, YOU WILL HAVE TO MOVE YOUR SHIP... IF YOU ARE TALENTED, YOU

CAN GO FULL SPEED, AND JUST THRUST THE CONTROLS UP/LEFT OR W/E DIRECTION, TO SNAG IT.

You finished it?? The game keeps going by hittng ENTER, although your next mission you'd have only 1 ship.

Huh, I guess I was fooled by the bit about restarting. Looks like I missed out on an opportunity to earn some more points! Maybe I'll break it out again and try to increase my score.

Kind of a pity that it keeps going, actually; I like it better as a "one run and then you're done" sort of game. If the game doesn't change difficulty after the first run, I'd say that one successful run counts as beating the game.

Interesting how different your winning strategy was from mine, which was much more cautious and slowgoing. The only downside to ignoring the mines is that you lose 1000 points for each detonation; if you go fast enough, I suppose the math on that could balance out.

You finished it?? The game keeps going by hittng ENTER, although your next mission you'd have only 1 ship.

Huh, I guess I was fooled by the bit about restarting. Looks like I missed out on an opportunity to earn some more points! Maybe I'll break it out again and try to increase my score.

Kind of a pity that it keeps going, actually; I like it better as a "one run and then you're done" sort of game. If the game doesn't change difficulty after the first run, I'd say that one successful run counts as beating the game.

Interesting how different your winning strategy was from mine, which was much more cautious and slowgoing. The only downside to ignoring the mines is that you lose 1000 points for each detonation; if you go fast enough, I suppose the math on that could balance out.

HAHA yeah I thought I was done too, but I hit enter after mission 1, and my score stayed at 32ks, nothing different about Mission 2 either, just my one or two remaining ships to work with. I agree with you it should be complete the game or lose like Star Strike.

Your strategy is good for a more skilled player... I tried slow, but I took too much damage, and ran out of ships... which if you don't finish, you don't get +10,000 bonus or a second mission run.

My best slow moving score is about 17ks.

Blockade Runner INTV review 4/5 rating.

http://spatula-city.org/~intvlib/inty/reviews/brunner.html

A few errors though, the reviewer says the enemy ships take 3 hits (not all ships) the red ships takes just 1 hit. The light purple enemies near the end of the mission take 3 hits, and change colors 3 times before you can blow them up.

I wonder how much better this game plays on real hardware...

The reviewer really hit on my thoughts about firing in this game...

"The 3-D perspective is nifty as well, but shooting is a matter of hit-or-miss. Sometimes missiles will seek and destroy the intended target, sometimes they drift to oblivion, and sometimes a stray asteroid will intercept the shots. Maneuvering within firing distance of enemy ships is similarly awkward."

Is there a way to aim your shots, without crashing into a bunch of asteroids ???

If you speed up you get better aim, but get pounded dead, if you slow down too much you lose the

enemy ship or cannot get in a good enough range... :?

Looks like I'm going to have to bow out of this HSC - I just can't get any emulators to work.

I've tried Nostalgia 5.0, but when I try to run the Int file, it just flashes up on the screen for a second, then vanishes. I've also tried Bliss 2.0.5 but when I try to open the file, it tells me it's unable to load exec.bin. :?

Looks like I'm going to have to bow out of this HSC - I just can't get any emulators to work.

I've tried Nostalgia 5.0, but when I try to run the Int file, it just flashes up on the screen for a second, then vanishes. I've also tried Bliss 2.0.5 but when I try to open the file, it tells me it's unable to load exec.bin. :?

I am using Bliss 2.0.0 or 2005/6 version, and it works fine, maybe u just need an older Bliss version?

Oh oh wait! Try this...

with Bliss, you probably just need working exec/grom files... load these for Bliss,

just put them into the Bliss folder. IFFFF, there is exec grom files already in there DELETE them first, they are dummy files that come with the emulation download.

Edited by cparsley

I'm not in front of my Intellivision right now, but does this game implement 16-direction control? If so, I suspect emulation users may be at a mild disadvantage, because developing the right "feel" to avoid asteroids and shoot mines is fairly tricky.

The mines, in particular, take a deft hand -- you have to kind of "float" them into the right position, and positioning them halfway between the center and the corner is better than trying to shoot them head-on. This game isn't meant to be played like Starmaster or Star Voyager.

Well, since my last score was rejected, here's a new one...

+100,220

Nice score! I might see if I can better it later today :) but either way, congratulations.

Im shocked Youtube has a grand spanking total of (wait for it)... (wait for it)... ZERO videos on "Blockade Runner"

Really!?!?!

I'm not altogether surprised -- the Interphase games are some of the most ignored/overlooked classic gaming titles I've ever seen, especially on Intellivision! Other than a couple things on Atariage (mainly from me, plus JacobZu7zu7's post above), and a couple passing references in reviews, there's basically no strategic information out there on Blockade Runner or Sewer Sam. And those are two games that definitely benefit from additional guidance.

I've actually thought for a while that we should colonize the Intellivision section of Strategywiki and work on building it up. As for video, if I had a capture card I'd put something up, but I don't. :(