IGNORED

Replacement Jag Controller Buttons

Judas-Prime

Disclosure: I received two complimentary sets of the replacement buttons in exchange for an honest review of the product.

A few days ago I got a treat in the mail: white and orange replacement buttons for the Jag controller. They came in an envelope with a small amount of bubble wrap surrounding them, so shipping should be fine for these small items and not result in any damage. I have not had time to install them yet, but wanted to share my thoughts on the buttons to give people some insight on them. The contour, color, and durability all seem excellent. There are no sharp edges or excess resin that I can see. The color is very consistent throughout and not splotchy at all. Given the quality combined with a low overall price, I would recommend the buttons to any Jaguar fan who wants to customize his controllers.

Next step is to install in a controller and fire up some games! Fortunately, the Jag is out as my kids have been playing NBA Jam, Soccer Kid, and Iron Soldier lately. Rise up, next gen of Jaguar fans! :)

• Like 3

Disclosure: I received two complimentary sets of the replacement buttons in exchange for an honest review of the product.

A few days ago I got a treat in the mail: white and orange replacement buttons for the Jag controller. They came in an envelope with a small amount of bubble wrap surrounding them, so shipping should be fine for these small items and not result in any damage. I have not had time to install them yet, but wanted to share my thoughts on the buttons to give people some insight on them. The contour, color, and durability all seem excellent. There are no sharp edges or excess resin that I can see. The color is very consistent throughout and not splotchy at all. Given the quality combined with a low overall price, I would recommend the buttons to any Jaguar fan who wants to customize his controllers.

Next step is to install in a controller and fire up some games! Fortunately, the Jag is out as my kids have been playing NBA Jam, Soccer Kid, and Iron Soldier lately. Rise up, next gen of Jaguar fans! :)

Thanks for the review Carl! I appreciate you taking the time to check out the butons and let everyone know what you think. Its awesome to hear that your kids are docking some Jag time! I always thought Soccer Kid was underrated, a solid game!

Thanks again!

Controller Case update!

I have improved the flow rate of the moulds so now I can pour the resin and not worry about it solidifying before I can fill the moulds...Somewhat... There are still problems with the mould that I will have to address in a future mould....I wont lie guys, I am having a hard time getting this right. I wil get it eventually, but its running through my supplies quickly and is getting pricey...Im gonna finish for sure. But it will take a bit longer. Good thing we Jag fans have plenty of time!

Here are some pics detailing the current state of the controller shells. You can see in the pic where I hold the shell up to the light, the opaque areas are weak spots where the resin did not settle. In this particular case, the mould shifted and created a leak, resulting in ALOT of resin pouring out an onto my work surface.....good think it peels right up if you catch it at the right time. Dont despair guys.....cases are coming...I just need to regroup and attack this differently.

Progress without failure is lessons unlearned.

PICS

post-32638-0-74221000-1336067959_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-56470700-1336067969_thumb.jpg

The Graveyard

Here are a variety of shells that, for whatever reason, are failures. I have plans for the scraps, just thought you would want to see.

post-32638-0-63143100-1336068212_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 3

Controller Shell Update!

Ok gang, we're getting close. Here is the lastest, and what I consider "ALPHA", Controller Shell. This one turned out the best of any casting so far. I have the amount of resin close to dialed in, the mould leaks ( all but one) have been plugged and there are no weak walls / unfilled areas anywhere on this latest shell. Fit is a different story as a few key features dont line up perfectly and the sides aren't lining up prefectly This is a result of my overzealous taping up of the mould (I think...almost positive this was my direct fault) so Its something I can improve on and avoid in future castings. So all In all....a long week of failure , and here we are ...one step closer. Casting technique refinement and consistency between castings is now my biggest issue / priority.

Enjoy the pics....

post-32638-0-19348500-1336096083_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-18792600-1336096105_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-52924200-1336096133_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-82348700-1336096163_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-95222000-1336096222_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-11561300-1336096233_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-00206200-1336096243_thumb.jpg

White Controller shell Next to a white Jag case.

post-32638-0-87730700-1336097517_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-89609800-1336097525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 7

Just a thought:

Possible to make the D-Rad stick in two pieces, with a press fit center pin that inserts into a hole in the center of the cross d-pad below? Would be convenient to remove the stick part for games where it doesn't work so well.

Just a thought:

Possible to make the D-Rad stick in two pieces, with a press fit center pin that inserts into a hole in the center of the cross d-pad below? Would be convenient to remove the stick part for games where it doesn't work so well.

That was actually the next thing I was going to try. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is getting the center pin big enough and deep enough in to the D-pad to be effective and comfortable as a joystick but then also making a confortable experience without the stick inserted......Plus its gotta look cool. I love the idea of interchangeable D-pad controls. Great idea ! I wil receive my next silicon shipment this week so Ill see what I can come up with..Yay more projects!!!! This will be a low priority unless it just falls together......its happened before.

Thanks for the great idea!

Not a critic but just something I was thinking about the dental Jag: as the resin doesn't have a glossy aspect I am afraid it needs to be paint to get it perfectly assorted to the dental Jag.

Because of that, there is no need anymore to use a jagpad made of resin as it is easier and cheaper to paint an existing Jag pad

A standard Jag pad is dark grey and resin is clearer but even if you want to paint in white in both case it needs surface primer before to paint so the clear color of resin doesn't give any advantage.

Now for other purposes and especially for customisation it stil makes sense as long as there is no need of painting.

Edited by Felyx

Not a critic but just something I was thinking about the dental Jag: as the resin doesn't have a glossy aspect I am afraid it needs to be paint to get it perfectly assorted to the dental Jag.

Because of that, there is no need anymore to use a jagpad made of resin as it is easier and cheaper to paint an existing Jag pad

A standard Jag pad is dark grey and resin is clearer but even if you want to paint in white in both case it needs surface primer before to paint so the clear color of resin doesn't give any advantage.

Now for other purposes and especially for customization it stil makes sense as long as there is no need of painting.

I think its personal preference, I like the textured feel of the controller so I dont want a glossy Jaguar pad.....but feel free to paint yours to be shiny I'm sure that would look fantastic! Resin comes in any many colors and can be dyed to pretty much anything you want. The lack of a glossy finish on the Jag pad has more to do with the textured finish than the types of dyes or painting. If you want a truly shiny Jag pad you could always wet sand one and then use plastic polish to create a high sheen, and then paint it.... For me ...Ill stay textured. :)

Thanks for the input!

Controller shell update!

SUCCESS!

I cast this shell in black as I am running low on white resin. My suspicions were correct...In taping the mould in for the previous shell I put too much lateral pressure on the sides of the mould and caused the internal mould structure to shift and warp. This time I Placed two pieces of cardboard (one on each side) and taped the mould up so that the pressure was distributed across the face and not the edges......anyway that solved the problem and this shell came out of the mould and right onto a Standard Jag controller. There were a few areas that needed a clean up , but other than that it was a nearly perfect fit. No weak spots, a solid pour and a nearly perfect replica.

post-32638-0-34372400-1336173708_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-86025400-1336173719_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-62976400-1336173733_thumb.jpg

Im pretty much out of resin ATM so no more controller shells are getting poured until my next shipment gets here (Tues of next week). I have enough to do some buttons and D-rads in black.... but other than that Im running dry on supplies.

• Like 4

Just curious about your experiment with controller housings. Are you thinking that there may be a market for people who have slammed theirs around, or just the possibility of customization through some optional color combinations?

Can you make a mold of any Jaguar part?

Im pretty sure I can.....as long as it doesn't have severe undercuts I should be able to make a mould out of just about anything. What part were you thinking of?

The little lid pin for the Jaguar CD players that pushed down on the switch to tell the Jaguar the lid is closed. It would probably be handy. I think people lose those from time to time.

Can you make a mold of any Jaguar part?

Im pretty sure I can.....as long as it doesn't have severe undercuts I should be able to make a mould out of just about anything. What part were you thinking of?

The little lid pin for the Jaguar CD players that pushed down on the switch to tell the Jaguar the lid is closed. It would probably be handy. I think people lose those from time to time.

Ah.....im not familiar with that part...but it sounds pretty simple if its just a small pin....

I'm really wanting to do some clear buttons and d-pads for various controllers so I can light them from inside. Eventually full shells in clear.

Thats awesome. Clear controllers with lights are super cool looking. I can order clear resin and make entire Jag controllers clear...buttons and all. It should work the same as the white and black resin. Something I'll look into after my move in a few weeks.

Just curious about your experiment with controller housings. Are you thinking that there may be a market for people who have slammed theirs around, or just the possibility of customization through some optional color combinations?

Its more about this is just something i wanted to do for fun. I have spent far too much money on it for it to be a "profitable " business so I didn't really think about the market. I assumed that there would be some individuals that would want colored cases, buttons, Jag console shells, etc.... so Once I get it dialed in to as close to 100% as I can....I'll offer them for sale for a reasonable price, but this was never a business for me.

• Like 5

Could you do 5200 controller casings and bezels in different colors?

Absolutely......the 5200 cases would be infinitely easier than the Jag controller. 5200 controllers are smaller, sharper angles, etc. The action buttons would be problematic as they are squishy....still working that out, but overall 5200 shells would not be too difficult....there are some challenges with the three buttons at the top and the numerical pad, but its nothing that I couldn't work around. The 5200 controller is my next full controller mould set I am going to make. I always loved the 5200 controller in spite of its terrible design and awful joystick mechanic.

Edited by Judas-Prime

Just a thought:

So while I was cleaning up I was reminded of your idead about a swappable style d-pad. I dissected a generic Saturn pad and luckily the D-pad is in two pieces...the D-pad part...and the Notch part. Long story short, after a few minutes of Dremel and drill action I think it will be possible to cast this into a silicon mould and cast a Jaguar D-pad with the notch, and then cast a variety of different controller types..Ball end joystick, D-RAD! controller, Atari 2600 Replica, an extra wide thumb tray for tempest 2000, whatever you want really.... I get more silicon this week so Ill cast this piece and post how it goes....Thanks for the awesome idea...I love tinkering like this.

Pics

post-32638-0-79073800-1336198315_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-67123100-1336198325_thumb.jpg

post-32638-0-27404400-1336198338_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-45763400-1336198347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 1