IGNORED

New game in development "GREEN LITTLE QUAK QUAK"

matashen

(Though I'm not too keen on the name - Quak Quak sounds more like a duck quacking than a frog ribbeting.)

I've got a list of suggestions for names, cause quak sounds like a duck and Green Little Quak Quak? Really?

Now THIS is interesting.

What we have here is a perfect example of cultural differences.

The thing is that the German frog does not "ribbet", but traditionally quaks.

Proof:un9wz3v1ypti.jpg

This pic says "The Frog says quak". Very true. Now of course it may be that in other cultures a less sophisticated, more primitive kind of frog has spread. Zoologists will probably agree that such a breed of frog is a relic from prehistoric times, when frogs were still barbaric creatures swinging wooden clubs. Surely our glorious German frogs would like to study their inferior relatives in zoos.

A fine example of the German frog: hhq4uyptqnb.png

@108Sterne

I've never seen a frog like this in Germany. Are you sure that it is a german frog? :-D

But nice to hear about an new game.

I love the look of this game, Frogger is one of my favourites so I'd love to get a copy of this when it's finished. I wonder if you could add some more colour to the game by changing the palette several times up the screen. For example you would keep the green colours the frog uses the same, but maybe change the reds that the cars use, just along the scanlines where the cars are. So perhaps the second row of cars could be purple instead of red, and maybe the logs could also me different shades of brown. I'm not a Lynx programmer so I don't know how hard it is to change the pallete at different lines, but we know the hardware can do it without too much effort and it would really add a lot more colour to the game, and this type of game is just perfectly suited to this kind of palette-changing technique.

Edited by Moya Jackie

What we have here is a perfect example of cultural differences. The thing is that the German frog does not "ribbet", but traditionally quaks.

I once had a frog imported from Germany. When it arrived, the darn thing quak'ed! I thought it was defective or trans-specied, so I took it to the vet, but it checked out okay. He told me it was just speaking German, so I became determined to teach it the English "Ribbet," or at least "Ribbit" if it had a lisp. It took a lot of training, but I will only allow English in my house and will not tolerate any German jingoism. I'm happy to report that with the help of my parrot, the frog now speaks English as it should.

Edited by KevinMos3

I will only allow English in my house and will not tolerate any German jingoism

Iam confused, why you dont alow other languages in your house?? thats strange. It would be absolutly ingenius to have children who can speak more languages as i can. i only speak that bad english. it would be cool to speak french, spain, czech, hungary for example.

Yeah! Besides Finnish frogs don't Ribbet or Quak. In Finnish we say "kurnuttaa".

Perhaps we need the first customizable multi-lingual Lynx game. In the intro screen you could teach the frog to speak properly. And then you can guide your friendly frog safely home while you listen to the kurr, kurr sounds.

--

Karri

Iam confused, why you dont alow other languages in your house?? thats strange. It would be absolutly ingenius to have children who can speak more languages as i can. i only speak that bad english. it would be cool to speak french, spain, czech, hungary for example.

Nothing in my post was meant to be taken seriously. ;)

I speak 3 languages: English, Portuguese and Arabic. Besides that, the portion of my post you quoted was itself, jingoistic.

Edited by KevinMos3

Nothing in my post was meant to be taken seriously. ;)

I speak 3 languages: English, Portuguese and Arabic. Besides that, the portion of my post you quoted was itself, jingoistic.

very cool.

Can you tell me how you say in Portuguese and Arabic the frog make "quak"

Edited by matashen

What we have here is a perfect example of cultural differences. The thing is that the German frog does not "ribbet", but traditionally quaks.

I once had a frog imported from Germany. When it arrived, the darn thing quak'ed! I thought it was defective or trans-specied, so I took it to the vet, but it checked out okay. He told me it was just speaking German, so I became determined to teach it the English "Ribbet," or at least "Ribbit" if it had a lisp. It took a lot of training, but I will only allow English in my house and will not tolerate any German jingoism. I'm happy to report that with the help of my parrot, the frog now speaks English as it should.

Your post made me happy.^^

Reactions on mine were so little that I almost feared people had taken it seriously because I can´ t express myself well enough in English to make clear it was a joke.^^ So your reaction was just what I needed to show me my post was understood as intended. :P

And as matashen did not get it you were joking at first shows just how difficult humor is when you are not a very good speaker in a language.^^

This looks like a wonderful game, Matashen! Both my girlfriend and I are fans of Frogger, and from your past work, I know this game will be lots of fun and very well done. I look forward to it. And of course, call it whatever you like. :)

I also wanted to remind you that if you needed any assistance translating the manual to English, I would be happy to do it. If you recall, I helped with the manuals for Lynxman's Flashcart and the upcoming Solitaire.

Cheers,

Smeg

Maybe i do the "quak quak" in the titel multilingual

I don't intend to be impolite here, the game looks really good, but I would highly recommend doing different names based on regions. I don't want to offend, but personally, I find the proposed title very unappealing. It just doesn't sound good in the US. However, there were some interesting suggestions proposed earlier in the thread. I really liked "Frog Runner." That sounds like a game I'd want to play! :)

I read an article in Game Informer a little while back that discussed games with names that didn't go over well in various countries. A game can be a total "flop" because of the image its name portrays. The screenshots you've shown look great and your game deserves the right image for every culture.