IGNORED

Atari 2600 Knockout Round 9: MOON PATROL

JacobZu7zu7

2600 Knockout Game 9:

+ 2600 HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE 2012

Our ninth HSC + Elimination round is Ataris MOON PATROL

200px-MoonPatrol2600.jpg

SETTING: GAME 1 / M1P (DEFAULT GAME)

DIFFICULTY: A or B / B (NO CHANGES TO RIGHT DIFFICULTY!)

LEFT DIFFICULTY: A (Turn off Moon Patrol Music Theme) / B (Turn on the music)

DEADLINE TO PLAY: This round has now begun, it will run a week or until

Sunday, March 4th 11:59PM EST (EASTERN TIME)

Play with Atari 2600 Console, or Emulation.

Any joystick or keyboard is fine!

Pics are encoraged here, however I WILL accept a no pic score.

Anyone can jump in and play for a High Score and Ranking, if they like...

Every score will be counted for the High Score Challenge also, even if you're not entered

in the Winter 2600 Knockout.

Everyone starts each game with a score of ZERO, one goal is to get above 0... or get a high score,

if you don't you will be eliminated and the lowest score earned of the active KO players, is safe!

A KING status will be awarded at the end of every round winner, as well as rankings and

points. First place gets +15 points! From there on, 1+ less...

For the K.O., you need not win, just not finish LAST! Let the battle begin...

THIS GAME IS ALSO OPEN FOR HIGH SCORE CLUB POINTS AND RANKING!

Red font indicates out of the knockout but playing for ranking and score.

Knockout players & High Score Challengers

15+ - 56,760 - Gorfy 1st

14+ - 54,980 - oyamafamily 2nd

13+ - 50,380 - Jifremok 3rd

12+ - 37,560 - JacobZu7zu7 4th

11+ - 36,180 - cparsley 5th

10+ - 35,920 - Deteacher 6th

09+ - 35,700 - Vocelli 7th

08+ - 34,760 - toymailman 8th

07+ - 26,000 - Scrabbler15 9th

06+ - 25,160 - DT Kofoed 10th

05+ - 24,300 - Fallout_002 11th

04+ - 23,320 - classicgamer_27330 12th

03+ - 21,530 - LarcenTyler 13th

02+ - 10,450 - Cortat G 14th

01+ - 7,540 - jblenkle

Rankings after 8 rounds.

Rank/Points/Player

1 (115) toymailman

2 (104) oyamafamily

2 (104) Deteacher

4 (95) Gorfy

5 (85) Vocelli

6 (78) Jifremok

7 (77) JacobZu7zu7

8 (76) Cortat G

9 (74) Scrabbler15

10 (67) cparsley

11 (64) DT Kofoed

12 (58) classicgamer_27330

13 (54) Zoyx

14 (44) Fallout_002

15 (43) LarcenTyler

16 (39) roadrunner

17 (35) bigbee99

18 (17) Stan

19 (17) Metal Jesus

20 (15) pis

21 (12) jblenkle

22 (7) Mister VCS

23 (5) HatNJ

24 (0) phaxda

Eliminated players

1st round: H.E.R.O. - phaxda

2nd round: Raft Rider - Metal Jesus

3rd round: Yars' Revenge - pis

4th round: Kool-Aid Man - HatNJ

5th round: River Raid - Stan

6th round: Rampage - bigbee99

7th round: Pole Position - roadrunner

8th round: Adventures of Tron - Zoyx

King players

1st round: H.E.R.O - oyamafamily

2nd round: Raft Rider - oyamafamily/Deteacher/toymailman/Cortat G/DT Kofoed/Scrabbler15

3rd round: Yars' Revenge - Zoyx/oyamafamily/Gorfy/Cortat G/toymailman/DT Kofoed

4th round: Kool-Aid Man - toymailman

5th round: River Raid - Jifremok

6th round: Rampage - Jifremok/Cortat G/Gorfy/oyamafamily/DT Kofoed/Deteacher

7th round: Pole Position - Deteacher/Gorfy/toymailman

8th round: Adventures of Tron - cparsley

Someone will be eliminated from K.O. every Monday at 12:00AM EST)

(Anyone without a score by the deadline, will be eliminated!)

LarcenTyler has been chosen out of the hat to select Round 10.

He picked B-5 which is wild card choice, leading us to Kung Fu Master

DT Kofoed's game. "B-5" is X checked off the game list"

A - X/2/3/4/X

B - 1/2/3/X/X

C - 1/2/X/4/X

D - 1/2/3/X/5

E - X/X/3/X/5

Game List: Games played on Default, unless a setting is selected by K.O. player.

Frogger (Diff. A)

H.E.R.O

Buck Rogers

Crazy Climber

Pressure Cooker

Moon Patrol

Rampage

Escape from the Mindmaster

Kaboom!

Enduro

Laser Gates

Seaquest

Astroblast

Reactor

Raft Rider

Kung-Fu Master

Adventures of Tron

Ms. Pacman

Kool-Aid Man

Pole Position

Yars Revenge (6B)

River Raid

Wild Card A

Wild Card B

Wild Card C

Moon Patrol (1983) (Atari).a26

Moon Patrol (1983) (Atari) (PAL) !.a26

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I've got a question about the difficulty settings as I never was a big 2600 player back in the day. I know the 2600 had an A/B switch and the instructions above for this game state the settings should be set to B/B...

Can someone explain what exactly the B/B is? I've been using Cyberstella to play and can't find any real clear cut mention of A or B switches. I did press F1, however, and the game scrolled through 1p & 2p E M H which I take to be Easy, Medium and Hard.

According to the Stella docs, F1 is Game Select....F5 apparently sets "Left Player Difficulty B" - F7 sets Right Player to B...do I want to set both of those to B? When I press those, there is absolutely no indication anything has changed.

Or can someone recommend a better 2600 emulator?

Edited by jblenkle

I've got a question about the difficulty settings as I never was a big 2600 player back in the day. I know the 2600 had an A/B switch and the instructions above for this game state the settings should be set to B/B...

Can someone explain what exactly the B/B is? I've been using Cyberstella to play and can't find any real clear cut mention of A or B switches. I did press F1, however, and the game scrolled through 1p & 2p E M H which I take to be Easy, Medium and Hard.

According to the Stella docs, F1 is Game Select....F5 apparently sets "Left Player Difficulty B" - F7 sets Right Player to B...do I want to set both of those to B? When I press those, there is absolutely no indication anything has changed.

The Stella I use is here:

"http://stella.source...t/downloads.php"

It gives clear indication on the screen when the A/B is changed using the function keys.

Ok... this is the part where I predict what the low score will be. But first, those Tron scores were outstanding! 90K WOW! That game I consider a hidden gem.

I was slightly off in my low score prediction (52K) and I thought I might have predicted high. If you take out the zero score, only 4 players scored lower than my predicted low score.

51,600 - Fallout_002 11th

41,900 - Jifremok 12th

37,800 - DT Kofoed 13th

33,200 - Cortat G 14th

0- Zoyx

But those 4 scores were much lower than I thought they would be. Needless to say, we are getting down to some good players.

The next game...

Moon Patrol. It will be very much like Tron. Where as if you put in the time and memorize the patterns, it is a great game but takes training.

I always marveled at the arcade at people who played this game well. It took very fast reflexes and time to master.

So, once again, one day of playing will not give you a good score.

As a kid I made it thru the whole first level 3-4 times but getting thru level 2 was very hard.

So I believe the low score will be 26K. That means you make it to the last section in Level 1 but fail to make it to level 2.

Some people will do very well while others will get frustrated on Level one and we might even see a very low final score (15K). But if you give the game some time it is a good challenging one.

My first submission.

Vocelli:

post-28484-0-13131400-1330350442_thumb.jpg

Stella is currently at version 3.5.5, soon to be 3.6, and probably 4.0 before the year is out. You're using version 1.2 or so, which is absolutely ancient. Download the latest version as mentioned above. Also, someone recently pointed out there's an error in the documentation. The F5/F6 keys set A/B difficulty, not B/A as the documentation states. This will be updated for the next release.

Yeah, thanks...I updated to the latest version. I have so many frickin' emulators installed on my computer...56 at last count... I miss updating some of them on occasion...

Stella is currently at version 3.5.5, soon to be 3.6, and probably 4.0 before the year is out. You're using version 1.2 or so, which is absolutely ancient. Download the latest version as mentioned above. Also, someone recently pointed out there's an error in the documentation. The F5/F6 keys set A/B difficulty, not B/A as the documentation states. This will be updated for the next release.

Still not clear on:

SETTING: GAME 1 (DEFAULT GAME)

DIFFICULTY: B/B (NO CHANGES)

Why the B/B?

B/B is the default for almost all ROMs in Stella. Normally, you never have to touch the difficulty keys at all. The only time that Stella defaults to A is for certain (esoteric) ROMs that only work in that mode. But in that case as well, you don't normally have to worry about it. Just start the ROM and play as-is.

Stella contains an internal database of over 3000 ROM properties. So I would say 99.999% of the time, you never have to change anything.

OK, I appreciate your help...I am educated now!!!

Still not clear on:

SETTING: GAME 1 (DEFAULT GAME)

DIFFICULTY: B/B (NO CHANGES)

Why the B/B?

B/B is the default for almost all ROMs in Stella. Normally, you never have to touch the difficulty keys at all. The only time that Stella defaults to A is for certain (esoteric) ROMs that only work in that mode. But in that case as well, you don't normally have to worry about it. Just start the ROM and play as-is.

Stella contains an internal database of over 3000 ROM properties. So I would say 99.999% of the time, you never have to change anything.

Read 2600 Moon Patrol Manual.

According to this Manual, both Difficulty Switches have diffferent effects to this game.

LEFT DIFFICULTY: A (Turn off Moon Patrol Music Theme) / B (Turn on the music).

RIGHT DIFFICULTY: A (2 buggy speeds - slow and fast) / B (3 buggy speeds - slow, medium and fast).

Default game mode is MEDIUM / ONE PLAYER (displayed as "M 1P" - NO TEDDY BEAR near the score!)

We played Moon Patrol at the beginning of Season 7!

Edited by oyamafamily

Unofficial Leaderboard (as of this post)

1. Gorfy - 21,790
  2. Scrabbler15 - 16,180
  3. Vocelli - 15,220
  4. cparsley - 10,150
  5. LarcenTyler - 7,100

Currently Non Posted scores

1. Oyamafamily
  2. Deteacher
  3. toymailman
  4. JacobZu7
  5. classicgamer_27330
  6. Fallout_002
  7. Jifremok
  8. DT Kofoed
  9. Cortat G

Spellings taken from Jacob's Tron final score posting...

The A/B music debate is interesting. I always play games with the music off when it is an option (especially Gamecube and Wii skateboarding/snowboarding games), I want to hear every grind and scrape and whoosh. And I don't want the music to distract me from the task at hand. On the other hand, my son always wants the music on when he plays. I guess whatever works.

It makes no difference to me whether Moon Patrol for this Knockout Round is allowed to be played with the music on. I'll still have it off, because that's how I normally play.

post-26187-0-05400900-1330401644_thumb.png