IGNORED

Harmony cart just arrived, won't fit in my six-switch

atarilovesyou

Finally got some time to fire it up and...it won't even fit in the slot :( (that's what she said).

Seriously though, it won't fit. The only way is to bypass the mechanism with two small screwdrivers, slide it back and pop it in. Definitely not something I'll want to do each time. My VCS is the older six switch but works with my other games, I think this shell must not have been QC'ed before shipment.

Can somebody please PM me about shipping me a replacement please?...thanks.

I'm the right person to contact about this. Some shells lead to tighter fits (this is due to differences in shells - particularly the screw mast, which is not relevant on most boards but is somewhat relevant in Harmony). On a Jr or 4-switch this rarely presents a problem because of the geometry of the cart slot (you can just wiggle the cart gently to get it in). However, on a 6-switch, the deep cart slot may lead to a tight fit and you can't wiggle it.

To get it to fit in a 6-switch, you may need to apply gentle pressure to the USB plug with your finger so you can move the board a bit toward the label side of the cart. Do this while inserting and if you do it right, it go in easily.

I'm the right person to contact about this. Some shells lead to tighter fits (this is due to differences in shells - particularly the screw mast, which is not relevant on most boards but is somewhat relevant in Harmony). On a Jr or 4-switch this rarely presents a problem because of the geometry of the cart slot (you can just wiggle the cart gently to get it in). However, on a 6-switch, the deep cart slot may lead to a tight fit and you can't wiggle it.

To get it to fit in a 6-switch, you may need to apply gentle pressure to the USB plug with your finger so you can move the board a bit toward the label side of the cart. Do this while inserting and if you do it right, it go in easily.

I gotta say, if that's the only way to get it to work, I'll be returning it.

It sure is a great piece of gear, though. If I intended to keep it in all the time maybe it wouldn't be an issue. What I might do is just send them a shell on a cart that I know fits in my VCS. The fit is not the issue, though...it's the plastic tabs. For some reason they won't allow the cart in.

I gotta say, if that's the only way to get it to work, I'll be returning it.

It sure is a great piece of gear, though. If I intended to keep it in all the time maybe it wouldn't be an issue. What I might do is just send them a shell on a cart that I know fits in my VCS. The fit is not the issue, though...it's the plastic tabs. For some reason they won't allow the cart in.

A shell that seems to fit now doesn't necessarily mean the Harmony will fit right in that shell.

The issue is that the Harmony board doesn't fit the same in all shells. The one you have may work for the board in it but not as well for Harmony. In some, the Harmony board fits a bit askew becuase it's larger than the regular PCB it replaced.

As said, most fit fine and even when they are a little off, the cart may be wobbled a bit to get it in, but not with the heavy sixer.

If you want to send it back, I will find one with a better fit in the next batch and send you one of those.

Edited by batari
  • Like 1

Can you please send me a PM regarding how to return the cart? I wish I knew that there were possible issues of having the cart fit in my six switch...perhaps something in a sticky?

But if there's a chance it's going to have the same issue, I'd rather just remove the dust cover. Do you guys have a six switch to do a quick test?...I didn't realize this was much of an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement is on its way, so perhaps in the future people can specify which type of 2600 they have so they can make sure they get a shell that fits. I thought for a while about just leaving it in all the time (and you could, why bother using real carts? It's THAT good!) but in the end I'd like it to fit properly.

It's definitely a must-own product for any serious 2600 fan, no doubt!