IGNORED

New development IDE in the works

It would be nice if your IDE would be useful for Basic too.

An IDE based on Turbo Basic XL + compiler, like Visual batariBasic for VCS (http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/ - scroll the page), would be awesome.

I had already thought of possibly including a BASIC source editor that would LIST out to disk with either ASCII or ATASCII line endings (user selectable). Not sure if it will be in this release, but it is definitely something I am considering.

It would be nice to automatically compile and run programs.

Regarding your sprite editor, have you checked this one (ORed color, animation, ASM/C/Basic data export) ?

http://playsoft.co.uk/atari_index.html

Thanks for the link.

The sprite editor of my system will also include things like ORed colour and animation. As Present, it will create a binary file to be included into the project source, but I may include an export feature at a later date.

Oh, and it will be able to compile and automatically run the executable in the specified emulator.

Try to be careful not to overlap too much with this project....

http://www.ataritool...1-8_BIT-k2-.htm

Although I LOVE PC based Atari tools, it'd be a shame to see people duplicating their efforts to produce similar features.

I think that yours is more of a programming tool though, and AtariTools is more of a design tool for Ataris.

Interesting tool, shame its PC only. As you can tell from my screen shots, I am developing this on a Mac, although I will also be cross compiling for Windows once it is finished.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to let anyone who is interested know, due to illness, there has been a delay in development. I hope to be back to things soon, but for the immediate future, I am putting this on hold. This does NOT mean that this project is abandoned, far from it. This is my priority for home coding.

I originally planned a beta release date for the end of this month, but I may have to put this back a couple of months.

On a brighter note, this break has allowed me to look at what I have been doing and see where the project can be improved. So, hopefully, things will be better when I can get back to it.

Until then, I will be playing Miner 2049er and Pac-Man :-D

Edited by Pengwin

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking very promising to me ! I've always missed some good tools for graphics and p/m graphics...I really hope that you will finish this IDE, and especially because it works with OSX ! Is there already downloadable beta-test version ? That would be great to pick up programming asm again :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping that this isn't abandoned. It looks really cool... and actually helpful for more than just Atari programming (I like to make my modern game programming look retro, too).

No, not abandoned. I've had to do a slight rethink about the project though. It was starting to become disjointed, so I have now redesigned it, so that it has a more integrated feel.

Unfortunately/Fortunately (delete as applicable), I have had to focus a bit more on a paying project, so dev of the IDE has slowed down, but it is definitely NOT abandoned.

• Like 1

A quick update, so people don't think I have left this behind.

I have managed to fins a couple of hours free today, so I have done a little tidy up and some code optimisation on what I have so far.

I still need to make a few alterations on some of the controls that have been implemented, but I just wanted to show everyone where I stand.

As you can see from the screen shots, everything is more integrated now. I am no longer using extra windows for the DL editor or the character set editor. The sprite editor will also follow the same pattern. I am currently working on the sprite editor, which will allow frames, animated previews and overlaying. I will also have an option to edit the '5th sprite' as a single colour entity, or as the 4 coloured missiles.

It is also possible to overlay another sprite on the one you are editing with the colour mix either on or off.

Once I have that in place, it will be time for the assemblers and emulators to be connected.

acds250601.png

acds250602.png

acds250603.png

• Like 3

Truly fantastic ! A decent sprite editor is just what I/we need ! I'm really hoping you'll be finishing this great project !

Thanks. The Sprite editor is next. I hope you'll like it.

Do I see a conversion of Hungry Horace on the way?

Yes you do. In fact, this is what started this whole project off. Whilst I cannot sing high enough praises for WUDSN, I fancied an editor with a smaller footprint than Eclipse while I was starting off HH. I also needed a character set editor and a sprite editor, so the idea behind ACDS was born. Once I hace ACDS in a beta state, I will be using it to finish off my Hungry Horace conversion.

My brother had "Hungry Horace" and then "Horace goes Skiing" on the Spectrum when I was very young (about 4 years old), so they are some of my earliest impressions of computer games. It's funny to see the former coming over to the Atari after 30 years!

You have a good looking IDE there. Which assemblers/languages will it link into? (or is that completely configurable?)

Edited by snicklin

My brother had "Hungry Horace" and then "Horace goes Skiing" on the Spectrum when I was very young (about 4 years old), so they are some of my earliest impressions of computer games. It's funny to see the former coming over to the Atari after 30 years!

You have a good looking IDE there. Which assemblers/languages will it link into? (or is that completely configurable?)

I had all three of the original Horace games on the spectrum. I hope to eventually convert all of them.

The IDE is only for assembly at the moment, but it will be able to handle most Mac/PC based assemblers, including MADS and ATASM.

This is looking very promising.

Can I ask, you've said that it'll handle most assemblers, so I guess that you'll have somewhere where you can state the location of the compiler.

Wherever that location is in your GUI, could it also have another feature? When I do a build, I might want to a "Pre-compile" set of actions and a "Post-Compile" set of actions (perhaps preparing the graphics and then maybe creating a zip of the XEX file at the end). You may have this already, I'm not sure... but would this functionality be OK? Just for clarity, I'd only want a text box where I can state what to execute for these commands, not that I want you building a zipping routine!

This is looking very promising.

Can I ask, you've said that it'll handle most assemblers, so I guess that you'll have somewhere where you can state the location of the compiler.

Wherever that location is in your GUI, could it also have another feature? When I do a build, I might want to a "Pre-compile" set of actions and a "Post-Compile" set of actions (perhaps preparing the graphics and then maybe creating a zip of the XEX file at the end). You may have this already, I'm not sure... but would this functionality be OK? Just for clarity, I'd only want a text box where I can state what to execute for these commands, not that I want you building a zipping routine!

Interesting idea. I don't think it'll make it into this version though. Unfortunately, I am finding it really hard to find the time to get anything done on this at the moment and a new feature like that will only put things back further. However, (this is just me thinking out load) a simple box for shell scripting might be possible with minimal fuss. This could allow the execution of command line functions both before and after the compilation. On OS X, this would be simple unix type commands and on Windows, DOS like commands. How does that sound?

Of course it is completely up to you, but I was wondering whether you could release this whenever you have a stable version?

Or would you prefer to wait until everything is done and then release?

As soon as it is in a usable state, I will be releasing an alpha for testing.

Interesting idea. I don't think it'll make it into this version though. Unfortunately, I am finding it really hard to find the time to get anything done on this at the moment and a new feature like that will only put things back further. However, (this is just me thinking out load) a simple box for shell scripting might be possible with minimal fuss. This could allow the execution of command line functions both before and after the compilation. On OS X, this would be simple unix type commands and on Windows, DOS like commands. How does that sound?

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I can then code a DOS or Perl script (when using Windows) and then get it to execute that script, with Windows doing all the work (or Linux, Mac OS etc), not your IDE. Don't worry if you can't get it into this version, it's just something that will be useful in the long term. A feature like this will be useful because lots of people will want to do different things, so many different things that you cannot code for them all.

As soon as it is in a usable state, I will be releasing an alpha for testing.

Wonderful and thank you!

• 2 months later...