IGNORED

ROLL BOSS RUSH (PSX/PSOne/Playstaion -WIP-)

isufje

UPDATED 12-29-2015

tumblr_ms6h1tHqJQ1sy302go1_1280.png

Currently have 8 robot Masters and 1 Wily Boss (shooting for 24*)

Roll Boss Rush is an On-going PSX Homebrew project of mine. It's a 2D Action Platformer, but mostly it's just fighting a boss (or bosses) on a single screen.

Game Description:

You play as Megaman's sister ROLL, but not the Roll based on the Japanese Canon, but the Ruby Spears MegaMan Cartoon.
There are now 4 difficulty levels (easy-normal-hard & one-hit). You choose one main weapon (straight-spread-charge or burst) and one sub-weapon (vacuum-toaster-saw). You can also now choose between fighting 1 or 2 bosses at the same time (mono-melee) regardless of difficulty level.

During battles you can grab your enemy and absorb their power and use it against them. She can even perform some physical attacks such as a drop kick. You also have a super meter that allows you to perform a SUPER MOVE. Based on what weapon you're currently using, you can perform different SUPER MOVES.

Each boss has a weakness, much like every other megaman game. At the end of each battle, you're given a grade based upon your performance, an information Token, and a Password.

DownloadGame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plw55ayog3iru4z/rbr_110a.rar?dl=1
Source Code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9304ssd7fa11zat/source_110a.rar?dl=1

Youtube - Glitches

Any feedback would be nice.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have been using ePSXe throughout the development process.

Edited by isufje
  • Like 1

Do you plan on releasing this game? If so, I'd buy a copy.

Thanks for the kind words.

'Releasing?'

I think you mean finishing. Yes,

I do plan on finishing this game eventually. I just can't give you any timetable on when. With the finished game I would like to have 24 enemy bosses, a couple of Dr. Wily Stages each with their own unique boss and the ubiquitous 'Fight every boss over again' stage... with a twist!

But those ideas might be too ambitious. I might end up just having the original 6 -> ICE-FIRE-GUTS-BOMB-ELEC-CUT <- and a few Wily stages.

As for 'Releasing', I was planning on just dumping it on SNES-O-RAMA, but they got canned recently. So I don't know were to put it if i ever get finished?

Edited by isufje

Here.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?155936-2011-Any-PSX-programmers-out-there

This was the first thread I started for this game, sort of. It has a bit of info on what I used.

But to sum it up, I'm using Psy-q 4.6 for compile. 3D studio for 3d modeling. Milkshape for animation. VirtuaNSF for extracting NES sound fx from Megaman 1-6. SFXR for creating various sound effects. I also ripped a few Roll voice samples from US Megaman Cartoon. I draw everything in Paint Tool Sai. And I'm ripping sequenced music from PSF files. <- I plan on changing that in the future. I can compose my own music, it's just not as good, or easy to do. Music is hard.

I've tested your game and think it's very good.

You have managed how to create your own 3d texturized models, very impressive :)

The models are well done and the animation is very good also.

I've encourage you to release your game in fisical form (CDs) perhaps here in AtariAge you can find somebody to help you.

The robo master list is close? Can I suggest you a character?

Slashman is my favorite robo master, how about SlashWoman? Check the design I did.

Good luck in your project.

post-10940-0-03929300-1334267347_thumb.gif

The robo master list is close? Can I suggest you a character?

How about SlashWoman?

First off, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you like it.

Is the Robo Master List closed? No, not really. I'm programming this thing as I go along, so I can put in anything I want.

So... I'll put Slash Woman in! I was looking for an excuse to give Roll a strider like slash move, this would be a perfect excuse.

I'll start drawing my rendition and model her in 3D. This may take a while, but I'll put her in for sure.

One question though, do you want a specific coloring scheme?? Can I give her purple hair, or do you want to give me what color to do? Your drawing is in black and white. Or do you just want the Slash Man color palette?

That's great! Thanks :)

If you can add more triangles on her ponytail would looks better, don't know how much polygons can you use in a character.

Her weakness must to be the ice, and the background something like jungle / jurassic park, you know, if it is not too hard to make.

If you need help with another character just ask ;)

See ya.

Edited by LS_Dracon

Wow ! Finally someone coding on the Playstation, I thought I was the only one :D

You really put lots of work in that game, it's impressive !

I'm wondering how you achieved to do textured TMD model and animation !

I tried to use a lots of different tools put never found something exporting texture coordinates in TMD or RSD format.

Also I never found a simple way to do 3D animation on psx.

Anyway, congratulation for your game, it's nicely done and very polished !

I'm wondering how you achieved to do textured TMD model and animation !

Well first off, thanks for those kind words. I'm glad you like it.

As for the texturing, I first started only using rsdtool. I would use windows Magnifier to assist me with mapping each individual polygon face manually. I actually did Roll and ICE WOMAN this way, completely.

Later on I started to mess with an old 3D Studio R4 (DOS) plugin call TOD_I.KXP

It was a plugin created by Sony to assist 3D Studio users create TOD animation. But it also lets you output textured RSD models. I took advantage of the latter feature to created my own fully textured characters. Both Guts Woman and Bomb Woman were created this way. But you still have to use RSDTOOL to verify texture alignment.

I also found out that Metasequoia outputs RSD models with texture coordinates, but I found this program/method to be to complicated to use. I actually got it to work eventually, but I don't think all the effort put forth was worth it.

But just because I can't use Metasequoia doesn't mean you can't. Just check out this guy's work -> http://z4.invisionfr...wtopic=372&st=0

He does a really good job with Metasequoia.

screenbu.png

As for animation, I use Milkshape. I use the Joint feature to manipulate the model. After that I use MIMEFILT.exe to output a Vertex Differece File or .VDF Then I use the standard Mime Function Library (MIME.c NMIME.c MIME.h NMIME.h) to animate it via source code.

Only problem with this method is that it's very CPU intensive. But the bright side is that you can accurately calculate assumed frames realtime.

It is also possible to calculate multiple models before hand and just call them later which would solve the CPU drain, but I still haven't gotten around to doing this yet ^_^...

Thanks for the answer !

Yeah I found that TOD plugin but it took me a lot of time to find this specific version of 3DS (r4), and finally I didn't really understand who to make 3D model with it.

I also found that MIME lib but didn't really understand how it was working. (I'm not very skilled for 3D computing stuff)

Anyway congratulations on succeeding to make something nice out of these not so easy to use tools :)

I will try Metasequoia ! But what I was thinking about was to make some kind of "common" 3D objects format to RSD converter (rsd is easy text format)

• 4 weeks later...

http://205.196.122.120/64ao7xdy6kog/i131kpsb7y6y22r/RBR_104c.ISO

http://199.91.153.113/ftdmb6k1569g/x79vxnbbbo7mr9r/source_104d.rar (source code)

Here's an update. SLash Woman is all in! Thanks to LS_Dracon for his contribution (Sorry it took so long ^_^) I haven't really debugged this one thoroughly, so if anyone finds something wrong, just post it. I'll read it. Thanks.

dzq005a.png

Edited by isufje

If you wanna help out and 3d model another character, Take you pick! 500-ish triangles or less is ideal. I haven't even started on any myself.

ELEC_VSa.pngplantvsa.png

firevsa.pngcutvsa.png

Edited by isufje

If you wanna help out and 3d model another character, Take you pick! 500-ish triangles or less is ideal. I haven't even started on any myself.

Yes! Fire girl!

But I would like to change her design a bit, if you don't mind....

Edited by LS_Dracon