IGNORED

Vectrex Kiosk Stand

omeganu

Why not design something out of wood to at least cover the console, so it doesn't look like it's sitting on a dresser.

Don't take me the wrong way, as I am not dogging you or your effort, rather just stating my opinion on what I would send money with you on.

I hear you....and that is what I said "Phase III" would be. This is really just a project for me and if it happens to turn out nicely, I will entertain the notion of selling them (providing the process isn't a pain or the cost of materials and time too prohibitive). I love getting input from you guys...especially if it steers me in a direction that churns out a better product in the end!

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks....the kiosk table is done. After going back and forth on what to do with the surface of the kiosk, I settled with a design that brings in a bit of the vector graphic look of the games. Check out www.vectrexoverlays.com and click on the Kiosk page for full details and photos.

Before you get sticker shock, remember that the materials constitute half the price and the other half is my time to create it.....plus, I really just did this for myself to see if it would turn out worth a damn. I gotta say tho, I'm happy I did it because it looks awesome (perhaps some artistic pride showing through there)! :-)

Feedback is appreciated....but remember to play nice!

I don't know if the design is your creation or if you based it on a Vectrex kiosk from back in the day, but your version is petty damn close to what existed back then.

http://www.atariage....0#entry2371456

Yessir....the original store kiosk was my motivation for making this. I originally thought I could make a recreation of it, but soon realized that the vacuum formed plastic top would be the dealbreaker on a reproduction.....so I switched gears and made a kiosk that was clearly new, but heavily influenced by the designs of the original.

Went to the link on the page it said

''404 Not Found".

Really? Who's link....My Vectrex kiosk page or the link referenced by 'ghsqb'? I just tested my link and it appeared to work OK...let me know if you have further issues for sure!

I'm starting a project to create a Vectrex kiosk display and would love any feedback you might have.

I just completed the "first phase" of the project and will post my progress at http://www.skywaytwi...trex/Kiosk.html

• Phase II will include affixing a plexiglass door to the front of the kiosk with shelves to display game boxes.
  • Phase III will determine if I will fashion a top to the display to mimic the vacuum molded plastic of the original
  • Phase IV will be the construction of the curved "backdrop" behind the Vectrex Console
  • Phase V will analyze my costs for all of this and see if anybody might want one of their own! (cost suggestions appreciated)

Ah yes...my original link is dead...after I registered the domain VectrexOverlays.com....sorry for the confusion. Just visit the www.vectrexoverlays.com link I posted recently to see the new pics.

• 1 month later...

Well I debuted the finished kiosk at the Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas! All three of the ones I brought were sold before the weekend was up. I kept my original model at home and have materials to make six more (a total of 10)...and then I'm hanging up my hat on this adventure.

I updated my www.vectrexoverlays.com site with new items for sale after the expo. It was a good time. Were any of you there?

• Like 2

Well I debuted the finished kiosk at the Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas! All three of the ones I brought were sold before the weekend was up. I kept my original model at home and have materials to make six more (a total of 10)...and then I'm hanging up my hat on this adventure.

I updated my www.vectrexoverlays.com site with new items for sale after the expo. It was a good time. Were any of you there?

I'm going to regret asking this cuz I really shouldn't buy one of those kiosks (but I can't help it) what are the dimensions? There's a little amount of space in my man cave for something like that and my Vectrex would look way cooler on that than the basic shelf it is on right now.

The price tag doesn't scare me (much) just whether or not it would fit.

Oh and omeganu, do you ship to Canada? I'm sure it would be horrendously expensive but give me the bad news anyway, I can take it. Not sure if my wallet can take it, but I can take it.

LOL it's all good...I'm in Minneapolis anyway...I'm pretty sure I'm farther north than Toronto is...so it's basically Canada here, eh? ;-)

The kiosk display, when assembled, is 16" deep, 31" long and 37" tall. I'm not sure what shipping to Canada would be because I have yet to ship one of these as the three I've sold were transported in my car, cross country, to Las Vegas. The base materials cost me about $30 to ship UPS freight from wherever the source location is here in the U.S. The modifications I make to create the Vectrex Kiosk don't add a significant amount of weight or new materials such that I couldn't re-use the original packaging. Once I complete an order, I'll mark the exact weight and dimensions of the final shipped product and will be able to post an international shipping quote for you.

Wow.. Congratulations on this man. This looks wonderful.

Thanks! It was a fun project that I never intended to make more than one of....it wasn't until I signed up to showcase my reproduction overlays at the Classic Gaming Expo that I was "strongly encouraged" to make several more and sell them at the event. It certainly is a fun way to display your console, but I determined that I'd never make more than 10 as it's just too labor intensive and despite the cost I'm charging, I'm not making much money off of each sale. It's that balance between covering my costs, making some money and getting to a price that people may consider actually paying.

One other minor question about the kiosk.

The pictures show what looks like an embedded row of buttons and a joystick along the front rim. Is that actually a controller? If so, how does it connect to the Vectrex? Is there like an extension cable reaching round from the back of the cabinet and I plug it in the front?

Or are these buttons merely for show and they don't actually do anything?

Or are those pics of a prototype kiosk and the ones you're making now not have that controller-thingy on the front?

I'm going to regret asking this cuz I really shouldn't buy one of those kiosks (but I can't help it) what are the dimensions? There's a little amount of space in my man cave for something like that and my Vectrex would look way cooler on that than the basic shelf it is on right now.

The price tag doesn't scare me (much) just whether or not it would fit.

Oh and omeganu, do you ship to Canada? I'm sure it would be horrendously expensive but give me the bad news anyway, I can take it. Not sure if my wallet can take it, but I can take it.

Hmmm, I wonder what it would cost to ship two to Vancouver? :) maybe combined shipping would be cheaper? I too believe I have enough room for one I these....

Hmmm, I wonder what it would cost to ship two to Vancouver? :) maybe combined shipping would be cheaper? I too believe I have enough room for one I these....

Hey cmart, I forgot you're a fellow Vancouverite! Yeah if we combine forces (in other words shipping) maybe omeganu can reduce the cost.

Yah, that's what I was thinking. :-D

Hey cmart, I forgot you're a fellow Vancouverite! Yeah if we combine forces (in other words shipping) maybe omeganu can reduce the cost.

Yah, that's what I was thinking. :-D

I just got my first eBay order (down to 5 kiosks remaining). Once I complete it, I'll have a better way to gauge how two packages might be able to be shipped together or not if you're serious. I'll keep you posted!