IGNORED

Atari's Plato Cartridge question

DarkLord

Hmm... MIO + LANTRONIX should give an R: device... looks like I'll have to burn an image onto an Atarimax cart...

If you wan't to get on like I do, I think you're going to need and EDS version of the Lantronix....

but it won't hurt to try.... I think some of the units do encryption even though it's not advertised, If I remember correctly

Edited by _The Doctor__

(pasted from my facebook)

Over the last day, I got to help resurrect a long lost piece of Atari software, connect it to the internet, and use it.

PLATO was an online service that operated from 1960 until 2006, and provided cutting edge ideas into the context of creating educational hardware and software for primary, secondary, and university learning environments.
In 1981, Atari had partnered with PLATO to produce a cartridge that would allow an Atari computer to connect to PLATO to use its lessons (software).
I and a few others have successfully used this cartridge to connect to the one remaining PLATO installation, and use its services, and I just recorded a video demonstrating it (27 mins):

Very nice I'm glad your taking the time to make videos and chronicle this. I certainly don't have the energy needed to do it. From the bottom of my heart appreciation for jumping in to this. The background colors used to change. The only changes that were to be were foreground, foreground and background swap and intensity though I am not sure if all that is in there. What a nice journey to continue on!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I'm surprised no one has connected their touch pads to the Atari, you'll find it should work, this was a distinct feature of the Atari version. 48k or more for all of it to work, 16k to barely get by... yep it's scale-able in what it can do, based on memory.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Please let them also know the touch screen worked on the Atari so they can check on that as well, and if you didn't have a touch screen you used the touch pad and that worked in place of it.

I'm not able to get at my Atari for a bit. I'm still surprised they haven't simply found the Atari stuff, it's got to be there. Our terminal was as close to the real deal as possible save the resolution, and even that was pretty d*rn sharp at the time!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just enough knowledge is still reachable to frustrate myself, hopefully it's enough to move others to uncover some more of the good stuff that exists.

I can't wait for the rest of the AtariAge gang to get on PLATO.

A nice online multi player adventure or empire awaits. Wishing to be of more help. My joy at the moment is watching the updates and seeing it unfold. I liked watching the joystick control the game. I literally smiled watching it cross the screen. Another happy day!

Hey, dust off all those cartridge solutions put a PLATO or Learning Phone Image on it... Come join the fun and be a part of history as PLATO rises once more!

Edited by _The Doctor__

everybody probably already has the guide but here it is anyway

AtariTheLearningPhone.pdf

I just did a search and figured it would help get more people going, making it convenient.

Now I'm going to read it.

*edit*

wow now that's quite a guide.

Glad I read but I think I better print it out and keep it handy...

This calls for a keyboard surround hint sheet.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

while it's not an official release, the 850 interface has been improved in Altirra, Many other things are improved or fixed as well. I'd grab it and come back to here.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273633-altirra-300-released/?p=3953616

it may improve those using the emulators experience.

Everybody else should carry on enjoying what they've got working... cause it's quite nice.

Took a while before you started doing stuff I thought it was a bad upload or gif, so I was ready to let you know then it started to display etc.. gif loop... :)

You realize that these carts are going to suddenly appear on those evil pay auction sites one at a time for like 55-60 bucks piece now...

I'd suggest trying to work a deal for less in pm's

I'd use a tiny bootloader with it if going the file route until it's all sorted out.

Edited by _The Doctor__