IGNORED

Very early WIP of something I've been working on for ages...

eshu

I'm just going to post this up - I don't get to work on it often at all - I'm hoping to have it finished for 2017 for the 40th aniversary of the 2600 but even that is looking unlikely......It's not much beyond the display kernel at the moment, you can make selections on the menus but that's about it......

You'll have to select EFSC in Type under Cartridge to get it running in Stella.

post-19935-0-87335700-1331515392_thumb.png

long005.bin

• Like 10

I'm just going to post this up - I don't get to work on it often at all - I'm hoping to have it finished for 2017 for the 40th aniversary of the 2600 but even that is looking unlikely......It's not much beyond the display kernel at the moment, you can make selections on the menus but that's about it......

For some reason, your ROM is coming out at 65534 bytes, which is two bytes shy of a full 64K (65536). I suggest looking at the compiler options used and see if you can generate a full 64K. That way, there's a good chance the autodetection in Stella will set this as EFSC for you automatically.

I see more than one color per line on the playfield and sprites. Is this just super custom kernel mangling of balls, bullets and sprite0/sprite1 or does the EFSC standard somehow enable bitmap graphics?

I guess it's a "super custom kernel mangling of balls, bullets and sprite0/sprite1" :) - try alt-z,x,c,v,b,n in stella to see roughly how it's working....

For some reason, your ROM is coming out at 65534 bytes, which is two bytes shy of a full 64K (65536). I suggest looking at the compiler options used and see if you can generate a full 64K. That way, there's a good chance the autodetection in Stella will set this as EFSC for you automatically.

ahhh cool - i'll take a look when i get a chance - i'm just using the standard -f3 on dasm

ahhh cool - i'll take a look when i get a chance - i'm just using the standard -f3 on dasm

Alas, Stella still won't see it has EFSC. It correctly detects the 'SC' part, but not that it's 'EF'. How are you switching banks (what specific opcode sequence are you using)??

A few different I think:

LDA $1FEE

NOP $1FEE

LDA $1FEE,Y

They could all be NOPS - but I started off using LDA and then needed to preserve all registers at one point so it uses an illegal NOP

BTW: I'm really looking forward to Stella with blaarg filters, so don't want you to look at this 'til that's released :) but I mentioned to you a while ago about a bug in debugger mode when codes running out of zero page - you can see that here, the sprite drawing and bottom menu bar code both run out of zero page and theres a weird bug where the debugger doesn't seem to see the high byte of addresses being accessed by LDA $ABS,Y.

Edited by eshu

I won't have Blargg filtering finished for 3.6, since I have to release 3.6 in the next few weeks (as it contains support for 2600-daptor II which is due to be released soon). I would say it's over 50% done, but I'd rather wait until it's fully working and tested before releasing it. So it will be pushed to the first week or two in April.

As for the debugger issue, I actually do remember that report, but will have to push that for 3.7 as well. Currently I only have about 10 hours/week to work on Stella.

EDIT: OK, I tweaked the autodetection to see it as EFSC if you fix the 64K issue.

• 1 month later...