IGNORED

360 is shmup heaven

Cobra Kai

Ok, I know I'm late to the party, but I had taken an extended break from the X360 in 2011, so I'm just now investing more money in the system again. Just bought Espgaluda 2 on Amazon today, and Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 last week. So, my shmup collection on 360 so far is:

• Mushihimesama Futari 1.5
  • Espgaluda 2 Black Label
  • Guwange
  • Raiden Fighters Aces
  • Raiden IV
  • Deathsmiles LE
  • R-Type Dimensions

All those games are awesome I think. I've probably only got half of the available titles that will play on a US 360 right? I was looking at Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets but that thing is already about $100 and out of print it looks like, so I don't know if I'll get that one. And Otomedius Excellent seems to get below average reviews, so I'm not sure that one is worth the money.

That HRAP stick I bought for SF4 years ago sure is paying off for me gameplay wise, I don't know if I'd be having as much fun with the standard pad. At least all these shooters have rapid fire nowadays. Thinking back to the days of Genesis and TG-16, rapid fire was rarely programmed in. Modern shooters are much more user friendly I think, but the scoring systems seem rather complex. All these cave games I have to search online to figure out the scoring system, because I never know what all the counters and sub-counters mean. Awesome, awesome games and really fun though.

Bullet Soul is amazing. Eschatos is ok, but I like Bullet Soul more.

You got all the good ones... I wished I had bought MMP/Pink Sweets... I had no idea it went out of print. If you can afford it, get it, Muchi Muchi Pork is a LOT of fun to play. DoDonPachi Resurrection, a European release, is US compatible.

If you want some amazing shmup action for cheap, check out Score Rush in the Indie Marketplace.

Also in the marketplace is a download only, Deathsmiles IIx. It is a direct Japanese port. I like it a lot more than the first Deathsmiles.

I just surpassed 1 billion on Mushi Futari 1.5 Arrange mode on Maniac. I almost got to the final boss, but I beat the score of a few friends on my playlist that does have it, that did 1CC it. :D

• Like 1

is there region locking for 360 games? how are people playing Japanese 360 titles?

Some are region locked, some aren't. A few have been localized here.

If you're really into the cave games, it's worth importing a J360 to play the locked ones. I've also read that a JTAG system can play imports, but I don't know that for sure. Either way, a lot of SHMUP goodness to be had.

I must be missing some for Xbox 1. I know of Shikigami No Shiro 1, Shiki 2, Shiki Evolution Blue, Shiki Evolution Red, and Psyvariar 2. What other bullet hells are there?

None, that's it, unless you want to count Xyanide and the various arcade compilations (Taito, Capcom, Tecmo). He's probably talking about modding the XBOX and slapping MAME on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Espgaluda II Black Label this weekend and I love it. But, these Cave games...man they are kind of overwhelming. I always have to search around the net for an explanation of the scoring system. I like to turn on my Genesis once in awhile to play some classic straightforward shmups, where I can just shoot and dodge bullets and I score what I score. With Cave shmups its like you have to multitask like a madman, it's actually kind of stressful.

I ordered Otomedius Excellent. I know it's not getting good reviews but it is getting average ratings, and it was only $15 at the time on Amazon, but I just looked again and it shot back up to $29. I got lucky I think. And, I figure I might as well have all the shmups available, they always have good resale value in the future anyway.

Been playing Espgaluda II Black Label this weekend and I love it. But, these Cave games...man they are kind of overwhelming. I always have to search around the net for an explanation of the scoring system. I like to turn on my Genesis once in awhile to play some classic straightforward shmups, where I can just shoot and dodge bullets and I score what I score. With Cave shmups its like you have to multitask like a madman, it's actually kind of stressful.

I ordered Otomedius Excellent. I know it's not getting good reviews but it is getting average ratings, and it was only $15 at the time on Amazon, but I just looked again and it shot back up to $29. I got lucky I think. And, I figure I might as well have all the shmups available, they always have good resale value in the future anyway.

IMHO, you paid $14.99 too much for the game :D

I bought the limited edition for $50 !!! So take my sarcasm with a grain of salt.

-GrizzLee

I think the only real problem with Otomedius is that most of the other shmups available on the 360 are so much better. The only one that's worse is probably Strike Witches, but like Otomedius, even that one is at least fun to play for a while. When you boil it down to it's essence, it's just a version of Gradius with some strange graphics and not quite as intense gameplay.

My copy of Under Defeat HD is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so add one more to the library. So far it's getting mixed reviews, but as long as I can shoot stuff and make it blow up I'll be happy!

• 4 weeks later...