IGNORED

Replacement Jag Controller Buttons

Judas-Prime

Being able to do this is very handy. When you said Saturn I was reminded of my wireless Saturn pad that had a broken D-pad. It broke last year while playing Tempo :( one of the little tabs that holds in busted off and now it falls out. Those wireless Saturn pads usually go for allot. I'm getting more and more inspired, but alas the upstart of ordering stuff is what is keeping me from doing this right away.

Being able to do this is very handy. When you said Saturn I was reminded of my wireless Saturn pad that had a broken D-pad. It broke last year while playing Tempo :( one of the little tabs that holds in busted off and now it falls out. Those wireless Saturn pads usually go for allot. I'm getting more and more inspired, but alas the upstart of ordering stuff is what is keeping me from doing this right away.

Yeah I bought a generic Saturn pad for these Jaguar projects....I prefer to use Atari parts and design elements in my mods, but the D-pad was super comfortable and it felt great...so 6 bucks later its torn apart on my work bench. I hear ya....the mistakes are very expensive....I know that i wasted at least half of my supplies in learning mistakes...but it feels good to create something new. You could get up and running for around 80 bucks...... its not cheap but it sure is fun.

Can you make a mold of any Jaguar part?

Im pretty sure I can.....as long as it doesn't have severe undercuts I should be able to make a mould out of just about anything. What part were you thinking of?

The little lid pin for the Jaguar CD players that pushed down on the switch to tell the Jaguar the lid is closed. It would probably be handy. I think people lose those from time to time.

So I just took a look at my Jag CD and know exactly the part you are talking about. Yes, i can make that part very easily. And on a side note, The jag CD is a Kludge on the inside...some seriously bad and unnecessary industrial design choices. The part we are talking about is a good example.

Im pretty sure I can.....as long as it doesn't have severe undercuts I should be able to make a mould out of just about anything. What part were you thinking of?

The little lid pin for the Jaguar CD players that pushed down on the switch to tell the Jaguar the lid is closed. It would probably be handy. I think people lose those from time to time.

So I just took a look at my Jag CD and know exactly the part you are talking about. Yes, i can make that part very easily. And on a side note, The jag CD is a Kludge on the inside...some seriously bad and unnecessary industrial design choices. The part we are talking about is a good example.

Hey dont talk smack about our toilet. ;)

Hey dont talk smack about our toilet. ;)

Hahah right! I love the Jag and JagCD...but seriously I question some of the industrial design choices..The mech for telling the jag CD if the lid is closed or open is seriously terrible....You push the lid closed, the lid pushes a piece of plastic that is in an "S" type shape, onto a leaf switch that finally tells the jag CD that the lid is shut. A better mech would prolly have cost more that Atari wanted to spend. Im gonna try to make Jag CD case moulds after i get the controller shells completed.

Removable controller attachments Update

So I went ahead and placed the removable d-pad in a Jag Controller to test fit for fun.....surprise it fits perfectly!! You have to remove the orange cone spacer off of the the d-pad circuit board but it fits perfectly and improves the Jag D-Pad significantly...at least on this particular Jag Pad. So I think I will explore this further as this was a test fit, I would still want to cast a few moulds and then cast the pieces in solid resin...the usual. then I'll explore different attachements, joysticks, D-pads, etc.

post-32638-0-35770600-1336294412_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-24017400-1336294469_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-93117200-1336294500_thumb.jpg

Any requests?

• Like 5

Removable controller attachments Update

So I went ahead and placed the removable d-pad in a Jag Controller to test fit for fun.....surprise it fits perfectly!! You have to remove the orange cone spacer off of the the d-pad circuit board but it fits perfectly and improves the Jag D-Pad significantly...at least on this particular Jag Pad. So I think I will explore this further as this was a test fit, I would still want to cast a few moulds and then cast the pieces in solid resin...the usual. then I'll explore different attachements, joysticks, D-pads, etc.

post-32638-0-35770600-1336294412_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-24017400-1336294469_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-93117200-1336294500_thumb.jpg

Any requests?

A rubberized D-pad piece would be really neat

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

How about a little concave thumb stick ala the N64 analog stick, to fit into that stick port, complete with concentric grip ridges like the N64 thumb stick?

I could easily do that...if i had an N64 Controller to make moulds from. Alas I dont have a controller or a broken stick. If I come across one that I can get cheaply, Ill make a mould and can create the thumb pad your talking about.

Edited by Judas-Prime

You'll need a Chinchilla paw print in the plastic on the inside. Maybe number them with paw prints as well. Number 37 will have a whole new texture ;).

I fear I now have to come up with something cute for the inside of the "chinchilla" pro controller case moulds now. hahaha

• Like 1

Update....

Ok gang, so I have been out of supplies for a about a week now. I got my white resin and my order of silicone in the mail today. Good news / bad news..I only got half my order. So, I will attempt to make the remaining mould for the controller shell front and see if I have enough silicone. Looks like it might be tight though...

In other news I am moving to Los Angeles one week from today so I will not be ordering any new supplies until I am settled. This doesn't mean I will disappear...it only means that I will be down for a few days until my wife and I get settled in our new home and the internets gets hooked up. I have some big plans for future mold making as Los Angels has shops that I can drive to to get my supplies cheaply instead of ordering online and waiting. Im looking forward offering a wide variety of colors for d-pads, buttons, controller shells and Jag console shells. I even have a mod planed that I think people will really like...more on that later. Anyway just wanted to let you guys know what was going on....

Side note. I cast the first part of the mould for the interchangeable D-pad so I should be able to cast those is solid resin tonight and post something for you guys to see. I also refined the mech on the D-Rad Stick and will be casting one tonight...pics to follow.

Thanks for all the support.... I really appreciate it.

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 3

Here are a few shots of my workbench as I wait for lots and lots of silicone to cure. In this shot you can see the opened mould for the back shell of a controller, the curing mould for the front half of the controller, various d-pad and button moulds and general supplies and tools. Nothing fancy , just thought you guys would like to see into a window of my workspace.

post-32638-0-07382100-1336623616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 5

Front Controller shell mould Update

HI gang, here is a quick update to the Front Controller shell mould. Looks like everything turned out perfect. This half was challenging as there are three different cut lines that I needed to make sure lined up so I wouldn't have any unnecessary blemishes or "flashing" that would require extra detailing after casting. All in all Im very happy with this mould and will pour the second half tomorrow...I can almost guarantee that I dont have enough liquid silicone, but we'll see once I start pouring.

post-32638-0-51998300-1336631353_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-71699500-1336631366_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

just thought you guys would like to see into a window of my workspace.

post-32638-0-07382100-1336623616_thumb.jpg

LEGO! :thumbsup:

Legos are the best for making mould containers.....reusable, versatile, rugged. I actually need to buy more as I dont have enough for larger moulds...

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 1

Exchangeable D-Pad attachements Update!..New Name

Hi gang.... Here is a quick update on the exchangeable D-pad attachments. First I gave it a new name..."The D-Mod". I cast the D-pad in resin then put it in a controller. It was a pretty seamless operation....until I de-moulded the resin cast piece and saw lots of imperfections and general ugliness....in other words...FAIL! The D-pad I used to make the initial silicon moulds was defective and I didn't catch it .... so I poured a new fresh d-pad, then rebuilt the whole thing and am pouring a new Silicon mould as we "speak".

Here are some pics of the existing "defective" D-Mod.

post-32638-0-86138300-1336639276_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-92754800-1336639287_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-87158400-1336639304_thumb.jpg

In the first Pic Below you can see a shot of the D-Mod (on the right) next to a standard style Jag D-Pad (on the left). You can see that the "strike arms" on the original Jag D-pad are quite small, they work but the design was chosen (I believe) because it uses very little plastic..cost effective! My D-Mod replaces the small strike arms with a wide "Strike Cross" resulting in a larger surface area, thus making contact with the entire surface of the silicon membrane beneath the D-pad. This wider "Strike Cross" does require you to remove the little Orange spacer beneath the D-pad but personally I see no need for this piece anyway....as usual YMMV. I removed them on all of my controllers and it only improved the responsiveness....try it yourself.. its a totally reversible mod.

post-32638-0-62650500-1336639317_thumb.jpg post-32638-0-07866600-1336639327_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 3

With all your plastics you got me thinking about video game themed chocolates now. Someone made a joke about a "mint" 2600 in the marketplace. One thing lead to another. In order to get enough sales for it to be worth while I'd probably use some smaller and widely known geeky gamer items for the molds, but this is certainly a great idea.

Received my D-Rad in the mail today. It was a perfect fit replacement for the stock d-pad. I am going to try it out tonight and will report back on results. Initially, it feels great, like the way the Jag controller should have been from the factory.