IGNORED

ColecoVision Neo

opcode

At this point I feel more inclined to go one of the following routes:

1) Create a replacement PCB that works exactly like the original, no new features. The advantage would be a brand new board, with some components replaced by modern counterparts, better audio & video output, etc.

2) Create a new PCB with a few modest improvements, like the SGM added, faster CPU, updated VDP (V9958 or F18A) and perhaps improved sound (cause sound is never good enough). Things that we can take advantage as options, not mandatory to run the game.

The biggest problem with option 2 is to have a new board that still can fit inside the existing CV case, cause a new case as big as the CV case would costs a small fortune to manufacture.

As great as option #2 sounds, I don't think the new features would be used in a significant way. Today's bedroom coders are more likely to develop on Android devices than on the good ol' Z80 of the ColecoVision, so you'd be supporting your own extra features all by yourself, Eduardo. :)

The first goal of such a PCB project is to reach the greatest number of users possible. That means getting a lot of CV fans to buy it, so that they can replace the aging PCB in their console with a new one that will better stand the test of time. With this in mind, price becomes the most important issue, and that's why option #1 above seems like the best approach: Don't add any new features, keep the number of components (and associated costs) down, and the cheaper the final PCB, the more successful it will be. I'm thinking the best target price should be around 80$ per PCB. Anything more expensive will likely drive a lot of potential buyers away.

I mean, think not only of currently functioning CV consoles, but all the CV consoles that no longer work, and that could be given new life with a new main board! :D

However, a new PCB would only do half the job, in my sense. The other needed component to really extend the life of CV consoles would be a new controller. Stock CV controllers will tend to fail more and more, and repair is an uncertain option for the long term. But that's a discussion for another day (and another forum thread).

I'm also in for a new CV pcb. :)

The circuit board must fit into the existing ColecoVision.

But I prefer a new power supply, also a new way to connect Audio Video, and a new kind of power switch.

SGM should be integrated in the circuit board. :)

A replacement PCB that fits into existing ColecoVision cases (with or without the SGM features) would be a welcome product. I also think a Mini CV on the lines of the one that DoubleDown created (especially with a built-in power transformer and front controler ports) could be a very successful product even if the Expansion Bus could not be included in such a design. If I had been around the forums when DoubleDown posted info on his MiniCV, I know that I would have sent him a PM asking him to make me one.

Anyhow, I would much rather see you spending your development time on new games for the ColecoVision and CV with SGM that push the limits of this hardware especially considering what you were able to pull off with Pac-Man Collection and the upcoming Donkey Kong Arcade for use with the SGM.

New PCB for old CV , is a good idea i would like to have some. But what i dream of , is this kind of thing

new_megadrive.jpg

but with CV hardware. (not need extra feature, may be a built'n SGM , but no more)

It is a small console, light, with modern connector , it works on new generation TV .

I like others have a spare non-functional Colecovision, that a new PCB could bring back to life.

I agree with most of the common suggestions as follows:

1. Must fit in a current Colecovision case

2. Must be under $100 to succeed

3. Either has the SGM on board and/or preserves the front expansion port

4. Use standard power supply (use 12V 1amp common power supply (available in any country) with components internally to produce +5V/-5V lines from this

5. Must be 100% compatible with existing software

6. Some extensions would be nice, but not at the expense of any of the 1st 5 items

7. It would also be nice to have a source of replacement controllers.

Note: As long as it uses a standard 12V 1Amp input the video output over AV will be fine to be 60Hz as that will work on modern screens worldwide.

• 1 year later...

It's been done using an actual ColecoVision PCB in a couple different variations over the years by the likes of DJPubba, DoubleDown and other enthuisiasts (see pics of the MiniCV and PM CV by DoubleDown). Personally, I doubt that a new ColecoVision (CV2 or Neo) will ever come to fruition and really don't see the need as there are no shortage of CV systems and numerous people who have the skills to maintain, repair and mod them for all our modern need.

I love that Pac-Man Colecovision console! Was that a one-of-a-kind homemade console???

I love that Pac-Man Colecovision console! Was that a one-of-a-kind homemade console???

I'm pretty sure only two were made... one DoubleDown kept and the other was sold to AA member Golden Axe. Speaking of Axe, haven't seen him around in a long time after everything he's been dealing with... I hope everything is OK.

I'm pretty sure only two were made... one DoubleDown kept and the other was sold to AA member Golden Axe. Speaking of Axe, haven't seen him around in a long time after everything he's been dealing with... I hope everything is OK.

so DoubleDown made them? Is he on AA?