IGNORED

Prince of persia for intv is crazyness?

vprette

Hello everyone,

I was blowing the dust off of some old projects and figured I would share a binary of my work in progress for people to try out on an emulator or LTO.  There are a few screens to explore through, and most platforming elements work pretty well.  I meant to release this a long time ago, but just got sidetracked with other things.

The controls are as follows:

holding button 0 (top left), then pressing left or right will allow the character to walk slowly

pressing left or right runs

holding button 1 (bottom left and right buttons) and then pressing left or right will jump in that direction

pressing up jumps vertically, and climb ledges above the player

while running, pressing button 1 will perform a longer jump

pressing down at a ledge will climb down

holding button 1 while performing a jump, the character will grab a ledge if available

holding button 1 while climbing down will allow the character to hold the ledge rather than dropping.

persia24.rom

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I figured it out, thanks!

This is an impressive proof of concept.

You know, the way you hide sprites seamlessly behind pillars and walls is really interesting.

Do you think something similar could be done in perspective?

Like one of those Filmation games from Ultimate.

Fantastic work! The gameplay is very good even with the Intellivision disc. I have only played it on jzintv but I will try to test it on a real hardware with a CC3.

One little remark: the character doesn't seem to advance a little bit when he is jumping in place (vertical). So, perhaps, it could be more difficult to be correctly positioned to go upstairs or downstairs sometimes?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I figured it out, thanks!

This is an impressive proof of concept.

You know, the way you hide sprites seamlessly behind pillars and walls is really interesting.

Do you think something similar could be done in perspective?

Like one of those Filmation games from Ultimate.

Thank you.  I think you could do the same with an isometric game like those, it may require two sprites for masking to help keep the edges defined though, but I would think you could apply the same type of technique.  I may have to look into that more.

5 hours ago, RayXambeR said:

Fantastic work! The gameplay is very good even with the Intellivision disc. I have only played it on jzintv but I will try to test it on a real hardware with a CC3.

One little remark: the character doesn't seem to advance a little bit when he is jumping in place (vertical). So, perhaps, it could be more difficult to be correctly positioned to go upstairs or downstairs sometimes?

Thank you!  When I get more time to invest on this, I will try to more accurately replicate some of the controls.  Pretty much all of the controls were done just from my memory of the game, so I am sure there are a lot of other differences as well in terms of jumping distance, movement speed, etc. 

On 3/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, skywaffle said:

Hello everyone,

I was blowing the dust off of some old projects and figured I would share a binary of my work in progress for people to try out

[snip]

persia24.rom 17.06 kB · 27 downloads

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing that.

I noticed that did not start with the "--rand-mem" switch under jzIntv. Why would that be?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 6:54 AM, First Spear said:

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing that.

I noticed that did not start with the "--rand-mem" switch under jzIntv. Why would that be?

My guess would be an variable which needs to be explicitly initialized, but is relying on it being 0 by the emulator.