IGNORED

HSC Round 4.28: Donkey Kong Junior

Donkey Kong Junior (US)

The player controls a small monkey who must leap from platforms, climb vines, and avoid enemies to rescue Donkey Kong from Mario. The game has several distinct levels with similar goals. Fruit can be dropped on enemies leg traps and birds to kill them.

-International Arcade Museum

1064497058.jpg

Game Information

Game Name: Donkey Kong Jr.

Released By: Nintendo 1982

MAME ROMset: dkongjr

Dip Switches: Lives: 3 Bonus Life: 10000

Chosen By: bigbee99

ROM Location: http://romhustler.ne...-kong-junior-us

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record:

Competition ends Sunday, April 1st @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

802,500 homerwannabee

135,200 kane

110,100 bigbee99

102,300 acelkin

45,500 chuckwalla

45,300 M.A.M.E Offender

26,200 jblenkle

16,400 roadrunner

10,100 Cynicaster

Season Standings

Calculations through round 27

1. M.A.M.E Offender 421

2. bigbee99 414

3. Cynicaster 384

4. patbb 240

5. mr. toast 166

6. kane 143

7. roadrunner 108

8. acelkin 97

9. LarcenTyler 83

10. richard stewart 78

11. Barra 66

12. JohnnyBlaze 55

13. kojr 39

13. keilbaca 39

15. retrorussell 27

16. mightymage 23

17. onmode-ky 17

18. rmaerz 16

19. jblenkle 10

20. NE146 8

21. Raygunn 6

22. Kurt_Woloch 3

23. Fres 1

23. jblenkle 1

Edited by bigbee99

With all the hype around the DK franchise I'm probably in the minority here, but I haven't played this game in over 25 years, and even then, it was on the Atari 2600.

Dang it, I was on a roll there with Swimmer, Wacko, and Dragon Spirit. I think it's safe to say my winning streak ends here. :(

Hmm, had no clue my previous score was an AtariAge record. Well I improved on that score with 366,100

I don’t want to be a dick but I’ll be one anyway and ask: why do you bother posting scores in here if you only play games that you know you can thoroughly dominate?

It’s like if Albert Pujols went to a charity mixed-sport tournament and said the only event he’d participate in would be the homerun derby.

I already said I know I’m not a contender on this round even against the regulars in here, so make no mistake, this isn’t about me being upset that my chances at the DK Jr. title have just been ruined—I’m just curious what the point is of coming in here to post ridiculous scores on games you’ve spent half your life playing, then completely vanishing until another game you can dominate pops up. Where’s the sport in that?

Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box now. Guess I’ll see ya next time DK3 comes up in the rotation…

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 2

Hmm, had no clue my previous score was an AtariAge record. Well I improved on that score with 366,100

I don’t want to be a dick but I’ll be one anyway and ask: why do you bother posting scores in here if you only play games that you know you can thoroughly dominate?

It’s like if Albert Pujols went to a charity mixed-sport tournament and said the only event he’d participate in would be the homerun derby.

I already said I know I’m not a contender on this round even against the regulars in here, so make no mistake, this isn’t about me being upset that my chances at the DK Jr. title have just been ruined—I’m just curious what the point is of coming in here to post ridiculous scores on games you’ve spent half your life playing, then completely vanishing until another game you can dominate pops up. Where’s the sport in that?

Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box now. Guess I’ll see ya next time DK3 comes up in the rotation…

I don't mind it. I like it personally. Sure I know he's really good a DKJR and I don't stand a chance in winning but it's all good. Would I like to see what he can do on a random game? Sure! This is a LONG season though. Like NASCAR long! It takes a lot of dedication to make it the whole 40 something weeks. I dropped the buzz in several of the MAME players at TGI when this season started. Only one showed and he didn't realize how long the WHOLE season was. He stops in from time to time. I dig it. The more competition the better. If someone wants to stop in and compete for what ever reason I'm good with it. Weather it's to test the waters, play for fun, play competitively, personal gratification or promotion, whatever. I wish more would check in like that. I don't think it really messes with the overall standings either. I hate to go back to NASCAR, but they have part time drivers that qualify for the race and make top ten all the time. Sometimes they win! Look at Daytona 2011. The kid that won the race had never even ran a full season.

At least it's not Mighty Mage again. Stuff like that is complete BS

B

• Like 2

Thanks Bigbee! OK, tell you what. When it comes to Donkey Kong Junior or Donkey Kong 3 I will only post Donkey Kong Junior scores or Donkey Kong 3 scores when they are my personal highest for AtariAge. As far as other games goes I am not the greatest. I used to compete in the Atari 2600 high score club. I did OK, but usually did not come up with the highest score. Players like Deteacher, and Toymailman were better than me most of the time. Also remember that I was a member of AtariAge before I even got into classic arcade gaming. So it is not like I am from the outside looking in on this situation. Also I don't usually compete in the other stuff because to be honest I don't have many roms. I have Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Galaxian, and Galaga. That's it. I am not the greatest at Galaxian or Galaga to be honest, and if I see those games I would be glad to participate in those tournaments.

I don't mind it. I like it personally. Sure I know he's really good a DKJR and I don't stand a chance in winning but it's all good. Would I like to see what he can do on a random game? Sure! This is a LONG season though. Like NASCAR long! It takes a lot of dedication to make it the whole 40 something weeks. I dropped the buzz in several of the MAME players at TGI when this season started. Only one showed and he didn't realize how long the WHOLE season was. He stops in from time to time. I dig it. The more competition the better. If someone wants to stop in and compete for what ever reason I'm good with it. Weather it's to test the waters, play for fun, play competitively, personal gratification or promotion, whatever. I wish more would check in like that. I don't think it really messes with the overall standings either. I hate to go back to NASCAR, but they have part time drivers that qualify for the race and make top ten all the time. Sometimes they win! Look at Daytona 2011. The kid that won the race had never even ran a full season.

At least it's not Mighty Mage again. Stuff like that is complete BS

B

I think I should clarify what I meant. Indeed the season is long, and to have a real go at it takes far more time than most folks are willing to part with. If somebody would prefer to be a "part timer" and only pop in from time to time, that's obviously not only fine, but welcomed. It's just that if you only pop in for games where you know you will steam-roll everybody, to me, it smacks of an "if I can't win I won't play" philosophy which I think is against the spirit of what we're doing here. Every week we have a handful of players trying their hands at games they've never played or even heard of, but they do it anyway, and post their results no matter how good or bad they may be.

Take, for example, this flaming turd of a DK Jr. score: 10,100

Yeah, that's embarrassing but the week is young. :)

As far as other games goes I am not the greatest.

I think you might be missing the point here. Who cares if you're not the greatest--try some of these hidden gems out and I promise you'll find new games that you enjoy.

why do you bother posting scores in here if you only play games that you know you can thoroughly dominate?

The real question is why would he post a 47k score when he's capable of 1 million plus?? :-o And I think we should encourage any and all to take part in the comp as often as they can.

This is more indicitive of a typical DKJr score from me. I really have trouble with the level 5+ birds as I've never got around to working out a reliable pattern, some days I can do it some days I just can't. I've been known to get to the L5 birds without losing any lives and loose them all on that one level...

post-27306-0-81358400-1332834566_thumb.png