IGNORED

...and the next one - Rip-Off 7800

PacManPlus

Hmm.... I don't get it - I've made many carts this way, and they all seem to work fine - CrazyBrix, Meteor Shower, Space Invaders, and some of the Ms. Pac-Man Hacks (i.e. Crazy Otto) are all 16K and they've all been put on cart using this method.

• Like 1

Hmm.... I don't get it - I've made many carts this way, and they all seem to work fine - CrazyBrix, Meteor Shower, Space Invaders, and some of the Ms. Pac-Man Hacks (i.e. Crazy Otto) are all 16K and they've all been put on cart using this method.

I'd recommend the use of a NAND gate for correct address decoding. Before you fit the EPROM connect wires to A14 and OE# on the PCB (after removing the mask ROM as per normal). Solder the other ends of the wires to the two inputs on a NAND gate (it'll need power too). Bend out the legs for OE# and A14 on the EPROM. Connect the o/p of the NAND gate to OE# (pin 22) on the EPROM and connect the EPROMs A14 to GND. When connected like that any address between 0xC000 and 0xFFFF will enable the EPROM. However, you'll still get bus contention if you write to that address range. If you are using a 32K EPROM you'll need to make sure that your 16K image is in the lower half of the device.

As far as the 'off the screen' enemies never appearing on screen, that had happened to me, and I believe I fixed it. Also, I compromised with your 'control' suggestion in an above post. I made 'Config 1' and 'Config 2', but not 'Config 3'. I don't think that is a likely scenario. The game now auto-detects if a 2600 or a 7800 joystick is plugged in, just like Scramble. Button 2 on the 7800 joystick is thrust. :)

Very cool. Thank you.

I also just filed a bug report with Bugzilla - The 2 independent button feature is not recognized for RipOff or Scramble. Works fine under ProSystem and the real hardware. Unfortunately, since the server the MESS homepage (including Bugzilla) was hosted on crashed, it appears much was lost, including Bugzilla. I'll post the issue here as well in case any devs should take note:

MESS does not correctly identify 2 independent buttons for the following games:

Scramble - 1st/left button = missles & 2nd/right button = bombs

RipOff - 1st/left button = fire & 2nd/right button = thrust

The behavior for both titles instead translates as if only one button controller is present resulting in the following:

Scramble - 1st/left button = missiles and bombs & 2nd/right button = missiles and bombs

RipOff - 1st/left button = fire & 2nd/right button = fire [*Joystick Up now serves as thrust.*]

Both games behave correctly under the ProSystem emulator and on the real hardware. For some reason, under MESS, the behavior is as if a one independent button was only present.

Back to your regularly scheduled program :grin:

Edited by Trebor

Thanks :) Actually if they want an 'original release' that shows this issue, Asteroids also does this. MESS uses 'down' as hyperspace whereas if you had a two-button joystick, hyperspace is mapped to the second button.

Thanks for the info, Bob. I posted to the MESS message board as well. I'll add the above to it.

Just a quick update, the button problem in MESS should hopefully and thankfully be fixed in the next release:

"Huygens:

"I think I fixed it, patch submitted soon. Pin 6 of the controller port is the input for reading the button on a single button joystick. For two button controllers it's an output and is held high by the RIOT chip. The emulation was missing this.""

http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=78218Post78218

I have some Atari EPROM boards that do that. I think I may be the one who told you about it. I don't recall ever having a problem with it either.

Mitch

• Like 1

I have some Atari EPROM boards that do that. I think I may be the one who told you about it. I don't recall ever having a problem with it either.

Mitch

I've made a ton of carts with this method also and it works without ANY issue. I think all 3 of us have used this method for how many years now?? :lol:

I'd recommend the use of a NAND gate for correct address decoding. Before you fit the EPROM connect wires to A14 and OE# on the PCB (after removing the mask ROM as per normal). Solder the other ends of the wires to the two inputs on a NAND gate (it'll need power too). Bend out the legs for OE# and A14 on the EPROM. Connect the o/p of the NAND gate to OE# (pin 22) on the EPROM and connect the EPROMs A14 to GND. When connected like that any address between 0xC000 and 0xFFFF will enable the EPROM. However, you'll still get bus contention if you write to that address range. If you are using a 32K EPROM you'll need to make sure that your 16K image is in the lower half of the device.

I'm amazed you have time to be working on finishing the XM that is so far behind and talk shit about other people's work methods who actually finish projects. You sir are a multitasking genius.

If one of the enemy tanks is escaping with a fuel canister and I kill it right at my spawn point then all I have to do is hover over it and I can go several levels without the enemy tanks being able to take that fuel canister simply because my tank has turned into a respawning bomb. After awhile though they stop coming on screen unless I move away from the fuel canister. Guess they figured out my suicide bomb trap.

Good Find!

I've removed the exit points (for the enemies) closest to player 1 and player 2, so it should be *much* more rarer that this happens.

This is why I don't make carts right away. :) I learned from the Moon Cresta bug incident. ;)

Bob

Edited for clarity

RipOff.A78

RipOff.bin

RipOffP.A78

RipOffP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1