IGNORED

Adventure 2600 to 8bit ?

LYNXGUY

I suspect it's written in Basic.

It'd be a good candidate to port in 100% assembler. Fairly sure a fair amount of reverse-engineering has been done on the Rom. Even if it hasn't, the game could probably be ported without too much pain, although about the only thing you'd keep is the algorithm for the enemy actions and the initial object placement.

I suspect it's written in Basic.

It'd be a good candidate to port in 100% assembler. Fairly sure a fair amount of reverse-engineering has been done on the Rom. Even if it hasn't, the game could probably be ported without too much pain, although about the only thing you'd keep is the algorithm for the enemy actions and the initial object placement.

The ATR image contains both the BASIC file and a compiled version, called ADV1.COM. I was able to test this version on a 130XE by renaming it AUTORUN.SYS and re-booting with BASIC disabled.

• 3 years later...

It would be interesting if someone could complete it. Even using basic, someone can probably add that Compute! magazine Player/Missile ML thing to speed up movement of the objects. (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/124990-computes-pm-graphics-toolkit-help/?hl=peteym5&do=findComment&comment=1511763). Once someone gets it working, start porting sections of it over to ML until you have a fast moving game. Another ideal since the 8-bit has all this memory space, you can go beyond the 3 game options and maybe make some different or larger realms, add more dragons, or other enhancements.

A big part of the "charm" of the original is the quirks within the game due to tight programming requirements & the hardware limitations.

For my liking, the ideal would be to port the original over in similar fashion to how phaeron did to the pinball game.

Or at least have the option to turn certain aspects on/off (the flicker when lots of stuff is onscreen does get annoying)

(From the docs) This was written by Tony Ramos who certainly knew his way around writing things in Basic. It would be an interesting challenge to "fix it," but there is probably not much incentive to spend the time needed to figure out what he was doing and then improving on it. Maybe Veronica Basic? Maybe with an accelerator? The accelerators are still out there with the "will-o-the-wisp," but Veronica Basic is available now, if you bought one. It would be interesting to try the current Ramos version with other software and hardware solutions to see where that leads.

-Larry

If I was going to port it to the A8 in assembly, I would start with the original 2600 code. The graphics would need to be updated but all the game logic could be used mostly as is. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fully disassembled and commented copy of 2600 Adventure floating around.

If I was going to port it to the A8, I would start with the original 2600 code. The graphics would need to be updated but all the game logic could be used mostly as is. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fully disassembled and commented copy of 2600 Adventure floating around.

Its on the 2600's MiniDig :-

http://www.qotile.net/minidig/

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fully disassembled and commented copy of 2600 Adventure floating around.

Nukey Shay has done several updated Adventure assemblies including features such as flipping dragons, 16k roms, and fancy sprites. You can find one of his older assemblies on my MissAdventure post in my signature.

That's a nicely done disassembly. Hmm. Might be a fun little project to port it over to the A8. I would have to learn how the 2600 hardware works though. I've never messed around with it.

You might want to refer to the three 2600 conversions that phaeron has done, to which there is source code available. It might give you some direction/insight into the process.

Midnight Magic

Seaquest

Stampede

• Like 2