IGNORED

Matthew180's F18A is available for pre-order

Yurkie

The 5v mod for the CV is just a set of 5v-only ram chips, so I imagine if one followed the directions for installing those (it involves removing some coils and cutting the non +5v lines going to the ram) I imagine it would work. Since the rams are socketed after the "upgrade" I imagine it should be easy enough to pop them out and see if the CV still runs - which I'll try when I have some free time.

Besides ameliorating slightly the cost of the F18A, the real advantage here is being able to dump the CV power supply and use just a 2A 5V power supply of much smaller size.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by towmater
  • Like 1

Well there you have it... The F18A, all ram removed, a small 2 ampere wall-wart, so the F18A is a combined five-volt mod and VGA output. Tucked underneath here is a VGA-HDMI convertor so the big lime thing is audio to the hdmi.

Very nice work! This improves upon my HDMI-out ColecoVision (where the HDMI converter is external).

Would love to see it all put together with nice case modifications. Also, from where did you draw USB trickle to power the converter, and what kind of cable hacking did you choose?

Now that it's powered by 5V, I've piggy-backed that voltage to a USB hub (off camera) that lays in the empty space in front of the controller tray recess. That 5V hub runs power (now regulated to 1/2 Amp by the hub) to the HDMI board sitting under the main board. The hub also snakes a power cable to a Flashback-to-real-Coleco controller adapter. (My originals were shot.)

So now I have 64k of RAM sitting unused, can you think of an upgrade I could do with this? Is it possible to upgrade an old Atari 400 with these?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...