IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2012 Round 4 Klax

roadrunner

The Lynx HSC Game Of The Month is Klax.

post-22103-0-44347400-1333268841_thumb.png post-22103-0-87214800-1333268868_thumb.png

Settings - Easy (default) Start on Wave 1

The All Time Lynx HSC Record is 584,020 by Damon Plus

Beat this record for a bonus point!

(Busted) new record 829,400 by PFG 9000 1 bonus point

Deadline to post scores is May 1st 2012

Any control setup is fine.

Emulation is ok.

Save states are not allowed.

Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Final High Scores -

1. PFG 9000 829,400 +11 +1 = +12 points

2. zoltan 375,285 +10 points

3. BillyHW 353,795 +9 points

4. roadrunner 90,550 +8 points

5. Amstari 87,075 +7 points

6. Tempest2k 42,050 +6 points

Current Point Standings -

PFG 9000 (31)

Tempest2k (29)

roadrunner (21)

BillyHW (18)

Atari_afternoon (16)

Amstari (16)

ACrystal2011 ( 8 )

Link to manual

http://www.atariage....areLabelID=1897

any corrections please post.

Edited by roadrunner

You guys don't own this one? It's probably the best Lynx game ever made. I also think it's the best version of Klax ever made, including the arcade. Lameboy owners may have had Tetris, but we Lynx owner got to experience the full-colour glory that is Klax! Best sound fx ever too.

Is there a working Lynx emulator other than Handy?

I can't believe it myself, but I actually agree with Billy. Klax is absolutely worth picking up for Lynx fans. It's so perfectly programmed, especially with all the amazing sound effects. I still can't believe a game could sound this good back then, and I never owned Klax until many years after it came out. You really need to play the real thing to see just how good it is. It's really a thing of beauty. And I believe it's not terribly pricey, either.

DSCF5832.jpg

I recall reading back in the day that the Lynx port of Klax incorporated an Arcade feature that would speed up the tiles after playing for a certain amount of time (so that the player would need to use more quarters sooner, to maximize profit). If that's true, then it's probably a good idea to play as quickly as you can and to hold the down button to speed up the tiles whenever possible, so that you can get as many points as possible before the speed increases.

Is there a working Lynx emulator other than Handy?

I can't believe it myself, but I actually agree with Billy. Klax is absolutely worth picking up for Lynx fans. It's so perfectly programmed, especially with all the amazing sound effects. I still can't believe a game could sound this good back then, and I never owned Klax until many years after it came out. You really need to play the real thing to see just how good it is. It's really a thing of beauty. And I believe it's not terribly pricey, either.

DSCF5832.jpg

I recall reading back in the day that the Lynx port of Klax incorporated an Arcade feature that would speed up the tiles after playing for a certain amount of time (so that the player would need to use more quarters sooner, to maximize profit). If that's true, then it's probably a good idea to play as quickly as you can and to hold the down button to speed up the tiles whenever possible, so that you can get as many points as possible before the speed increases.

I thought that the speed-up was after a certain number of tiles, not a certain amount of time. But maybe I was wrong.

I thought that the speed-up was after a certain number of tiles, not a certain amount of time. But maybe I was wrong.

That could be. It's been a long time since I read whatever it was. But tonight while looking through my old gaming junk, I think I might've found the article where I read that. I have some stuff to sort through first, but I'll let ya'll know if I find it.

So how are you guys approaching it? Are you guys using the warps at all, or just playing the levels in straight order? Are you trying for X's on every stage?

Perhaps we could also have separate categories for points and level reached? Or do those in separate months? Just an idea.

BTW, has anybody ever finished this game?

Edited by BillyHW

So how are you guys approaching it? Are you guys using the warps at all, or just playing the levels in straight order? Are you trying for X's on every stage?

Perhaps we could also have separate categories for points and level reached? Or do those in separate months? Just an idea.

Warping is allowed if you get to a warp screen. There's nothing in the rules againt that. Just start on wave 1

For me getting diagonal's is a great way to pile up the points.

I think it's too late in this round to have a separate category for points and levels reached.

That's a good idea for next time we play this one.

Warping is allowed if you get to a warp screen. There's nothing in the rules againt that. Just start on wave 1

I think it's too late in this round to have a separate category for points and levels reached.

Yeah, but is warping a good idea if you're playing for points?

Yeah, but is warping a good idea if you're playing for points?

Yeah it's probably not a good idea to warp since the tiles are faster the further u get in the game.

Those who know how to get the giant x can probably score huge points on the first few waves.

Warping is very hard in Klax. It basically comes down to whether the game wants to give you the right tiles to get the Big X. If it doesn't, you're out of luck, and by the time you find out that you're not getting the right tiles, it's way too late to switch strategies and your game is just about over. Also, it's tough enough just to make it to a warp stage, since it's something like seven levels in. And if you do manage to warp, you'll be at level 51 (or later, if you've used a later warp), and the jump in difficulty is significant.

But if you can pull off a warp, it's the way to go, points-wise.