IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 3, ROUND 6

Austin

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 3, ROUND 6: Defender 2000

Round Over.

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:

Play a game until you lose all of your lives on 2000 mode. Submit your score when complete. Submit your score as many times as you need until the round is over in order to improve your position. :thumbsup:

If you are not familiar with the Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage....son-3-schedule/. It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. :)

FINAL DEFENDER 2000 SCORES SUBMITTED:

1. Twoquickcapri - 3,162,257 (+100pts +25pts)
  2. Jagman - 2,875,746 (+90pts + 10pts)
  3. GKC - 2,207,931 (+70pts)
  4. Boog - 1,985,641 (+65pts)
  5. Abominable Toaster - 1,354,636 (+45pts)
  6. Averbluemonkey - 1,286,747 (+40pts)
  7. Austin - 879,224 (+30pts)
  8. Sonic R - 692,378 (+25pts)
  9. Darrin9999 - 208,950 (+10pts)
  10. Doctorclu - 3,502 (does losing on the first level even warrant points? :P)
  11. ---
  12. ---
  13. ---
  14. ---
  15. ---

The Current Jaguar HSC Rankings:

1. GKC - 497pts
  2. Austin - 495pts
  3. Twoquickcapri - 466pts
  4. Boog - 340pts
  5. Abominable Toaster - 270pts
  6. Averybluemonkey - 165pts
  7. Orpheuswaking - 157pts
  8. Darrin9999 - 152pts
  9. SonicR - 102pts
  10. Jagman - 100pts
  11. JagChris - 54pts
  12. Kgenthe - 45pts
  13. Punisher5.0 - 24pts
  14. Roadrunner - 24pts
  15. Doctorclu - 16pts

Edited by Austin

d2k.JPG

first time playing in years - took me a (really) bad first game, but started to get in the groove on the 2nd. Forgot how fun this game is - and how drastically important the power ups are.. you're toast in 2 seconds if you can't get a shield quick.. went a few levels getting killed over and over again super fast.. but luckily this game is generous with the 1ups! I know I can do a much better score next time.

Another try for me this morning... had to try again after I was so close to a million yesterday. 1,122,751

I really wish you could zoom the camera out so you'd have more time to react to incoming enemies. I spend more time looking at the radar than the gameplay area.

that is true.. it is zoomed in too much, which I believe was always a common complaint, and a reason why many preferred Defender Plus. .. I get hit all the time trying to go backwards avoiding enemies but end up ramming into them from behind because you can't see them.

When I got this a few months back, I recall having to play it very slow, heavily focusing on the map and inching my way across the screen (if I really had to move).

yeah in the higher levels you kinda have to do that, at least until you get x5 powerup, sheild plus the power up that does auto aim fire on enemies, then you can cruise through the levels

d2k2.JPG

just inched out my last score.. I was on track to beat out my last one by a lot, but once again got hammered on the space stages.. now I won't be able to play until next week - gotta mega work week coming up - hope to see some more entries though by then!

Yeah, I've got my system hooked up (with the cart in it), I just need to turn it on and play a few rounds. Been putting it off, this week especially as I've been playing a lot of other games. Might do it tonight or tomorrow night as I will be spending most of my weekend at an annual local pinball tournament. :)

Blah. From about level 15 and on, I don't like this game very much.

post-24675-0-75708600-1329982208_thumb.png

Thankfully Pinball Fantasies is next. I'll feel right at home with that one.

@Jagman--I feel your complaints pretty hard with Defender 2000. Screen is zoomed way too much. You really have to fight for the shield power-up as you progress in the game.

My complaints asides from that--nearly impossible to see what's going on when the playfield has been blown away (i.e., space background); some enemies blend horribly into the background. Extremely difficult to effectively dodge anything later on in the game. Big swarms of bullets, but a ship so large there's little room to avoid them. Game moves too quickly for its own good.

I'm contemplating a review of this one now, but I might have to hold off because it will likely be overly negative with a lot of cursing going on, heh. This doesn't share the balanced quality of Tempest 2000, not by a long shot. :mad:

1,354,636 Nothing to add except to reiterate what everyone else has said about this one. At a certain point you just get tired of flying backwards while only watching the radar. I could barely tell you what the graphics are like in this game because it's that very special kind of game where actually looking at the action is a bad idea. :)

post-24937-0-04698600-1329987320_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another try today: 1,724,311

I played a little bit of Classic and Plus modes too. I like Defender Classic a lot more than either of the Minter-ized versions. Too many bad design choices... Austin's complaints are only the beginning. :D Protector SE is a much better update of the arcade version than either of Minter's.

despite it's flaws, I still love D2k and think it's a lot of fun. You can get in a groove in this game kinda like T2k - and just kick ass for a few levels and rack up serious points - get to the bonus stages and rack up bunch of points and warp ahead... yeah.. it's weird.. you definitely have to play this game a different way than most.. you can't just go out and speed around blasting things - you have to play defensively to survive.

I find it difficult to even play defensively though. So much shit is coming at you from all sides. Ugh.

I love the bonus stages though. At least the only one I've gotten to (not sure if there are multiples). The track one that's clearly an updated version of the one found in Tempest 2000. It runs so much smoother here and has some other tricks up its sleeve. It definitely looks slick.