IGNORED

Replacement Jag Controller Buttons

Judas-Prime

Hi all,

Here is another addition to my Button creations..... A brand new D-pad. FYI: This is a rough first pass..proof of concept so the next model will be much better.

The name was a combination effort between my wife and myself. The new D-paD'S Name is....

"The Double Dee"

post-32638-0-58637100-1335175360_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-63838900-1335175379_thumb.jpg

"The "OG'" Double Dee"

post-32638-0-51103800-1335178293_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-88357600-1335178301_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-31744500-1335178327_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-97102400-1335178368_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-40515500-1335178399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 3

Here is another addition to my Button creations..... A brand new D-pad.

FYI: This is a rough first pass..proof of concept so the next model will be much better.

"The Double Dee"

Interesting, looks like a PS3 mushroom grip on top of the dpad, how does it feel when playing with it?

FYI: This is a rough first pass..proof of concept so the next model will be much better.

"The Double Dee"

Interesting, looks like a PS3 mushroom grip on top of the dpad, how does it feel when playing with it?

Yes, well it is made from an Xbox 360 Analog Nub. I made a mould of the nub, Cast the nub in resin then placed it on one of my d-pads, I then made a new mould of the combined parts, this was all done so after casting, "The Double Dee" will be solid resin, the nub cannot come off as it is no longer a separate piece.

It feels pretty good, it changes the amount of travel my thumb has to take to activate the directionals....works very well with Tempest. I just like the look of it honestly...very aggressive styling. I have a few other ideas I may goof around with...more joystick / D-Pad ideas.

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 4

I'd love to buy some buttons for both my Jaguar and Jag/Coleco conversions. How about Pro Controller?

I dont currently own a Pro Controller so I cannot make the moulds I need to cast the pieces. If someone wants to send me the shell and buttons from a pro controller Ill make the moulds and send the pro controller shell back with a replica pro-controller shell and a set of buttons for free. The pro controllers are just too expensive to buy anymore.

I will be making an announcement soon about controller cases and button availability or purchase.

Edited by Judas-Prime

I'd love to buy some buttons for both my Jaguar and Jag/Coleco conversions. How about Pro Controller?

I dont currently own a Pro Controller so I cannot make the moulds I need to cast the pieces. If someone wants to send me the shell and buttons from a pro controller Ill make the moulds and send the pro controller shell back with a replica pro-controller shell and a set of buttons for free. The pro controllers are just too expensive to buy anymore.

I will be making an announcement soon about controller cases and button availability or purchase.

I wouldn't mind sending you my shell and buttons but I'm in the U.K. Would that matter to you? Would the white XYZ, ABC, Pause & Option wording on the case be safe taking a mould?

I wouldn't mind sending you my shell and buttons but I'm in the U.K. Would that matter to you? Would the white XYZ, ABC, Pause & Option wording on the case be safe taking a mould?

Hello again, I would be open to it yes. I am currently doing my moulds for the standard controller so that is taking up my free time, but I am interested in the pro controller. Im not 100% sure it wont affect the white lettering. With that in mind let me cast a standard controller and see what happens before we agree to shipping me the pro-controller shells and such. I dont mind ruining MY stuff....but until I know its safe lets hold off on sending me anything. If I can pull off the standard controller, a pro-controller wont be that much harder. Ill post here as soon as I cast a controller in White.

Updates coming soon!

There is a lady making clear Nintendo NES system tops and door flaps on eBay. I'm very interested in the whole process. (ultimate end game would be a clear Genny, or Mini SNES top). Have you got any pointers tips or resources on this type of work. Or do you just suggest hitting google?

AX

Honestly thats how I got started... I was making twisty puzzles for a period of time and learned how to make moulds and pour resin that way....making these types of objects this way is more time consuming if you want them to turn out really well. As an example i spent at least eight hours just making sure my jag controller face shell (the side with the buttons) mould. Using two piece moulds you have to take your time and make sure the mould is EXACTLY how you want it, because each time you pour resin into the mould it will pick up every minute detail....including fingerprints.

Here are some sites that will get you started.

Alumilite (Liquid resin and mould making supplies)

Smooth On ( Silicon mould making supplies)

Your local hobby shop

Its not cheap to get started....once your up and running though (good quality moulds, experience with working with the materials..etc) you will find a rhythm and get great results.

Castling pieces is messy, smelly and time consuming...its also tons of fun to turn a few liquid chemicals into usable tools and finished parts. You can get really great results with 2 piece mould making.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Judas-Prime

Oh yeah...start small....clone a game d-pad to get familiar with making moulds, and mixing and pouring the resin.....it will teach you allot and the risk is small. Thats why I started on the controller buttons...I worked out the kinks on a small scale and applied what I learned to the controller shell moulds...invaluable lessons were learned during my many failures.

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 4

There are some main principles to know to build a convenient mould made of silicone.

I know mainly some webwites which have tutorials but they are all in french.

I assume there are many others in english too.

A good tips to know: to avoid air bubble in resin, place the mould in a vacuum bell just after having filled it.

Awesome stuff. Thank you so much. Yeah, I've had two part resin by the gallon in my eBay wish list for a while now, but I've not taken the plunge. This kind of thing really appeals to me. I've thought of making table tops with items embedded in them and such. Very good info. Keep up the good work. I may join you in a little dabbling of my own. I'll probably try some clear buttons and pads for Genesis controllers and systems first. It would be awesome to have a lit clear power / reset switch.

"The Double Dee"

Yes, well it is made from an Xbox 360 Analog Nub. I made a mould of the nub, Cast the nub in resin then placed it on one of my d-pads, I then made a new mould of the combined parts, this was all done so after casting, "The Double Dee" will be solid resin, the nub cannot come off as it is no longer a separate piece.

It feels pretty good, it changes the amount of travel my thumb has to take to activate the directionals....works very well with Tempest. I just like the look of it honestly...very aggressive styling. I have a few other ideas I may goof around with...more joystick / D-Pad ideas.

While I wait for some supplies to complete my controller shell moulds I started diving into the d-pad improvements. Here are a few pics of the super early stages.

Microswitch layout on blank breadboard

post-32638-0-56433300-1335576948_thumb.jpg

D-pad Fitting

post-32638-0-13172700-1335577254_thumb.jpg

D-pad clearance / positioning

post-32638-0-84460400-1335577053_thumb.jpg

Im hoping that this approach will allow me to simply remove the silicon membrane, replace it with the breadboard with all installed microswitches and simply put the controller back together. Metal leads that attach to the microswitches will be run beneath the breadboard and will make contact with the existing ground and leads for each directional on the upper controller circuit board. The idea is that is a drop in Mod with no soldering required....

so far so good...lets see how this turns out.

• Like 2

"The Double Dee"

While I wait for some supplies to complete my controller shell moulds I started diving into the d-pad improvements. Here are a few pics of the super early stages.

Microswitch layout on blank breadboard

post-32638-0-56433300-1335576948_thumb.jpg

D-pad Fitting

post-32638-0-13172700-1335577254_thumb.jpg

D-pad clearance / positioning

post-32638-0-84460400-1335577053_thumb.jpg

Im hoping that this approach will allow me to simply remove the silicon membrane, replace it with the breadboard with all installed microswitches and simply put the controller back together. Metal leads that attach to the microswitches will be run beneath the breadboard and will make contact with the existing ground and leads for each directional on the upper controller circuit board. The idea is that is a drop in Mod with no soldering required....

so far so good...lets see how this turns out.

I just tried my "drop in mod" and it works....I tested the method on the "up" directional only and it worked great..I will now apply the method to all directionals and post pics in a moment.

yay! good controls!

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 1

In the spirit of Openness and dare I say it Community... I will be documenting my mods in much greater detail from this point forward. I will be sharing any and all tips, tricks and methods I implore during my modding and will be as transparent as I can in sharing my techniques and thought processes to any all all members of this community.

Knowledge is power...and knowing is half the battle....

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 5

Almost forgot to mention..I have been playing around with a new style of d-pad. it has slightly raised "strike arms" on the bottom that reduce the amount of force required to press down the d-pad. Ill make a mould today and post some pics later. I also have silly d-pad replacement that I did just for fun....Ill post more pics of the mods as they become available in a new thread to reduce unnecessary off topic chatter. Also I will be sharing my mod concept for a removable rotary knob controller.... you know, for kids!

Have a great day all

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 2