IGNORED

Which port would you like to see next for the SGM

opcode

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which port would you like to see next for the Super Game Module?

• Pengo
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Popeye

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Arcade ports are all nice and swell, but there are also MSX ports I'm personally looking forward to, like Maze of Galious, Penguin Adventure and Gradius. Those are still on your personal to-do list, along with Knightmare and Goonies, right? :)

Yes, they are coming, however I want to better space them between arcade ports. The exception would be next year with Goonies and Knightmare, since we want to grow the SGM catalog as fast as possible, but after that I plan to release a single MSX port in between arcade ports.

Sounds like a good plan. :D

So with the extra RAM and the extra sound chip in the SGM, I suppose porting those MSX games should be relatively easy, assuming going from MegaROM to MegaCart is not too difficult? :)

I want to beef up both Goonies and Knightmare sound to use all 6 sound channels, which means rearranging all music.

Going from MSX MegaROM to CV MegaCart2 should be trivial.

If the sgm is expected to be out in late summer and donkey kong is later on, what game or games will be out with the sgm? Will goonies or knightmare be any of them? Im looking forward to those 2 for sure. Im a huge Gradius fan by the way :D

We know that Rollerball will be out in March or April, and I believe J-F has some other SGM titles planned in time for the SGM release, but it is up to him to announce the names. DK will be my first SGM title, probably around November/December. Pixelboy will also have 4 additional SGM titles later this year, King's Valley and Thexder have been already announced, with 2 more being voted. So I believe there is good chance we will see 8 SGM titles this year. Goonies and Knightmare are scheduled for 2013.

About Gradius, yeah, huge fan as well. The SGM version will be based on the MSX version, but with several tweaks to make it closer to the arcade version.

Great-looking game indeed. I have a question though: Salamander obviously uses the Konami SCC chip for sounds. How well can the dual PSG setup of the SGM perform in comparison to the SCC?

Surely it isn't going to sound the same. But... there are options...

So now Pengo is a single vote ahead of DK Jr. I didn't expect DK Jr to get that many votes. I thought after DK people would want something different, though I guess Jr is different enough of its predecessor to justify the votes.

Whatever comes in first place I am good, as I love them all...

So now Pengo is a single vote ahead of DK Jr. I didn't expect DK Jr to get that many votes. I thought after DK people would want something different, though I guess Jr is different enough of its predecessor to justify the votes.

Pengo's taken a bit of a lead again (16 for Pengo vs 12 for DKJr, as I write this). The existing DKJr on ColecoVision was actually pretty good, for the time, so to see the arcade port come in second place in the poll, with twice the vote count of Dig Dug, says a lot about what people thing of the arcade version of DKJr. :)

EDIT: My bad, Dig Dug's been getting a few more votes itself, and is slowly catching up to DKJr. Yurkie may get his wish after all! ;) :D

Edited by Pixelboy

Pengo's taken a bit of a lead again (16 for Pengo vs 12 for DKJr, as I write this). The existing DKJr on ColecoVision was actually pretty good, for the time, so to see the arcade port come in second place in the poll, with twice the vote count of Dig Dug, says a lot about what people thing of the arcade version of DKJr. :)

EDIT: My bad, Dig Dug's been getting a few more votes itself, and is slowly catching up to DKJr. Yurkie may get his wish after all! ;) :D

Indeed, I find it surprising that DK Jr has got that many votes so far. Popeye had a good start, but seems to be getting behind the pack now. And Dig-Dug is quickly closing the gap between itself and DK Jr. Pretty much unpredictable so far.

The original CV release of Donkey Kong Junior is actually a very good port, like Luc mentioned, but with the very unforgiveable omission of the 4th screen and some hideous graphic representations of the caged Donkey Kong as well as Mario. At least the Prototype version, that is easily found in rom format via search, added the 4th screen BUT is still missing all the intermission screens! If you have an ADAM, at least you can play the full version with intermission and hall of fame and even play the 5 screen unreleased version.

If DK Jr. does not come out on top, it would be nice to see someone make a CIB release of the prototype seeing as there were so few of these made... and that way everyone that likes to own and play from and actual cartridge can have a chance to purchase and at least play a version on their CVs that has all 4 screens. With all the titles already planned by the current stable of Homebrewers, I know this isn't likely to happen anytime soon though.