IGNORED

...and the next one - Rip-Off 7800

PacManPlus

When the game is over, can you cycle through attract and final score screens? What about a high score table?

Put me down for a cart as well, please!

Whoops - forgot to test it without an HSC. :dunce:

There is no local HSC in this game, although it does (now) cycle through the options screen, last score screen, and HSC (if there is one)

RipOff.A78

RipOff.bin

RipOffP.A78

RipOffP.bin

Had a nice little triple session of gaming going on with Arcade, Vectrex and now this port. Here's my two cents:

Original Arcade

4 buttons: left, right, forward, fire

Respecting that, perhaps add the following 2 additional configurations in addition to the first already implemented one:

Config #1: (Ideal for 2600 joysticks - current implementation)

Rotate Left = Joystick Left

Rotate Right = Joystick Right

Forward = Joystick Up

Fire = Left or Right button

Config 2: (Default for 7800 joysticks/pads)

Rotate Left = Joystick Left

Rotate Right = Joystick Right

Forward = Left button

Fire = Right Button

Config #3: (Alternate for 7800 joysticks/pads - Might best simulate a more button/switch like feel for the game - also makes for an interesting and more coordinating control affect in trying to move forward and fire at the same time)

Rotate Left = Left button

Rotate Right = Right button

Forward = Joystick Up

Fire = Joystick Down

So maybe, if possible Bob, could you add three different control options above?

Edited by Trebor

Think I may have found a bug - this happened under MESS 0.145u1. I'll try my best to explain it. Basically, I cleared a round, pretty far along in the game, the tempo of the music was pretty fast. One container piece left. I can hear the enemies firing, but there are none on the screen.

Additionally, I tend to hover over the containers in general. Especially, when there's one piece left, I plant myself right on top of it. Not sure if that, coupled with the last remaining piece being so far along the edge of the screen, caused the effect.

As a side note, I continously hit the fire buttons while playing, even through and when a 'cleared round/show scoring' displays.

In the screen captures below, they are in order. The next round starts, I am on top of the container piece firing, I can hear the enemy rapidly firing, but nothing else ever appears on the screen. I start moving around the screen, firing and not firing, yet nothing ever appears. I continue to do this, as well as stop at times for ~90 seconds. No change. I hear the fast tempo "music", I hear the enemy rapidly firing, but it is just me, the container piece, and my firing that shows.

post-18-0-66081600-1332597177_thumb.pngpost-18-0-77616700-1332597187_thumb.png

post-18-0-44091000-1332597196_thumb.pngpost-18-0-52374200-1332597200_thumb.png

post-18-0-54760600-1332597215_thumb.pngpost-18-0-62483100-1332597224_thumb.png

Edited by Trebor

As a side note, I continously hit the fire buttons while playing, even through and when a 'cleared round/show scoring' displays.

Last comment/post for a while on this, but just wanted to highlight that this is a "feature" you are able to perform in the arcade as well. I love Bob's attention to detail when it comes to his ports. This along with allowing you to have only four bullets on the screen at once (Again matching the Arcade) is that 'polish' that really makes his ports beyond great.

Edited by Trebor

The last binary posted is attempting to write values to the ROM. The "STA (ZP), Y" code sequence at 0xF891, 0xF893 and F895 attempt to write to ROM location 0xC005 during a DLI that occurs while polling for VBLANK. The instructions at 0xF8A8 and 0xF8AF write to ROM location 0xC007. There are several ROM writes in the code after that up to address 0xC040.

The last binary posted is attempting to write values to the ROM. The "STA (ZP), Y" code sequence at 0xF891, 0xF893 and F895 attempt to write to ROM location 0xC005 during a DLI that occurs while polling for VBLANK. The instructions at 0xF8A8 and 0xF8AF write to ROM location 0xC007. There are several ROM writes in the code after that up to address 0xC040.

I do this intentionally. There are areas outside of the main playfield where the enemies are allowed, and I don't want to waste DLL entries for this. So, I made 'dummy' DLLs that point to the start of the bin ($C000) for the areas outside of the screen. Being that we aren't using bank-switching, this shouldn't be an issue:

;  DISPLAY LIST - $690 BYTES
DLIST00		 DS	  70
DLIST01		 DS	  70
DLIST02		 DS	  70
DLIST03		 DS	  70
DLIST04		 DS	  70
DLIST05		 DS	  70
DLIST06		 DS	  70
DLIST07		 DS	  70
DLIST08		 DS	  70
DLIST09		 DS	  70
DLIST10		 DS	  70
DLIST11		 DS	  70
DLIST12		 DS	  70
DLIST13		 DS	  70
DLIST14		 DS	  70
DLIST15		 DS	  70
DLIST16		 DS	  70
DLIST17		 DS	  70
DLIST18		 DS	  70
DLIST19		 DS	  70
DLIST20		 DS	  70
DLIST21		 DS	  70
DLIST22		 DS	  70
DLIST23		 DS	  70
;  431 BYTE(S) FREE
DLIST24		 EQU	 $C000				;THIS IS A DUMMY DLIST (ROM) FOR 'OFF-THE-SCREEN' STUFF

DLLO
	 .byte	<(DLIST00),<(DLIST01),<(DLIST02),<(DLIST03)
	 .byte	<(DLIST04),<(DLIST05),<(DLIST06),<(DLIST07)
	 .byte	<(DLIST08),<(DLIST09),<(DLIST10),<(DLIST11)
	 .byte	<(DLIST12),<(DLIST13),<(DLIST14),<(DLIST15)
	 .byte	<(DLIST16),<(DLIST17),<(DLIST18),<(DLIST19)
	 .byte	<(DLIST20),<(DLIST21),<(DLIST22),<(DLIST23)
	 .byte	<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24)
	 .byte	<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24),<(DLIST24) ; NEEDED TO PLACE THE SHIP 'OFF-THE-SCREEN' VERTICALLY
DLHI
	 .byte	>(DLIST00),>(DLIST01),>(DLIST02),>(DLIST03)
	 .byte	>(DLIST04),>(DLIST05),>(DLIST06),>(DLIST07)
	 .byte	>(DLIST08),>(DLIST09),>(DLIST10),>(DLIST11)
	 .byte	>(DLIST12),>(DLIST13),>(DLIST14),>(DLIST15)
	 .byte	>(DLIST16),>(DLIST17),>(DLIST18),>(DLIST19)
	 .byte	>(DLIST20),>(DLIST21),>(DLIST22),>(DLIST23)
	 .byte	>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24)
	 .byte	>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24),>(DLIST24) ; NEEDED TO PLACE THE SHIP 'OFF-THE-SCREEN' VERTICALLY

Trebor:

As far as the 'off the screen' enemies never appearing on screen, that had happened to me, and I believe I fixed it. Also, I compromised with your 'control' suggestion in an above post. I made 'Config 1' and 'Config 2', but not 'Config 3'. I don't think that is a likely scenario. The game now auto-detects if a 2600 or a 7800 joystick is plugged in, just like Scramble. Button 2 on the 7800 joystick is thrust. :)

Thanks!

Bob

EDIT - oops - forgot binaries :dunce:

RipOff.A78

RipOff.bin

RipOffP.A78

RipOffP.bin

I do this intentionally. There are areas outside of the main playfield where the enemies are allowed, and I don't want to waste DLL entries for this. So, I made 'dummy' DLLs that point to the start of the bin ($C000) for the areas outside of the screen. Being that we aren't using bank-switching, this shouldn't be an issue:

If your cart electronics use R/W# in its address decoding scheme then I agree its not an issue. If it doesn't then you'll end up with contention on the data bus because you'll be writing data at the same time as the ROM is driving the bus.