IGNORED

HSC Round 4.28: Donkey Kong Junior

Holy crap they still haven't made you forum mod, BigBee? It only takes like two minutes to move your account into the respective group. I'd clean up the forum stickies and what not but if I keep doing that why make a moderator change?

Now, onto the part-time player issue: HSC Rules state (paraphrasing) "any member can post a score at any time" (and I believe it says the same for game requests). For me, after playing regularly, I started only playing games that I like strictly out of the interest of time. I like to play part-time in the ColecoVision HSC when there's a game I really like.

I see where Cynicaster's coming from. And I think he speaks for the better of the HSC in getting players to play more than just games they dominate in order to increase participation and a chance for that player to discover new games.

As for me, I'm still waiting for Star Castle to be picked as the game of the week. I haven't played it recently, and I need incentive to play! ;-)

Now, on a somewhat related topic in regard to participation, riddle me this: why do I only have 4 friggin' players in Retrocade Magazine's Atari 5200 tournament (I posted the same question in a thread in the 5200 forum - just want another opinion)? GameGavel is giving a $50 credit at GameGavel.com to the winner of this tournament and runner-up receives a signed copy of Randy Pearson's book "Driving Crazy."

How many opportunities do gamers have in winning "real-world" prizes for playing video games without having to travel somewhere to play live? It's baffling and low turnouts don't bode well for future events, unfortunately. It's not a threat - it's just reality.

Incidentally, if you missed out on the Arcade Winter Blast tournament, first prize was a BurgerTime World Tour t-shirt and Starcade DVDs courtesy of Patrick Scott Patterson. Second and third place also received Starcade DVDs.

I'll be having another Arcade/MAME Summer Showdown this summer folks. I think this time I'm going to slip in a b/w title like Starship 1 or Sky Raider.

• Like 1

Holy crap they still haven't made you forum mod, BigBee? It only takes like two minutes to move your account into the respective group. I'd clean up the forum stickies and what not but if I keep doing that why make a moderator change?

I messaged Albert twice about it. Once at the beginning and once more a week ago. I never got anything back from him. Anyone else I could message? I thought about messaging one of the global mods but I have not yet.

B

Based on my relatively limited time in the retrogaming community, I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of people would rather collect closets full of crusty old cartridges or sit around and talk about old games than actually play them. Couple that with the fact that the 5200 is a relatively uncommon console and that might at least partly explain low participation in a tournament. It certainly isn't Rob's organizational or promotional abilities at fault, because those are some of the strongest I've seen anywhere.

I can only speak for the area where I grew up--and M.O. can corroborate this--but in hanging out with all manner of neighborhood gamers of all shapes and sizes throughout the 80's, I can recall exactly ONE time that I saw a real Atari 5200 with my own eyes. That was probably 1985 or so, and haven't seen one since.

• Like 1

...quite the topic on our hands here. @Homerwannabe, if you only have a small handful of roms, have interest in playing other games just for the shit of it, I suggest you d/l a copy of Wolfmame or even more recent than that. It's considered freeware, so you will never have to worry about paying a dime for it. The creators of MAME didn't do it for the money. They did it to allow the world to delve into nostalgialand and play classic games, any and all, mainly from the 80's and 90's. They did the select few a favour that understand, appreciate, and love the playing of "old school" video games. Let's face it, that's why we are all here in the first place. This site caters to these people. It's a beautiful thing, lemme tell ya!

As far as Homerwannabe coming in and absolutely bullying his competition, well, I would hope he'd show up again so we can see what else he is good (or not so) good at. If you ask me, I'll agree with the b, he's no MightyMage/Richard Stewart wierdo who gets off on cheating.

That being said, I hope to see you in the upcoming tournament!

Well from Level 4 and up it basically repeats in difficulty level. I made this video over a year ago. It has helpful information for anyone who is an intermediate level Donkey Kong Junior player, and below. I have really, really bad internet load times. 6 minutes takes about an hour to upload.

As cliche as is sounds, you make that game look easy!! I must admit, you exposed a lot of "safe zones", "point pressing" tricks, and timing tricks. That was really fun to watch.

Watching this video reminded me of how shitty I am at DKJR!!

Next week, please!!

When is Defender going to be the game of the week?

Edited by M.A.M.E Offender

Well from Level 4 and up it basically repeats in difficulty level. I made this video over a year ago. It has helpful information for anyone who is an intermediate level Donkey Kong Junior player, and below. I have really, really bad internet load times. 6 minutes takes about an hour to upload. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7PCY7zZfk

As cliche as is sounds, you make that game look easy!! I must admit, you exposed a lot of "safe zones", "point pressing" tricks, and timing tricks. That was really fun to watch.

Watching this video reminded me of how shitty I am at DKJR!!

Next week, please!!

When is Defender going to be the game of the week?

I agree M.O., I enjoyed watching this video as well! Doesn't make me play it any better though! lol Thanks for posting this. Oh, and on the 802,500 score....Doh!!!

I managed to improve just a little.

Cyn? was that 10k your score? I don't see anything else up.

B

Ah shit, I had a slightly better one that I thought I posted but guess I didn't. Oh well, rules are rules and it wouldn't have helped me much anyway. :)

Yikes, glad this round is over.