IGNORED

trying to decide what to start coding games for..

phatpaid

Also share your fav systems to code on or some of your fav coding moments and what systems. I love reading that kinds of stuff.

I so far have looked briefly into the Apple II series but thats it. I will be doing more research tonight since I have a free evening.

I read a post on a site a few nights ago <cant remember it> and a guy talked about his fond memories of coding late into the night with a trs-80. it was a good story but im sure you all have plenty of those.

not sure what else I should mention here.

Just have a play with various machines, throw some routines together and eventually something starts looking like it might become a game on one of 'em. Then just go with it.

My 8/16-bit machine of choice at the moment is the Amiga, but sooner or later I at least want to do something on all of them...

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Well back in the day it was the Atari 800 XL. This was the first machine I got some stuff accepted to PD libraries for. Back then you had to submit stuff by post and they decided what to include in their catalogues. I think I got a Jet-Pack rip-off and a Tempest-ish rip-off accepted first. Although there probably long-lost now!

The first machine I programmed was the VIC-20, and I’m really thinking of trying to be something on this again. Isn’t there a C cross-compiler for it or something?

My console of choice is the Vectrex, possibly one of the most straightforward machines to program in assembly.

I do keep meaning to have a go at hacking around with the Deamcast though. Although I don’t generally touch hardware (for programming) that’s that new!

I love programming on the Amiga. It's a computer and a games console in one. It has the most advanced Operating System of its time, so using a 20 year old Amiga can feel as comfortable as using a modern PC or Mac if it's set up right. Being able to run multiple programs at the same time with no slowdown really helps with games development, you can instantly switch between your coding environment, a paint program and a music tracker, compile and test your programs and get back to work without needing to reboot or restart everything (unless you code something really unstable). The kind of games that the hardware can handle is on par with the Genesis or SNES in many cases, and it can run PC/Mac-style games too.

And once you have a game made, you can distribute it digitally, on floppy disk, or on a CD which can work on the CDTV and CD32 consoles too.

• 6 months later...

Check out the TI-99/4A programming forum here on Atariage.... Take a walk on the dark side. :)

A new compiler compiles Extended BASIC programs into lightning fast assembly programs... The hardware development for the community is also in full force, so if you want to program a game to put on a physical cartridge, we can do that!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite machine to code, is the C64. But there is so much things on that computer that i prefer concentrate my coding on other component with smaller existing software library.

like : Colecovision, Commodore plus/4 , Amstrad CPC+ / Gx4000 , atari 7800, Hector , lynx, sharp Mz 80 ..etc..

Machine like Amiga, Atari St, NES, GameBoy, Atari XL, Apple 2 etc.... are like the c64 , too much software already exists.