IGNORED

Questions about latest Genesis purchase

SlowCoder

I received a call from my guy at Goodwill today. He had a Genesis 1 with a bunch of games. $30. I figured this would be a "keep the seller interested" purchase, where I might pay a bit more than it's worth, but keep his interest in contacting me with future stuff. Generally speaking I get great deals from him, and don't want to lose the relationship.

I got there today, and the contents of the package were:

Genesis 1 HD (high def graphics)

2 standard three button controllers

A Sega 6 button arcade controller like this one.

19 CIB games, mostly commons, but also mostly ones I don't have.

A Game Genie

For $30 I think I did a pretty good job, especially considering it is all in almost new condition. I have questions about some of it, though ...

1. What do you guys think of the Sega arcade controller?

2. The Game Genie has a gold label. What's the difference between this one and the black label one?

3. One of the games is "Michael Jackson's Moonwalker". On eBay it seems to sell for about $30. Is it considered a rare game? Anyone play and like it? What's so special?

I personally don't think that the Genesis and 2 controllers alone if everything is in good condition is a bad deal, add in the extras and I think you got a hell of a deal, then to really make things sweet you got a rare cart. Sounds like you made out like a bandit to me.

Yeah, Moonwalker CIB alone is worth more than $30 if it's in good shape, well done!

It's not super rare, it sold a fair number of copies I believe. But it's sought after, partially because it's a GREAT and hilarious game, and partially for the Micheal Jackson / true 80/90's memorabilia factor.

As to the Sega 6-button arcade stick, I remember not liking it much. Can't say for sure why; I believe the 3-button arcade stick is well regarded.

I use and LOVE to pieces a Sega 6-button arcade Pad. I think it's the best controller I've ever played with for any system, frankly. If you haven't gotten one (and make sure it's a Sega brand one), make sure to track one down. I believe there are sellers on Amazon who have Sega brand ones brand new for $12 or so last I checked.

Good deal. :thumbsup: Moonwalker is actually a fun Streets of Rage clone and covers your lot value-wise. The gold labeled Game genie's are the earlier ones. No real difference that I know of.

??? are you thinking of the arcade version of Moonwalker? the Genesis version is a platformer where you have to save children from closets(thank you Micheal!!) and isn't very much like Streets of Rage.

Awesome deal. As long as that arcade stick's in good condition (springy stick & non-mushy buttons), that's a great controller. I have a couple of the 3-button type and would like to find a 6-button, but all the ones in town are beat to hell.

Game Genie, no difference between the labels as far as I know. Black label's just a later edition. And even if you don't use it to cheat, it makes a decent megadrive cart adapter.

Definitely a great deal!

Lots of comments on the joystick, too. Personally I picked up one of the official Sega 6-Button ones a few months back as well. I didn't really care for it. It's got a mushy stick (i.e., unlike a real microswitch-driven arcade stick), and the buttons are kind of small. Because there are six, your hand ends up hanging off the edge as you use the A, B and C buttons, and it's not all that comfortable. Maybe I'm just too used to modern Hori sticks, but that's just me. The three button Sega stick looks to have slightly larger buttons and more room for your trigger hand to rest on the unit instead of hanging off.

Definitely a great deal!

Lots of comments on the joystick, too. Personally I picked up one of the official Sega 6-Button ones a few months back as well. I didn't really care for it. It's got a mushy stick (i.e., unlike a real microswitch-driven arcade stick), and the buttons are kind of small. Because there are six, your hand ends up hanging off the edge as you use the A, B and C buttons, and it's not all that comfortable. Maybe I'm just too used to modern Hori sticks, but that's just me. The three button Sega stick looks to have slightly larger buttons and more room for your trigger hand to rest on the unit instead of hanging off.

I'm thinking all of the Sega 6-button Arcade Sticks had the holy hell beaten out of them by dudes playing Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition. :)

And they were a bit mushy for my taste from the outset. 6-button pad, I tell you. Single-handedly had me defending the Genesis over the Snes during their hotly contested years.

Interesting, the comments about the arcade controller. I used it for a while testing the games I received with the system. The controller appears to be in almost new condition after cleaning the dust off it, and I found it very easy and efficient to use. The joystick was responsive and mushy-stiff, and readily centered.

I'm thinking all of the Sega 6-button Arcade Sticks had the holy hell beaten out of them by dudes playing Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition. :)And they were a bit mushy for my taste from the outset. 6-button pad, I tell you. Single-handedly had me defending the Genesis over the Snes during their hotly contested years.

Yeah, these days I just can't use a mushy joystick (unless it's something like a 2600 stick, but that doesn't really count IMO).

And I agree, the Genesis six-button is excellent. One of the best ever made! Love the SNES pad too, but not so much for the fighting games (not that I really play a whole lot these days, but still).